The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EternalDoom
Exactly! and it doesn't help that i'm slow at maths :colondollar:

Surely if it's to gauge your aptitude, you should be able to grab a calculator. You'd have access to one if you were working as an actual doctor! XD
Original post by Joseppea
Surely if it's to gauge your aptitude, you should be able to grab a calculator. You'd have access to one if you were working as an actual doctor! XD

Exactly. And cause it's 20****ing11, every single phone has a calculator on it too.
Reply 5362
Just did some verbal reasoning practice on the 600 UKCAt book but it went horribly :frown: Tried to rush but still had 12 of the questions left unanswered and in my haste the percentage of correct answers was worse then when I practiced without time limit. Anyone got tips on VR? Do any of you guys know speed reading? heh.
Original post by Straight up G
Well, one thing which irks me about the standard one, is that you can't use your keyboard to type in the numbers. So if I had to type in 38768.6 on the keyboard, it would take me 1-2 seconds, but if I had to do it manually with the mouse on the computer, it would take 5-6 seconds, and QR is the most timepressed one, so I need those extra seconds.

Where does it say that you can't use the keyboard to type into the calculator? In a standard on-screen calculator, you can use the keyboard.
Reply 5364
Original post by rhetoric
Alright I think :smile: you?
Well I find it the easiest out of all of them- hope I haven't jinxed it or anything :P eek my exam is on Tuesday :/

That's great and same here :smile:
And don't worry sure it will all go fine :biggrin:
Hey guys...
Ahh we have to give in our draft personal statements in 2moz!!
Reply 5366
Original post by roar558
Where does it say that you can't use the keyboard to type into the calculator? In a standard on-screen calculator, you can use the keyboard.

they give you on as well.
Reply 5367
yh my school made us hand in our first drafts for our personal statements a 2 weeks cause we had a help session day and then got 4 days to hang it in after ive done like 6 drafts of it after and just came back from one of my work experience hospital placements today and already i want to add and remove things so having an early draft is good cause then you just build off it :smile:
Reply 5368
Original post by Nator
That's great and same here :smile:
And don't worry sure it will all go fine :biggrin:

Cool :smile: thanks, I'm sure yours will too :smile:
Reply 5369
Cool :smile: thanks, I'm sure yours will too :smile:

No prob and thanks :biggrin:
I am so behind, im nowhere near a decent first draft of my personal statement. Its a lot more difficult than i expected. Plus im new to student room so im spending hours reading through all the different threads trying to absorb all the information.
I can't even be bothered to do a draft until I've done most of my work experience.
Reply 5372
If you pm me the unis you know, then I'll do the ones I know. Then I'll ask for knowledge of the unis that other people know, and produce a table.

So far I know;

Leeds - optional mark available if you attain 2800, and are one below the interview criteria

Leicester - graded out of 30, 3000+ is 30, 2900 is 29, 2100+ is 21, etc. Combined with academics (also out of 30) as initial filtering to remove the bottom end of candidates

Sheffield - cut off, 717.5 average last year. Changes every year but usually around that mark.

Barts have a cut off, don't know what but apparently it was much lower than usual this year

Kings combine it with GCSE grades

All I know is:
Newcastle rank the top 1000-1200 applicants by UKCAT and interview them;
Sheffield do something similar I think;
Leeds at the open day told me that they only use the UKCAT on borderline decisions, which is different to what you have said;
Edinburgh use it as only 8% of your application alongside everything else.
Original post by loz876
All I know is:
Newcastle rank the top 1000-1200 applicants by UKCAT and interview them;
Sheffield do something similar I think;
Leeds at the open day told me that they only use the UKCAT on borderline decisions, which is different to what you have said;
Edinburgh use it as only 8% of your application alongside everything else.

100% that Sheffield operated a 2870 cut off point last year, because it's mentioned on their website.

100% that what I said about Leeds is true too, I have their prospectus and letters from people who failed to get in. They grade your academics, PS and reference out of 46. The interview mark last year was 39. If you attained 38 on the marking, and gained over 2800 (700 average) on the UKCAT, you could gain an extra, optional, bonus mark to take your score to 39 and into the interview places.

Edit: Went on Leeds website, it also says this;

'UKCAT scores will be taken into account during the final stages of the Admissions process. Credit will be given at this point for high scores.'

That being said, I know people who have applied and got in with fairly modest UKCAT scores (580-650ish)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5374
Well I find it the easiest out of all of them- hope I haven't jinxed it or anything :P eek my exam is on Tuesday :/

tomorrow ?? :O

Today Tuesday?
How'd it go? :smile:
Reply 5376
On the UCAS form, under additional information, you can list the activities in preparation for higher education, for example summer schools, Medlink/Medsim etc. I was just wondering if you didn't have any would you be at any disadvantage - like is it actually a criteria a uni may mark on?
Original post by liviaaa
On the UCAS form, under additional information, you can list the activities in preparation for higher education, for example summer schools, Medlink/Medsim etc. I was just wondering if you didn't have any would you be at any disadvantage - like is it actually a criteria a uni may mark on?

Definitely not. All Medlink/Medsim prove is that you have money to burn, that's a quote from a Notts admissions tutor, which is even more significant because Notts run Medlink/Medsim.

Now if you went on a summer school, like the ones that Oxford/the Sutton Trust run (I'm not financially eligible), that would be impressive and perhaps something they'd consider, but still unlikely.
Original post by liviaaa

When I saw this section on the UCAS and didnt have anything to put.. it did depress me slightly :redface:
Buutt.. from what I can gather it doesnt matter.. its just like an optional extra type thing... (although I'm not too sure)
Reply 5379
Definitely not. All Medlink/Medsim prove is that you have money to burn, that's a quote from a Notts admissions tutor, which is even more significant because Notts run Medlink/Medsim.

Now if you went on a summer school, like the ones that Oxford/the Sutton Trust run (I'm not financially eligible), that would be impressive and perhaps something they'd consider, but still unlikely.

Haha, thanks. :tongue:

Original post by spoinkytheduck
When I saw this section on the UCAS and didnt have anything to put.. it did depress me slightly :redface:
Buutt.. from what I can gather it doesnt matter.. its just like an optional extra type thing... (although I'm not too sure)

Yes same for me, I suddenly started panicking...

--

My school haven't mentioned it, and if it was important I'm sure they would have highlighted it to us.

Latest

Trending

Trending