The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Gone Baby Gone - finally watched it, and yes I did like it. That is all.

:getmecoat:
Original post by kflynn

Totally agree. Lets just hope this next instalment is a good as the first. I always fear sequel's because there is so much expectation to deliver.

And I kept hearing awesome things about that TV series, I really must watch it.

The bad aspects of the first film IMO were the villain and the general supernatural vs logic plot. You knew the former could not function in a world with the latter but the cheap tricks they were revealed to be was even more disappointing. This one has Moriarty so it should be much, much better.

The TV series is awesome. A true representation of British quality drama. There are 3 x 90 minute episodes and by the end of it you'll have a hard time choosing which Sherlock you prefer: Robert Downey Junior or Benedict Cumberbatch.

Also both the main actors, Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman) have been cast in The Hobbit films. Smaug and Bilbo respectively.
Benedict Cumberbatch is a better Sherlock, I find. Robert Downey Jr is just playing Downey Jr to be fair.
Original post by Madjackismad
Benedict Cumberbatch is a better Sherlock, I find. Robert Downey Jr is just playing Downey Jr to be fair.

I agree. Downey Jr's is a great film, but Cumberbatch is the better Holmes.
I think it's because Benedict is such a great character actor as well. He was brilliant as Stephen Hawking.

Downey Jr was excellent as Chaplin which was the only movie of his I watched before he went off the rails and I've found he's been playing himself from Iron Man onwards. Tropic Thunder is an exception, obviously. :p:
In Tropic Thunder, he's a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. :tongue:
Going to watch The Inside Job now after a certain someone has been hyping it up! Got the DVD sent over from the U.S.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3127
Going to see X Men first class thursday. Was going to see Transformers but all I have heard is bad things.

May just wait for a DVD rip it to come out and buy it on dvd
Sunshine on Channel 4. Very under-appreciated science fiction from Boyle. Probably one of my favourite sci-fi films from the last few years, if not my favourite.
Reply 3129
I feel like a bad film fanatic. I haven't been to the cinema at all this year. I can't find anything I'm particuarly fussed about seeing.
Look harder tbh :pierre:
Original post by Madjackismad
I think it's because Benedict is such a great character actor as well. He was brilliant as Stephen Hawking.

Downey Jr was excellent as Chaplin which was the only movie of his I watched before he went off the rails and I've found he's been playing himself from Iron Man onwards. Tropic Thunder is an exception, obviously. :p:

And, of course, credit to Gatiss & co for writing Holmes so well.

I haven't seen any RDJ film (apart from Tropic Thunder, obviously :p:) where he hasn't been playing himself. And I haven't seen an RDJ film that I haven't liked, so he can go on doing it!
Reply 3132
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
This?

Spoiler

:tongue:

If that's it, then I'll add it to the OP. :smile:

Top girl. :awesome:
Reply 3133
Original post by GeordieEdgeDXB
The film 'Doghouse' (Danny Dyer, Noel Clarke) came out in 2009, yet it's just being advertised out here, halfway through 2011.

Sounds like Dubai's got it about right. :moon:

In Tropic Thunder, he's a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. :tongue:

hur hur quoting comedic lines just never gets old, no matter whether or not they were even funny in the first place.

Spoiler

Going to watch The Inside Job now after a certain someone has been hyping it up! Got the DVD sent over from the U.S.

Brilliant film. What did you think?
Just watched The Experiment. A solid 2/10 for that :facepalm2:.
Original post by Phalanges
Brilliant film. What did you think?

Shocking and an absolute eye opener.

First of all the research that went into this and the interviews were fantastic and provided so much insight. It did a brilliant job of actually informing me of what actually went on as well as the various elements; sub prime loans receiving AAA ratings, deregulation, increase in leverages, toxic CDOs and credit-default swaps. It's also facinating to see how it began to take form and then the actual bubble bursting and resulting impact on countries and people. Fun facts: Earning money stimulates the same part of the brain as cocaine.

I went back and read your review and would agree the questions posed were intelligent and penetrating. Also great to see Matt Damon get behind this by narrating it.

Glen Hubbard, who started to get edgy towards the end, seems like a real prick.

Also, "I had to leave [when everything was going to ****] to revise my textbook" :rofl:

It should be compulsory viewing for all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3137
Just finished watching 'Unknown'. Thought it was nothing more than mediocre, and seemed to drag on a fair bit. Towards the end of the film a sense of deja vu seemed to set in, as if I had seen something similer before.....anyone else think the film was trying to much to be another Bourne rip off?
Original post by kflynn
Just finished watching 'Unknown'. Thought it was nothing more than mediocre, and seemed to drag on a fair bit. Towards the end of the film a sense of deja vu seemed to set in, as if I had seen something similer before.....anyone else think the film was trying to much to be another Bourne rip off?

Taken too.

EDIT: I did get some Bourne vibes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Going to do a run through of Die Hard films. In the mood for some macho action.

Original post by Pi!
I feel like a bad film fanatic. I haven't been to the cinema at all this year. I can't find anything I'm particuarly fussed about seeing.

Like an existential crisis, only with films. There haven't been too many 'must watch' films anyway. Are there any upcoming films that interests you?

Quick Reply

Latest