The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Sounds stupid to me. Oxford say they understand if your PS is solely economics for that course, but it doesn't make sense that universities actively discriminate like that. Why does it matter if it has a small amount of management in? Surely they can understand that people might want to apply to slightly different courses at different places...

I'm guessing that it's more because if you mention Management and apply to UCL or whatever, it's highly likely that you applied to Oxford. From their side it's a waste of an offer because should you get one from Oxford, they're an insurance.
Reply 1061
Original post by Psychotic546
I'm guessing that it's more because if you mention Management and apply to UCL or whatever, it's highly likely that you applied to Oxford. From their side it's a waste of an offer because should you get one from Oxford, they're an insurance.

Suppose it makes sense from that point of view :smile: I find it very strange that Oxford don't offer straight economics, with it being such a popular subject.
Reply 1062
Original post by Tateco
-

do you think its possible to create some sort of table listing the universities people have got in for economics and their predicted grades etc?
Reply 1063
Original post by alnov
do you think its possible to create some sort of table listing the universities people have got in for economics and their predicted grades etc?

Okay...

Everyone post their predicted grades (and subjects for AS) as well as subjects for A2 and the universities you are thinking of applying to

Username
Predicted AS grades (and subjects):
Subjects for A2):
Universities likely to apply to:
Extras:

Quote me with a "." and leave it in that format and then I'll add you
(edited 12 years ago)
You already have your predicted A2? Thought we got them after AS results.
Would also be better if we waited for results day to post those things?
Reply 1065
You already have your predicted A2? Thought we got them after AS results.
Would also be better if we waited for results day to post those things?

It's my personal predictions... but you can if you want, someone just asked :smile:
Original post by Tateco
It's my personal predictions... but you can if you want, someone just asked :smile:

Wouldn't want to predict my grades, just sets you up to fail :s-smilie:
Mind you for Cambridge you need to predict your UMS :biggrin:
Reply 1067
Original post by Tateco

I was actually thinking of a table for last years applicants :colondollar: but I guess this will help people as well after we get our predicted grades.
Reply 1068
Original post by alnov
I was actually thinking of a table for last years applicants :colondollar: but I guess this will help people as well after we get our predicted grades.

No way am I making a massive table of all of last years applicants, sorry!
Reply 1069
Wouldn't want to predict my grades, just sets you up to fail :s-smilie:
Mind you for Cambridge you need to predict your UMS :biggrin:

Changed it to predicted AS grades only...
Original post by Tateco
Changed it to predicted AS grades only...

Predicted AS grades don't really give much of an indicator of a applicant's strength though.

I've already achieved 4 As at AS (and a B in critical thinking) but my profile is no where near as strong as many who post in this thread.

I guess there's not much you can do about it though if you guys haven't got your predictions, could maybe add GCSEs to the table and any particuarly relevant work experience (the kind of stuff you would actually include in an economics PS) / extra curriculars.
Reply 1071
Original post by Competencies
Predicted AS grades don't really give much of an indicator of a applicant's strength though.

I've already achieved 4 As at AS (and a B in critical thinking) but my profile is no where near as strong as many who post in this thread.

I guess there's not much you can do about it though if you guys haven't got your predictions, could maybe add GCSEs to the table and any particuarly relevant work experience (the kind of stuff you would actually include in an economics PS) / extra curriculars.

If you want to suggest a format then I'll roll with it, I'm not going to sit here all night trying to think of a way to do it :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
If you want to suggest a format then I'll roll with it, I'm not going to sit here all night trying to think of a way to do it :tongue:

Haha sorry for slating you for trying :smile:
I think just wait till results day?
Original post by Tateco

I'd go with something like:

Username

Achieved GCSE grades (could potentially add subjects as there will be some people with say A*s in ICT and to be honest I doubt many universities will give a **** about that).

Predicted AS grades (and subjects) (could also mention if you are at a private/state school).

Subjects for A2 (include any AS subjects you may pick up).

Work experience (only work experience you would actually include on an economics personal statement, admissions won't give a **** if you've done work experience at an IB etc.)

Extra curriculars (such as DofE, again, only stuff you would actually include on an economics personal statement).

Likely university choices.

I think that kind of format would give a better indicator of a candidate's strength but then I'm not sure if everyone would be comfortable posting so much information.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1074
Original post by Competencies
I'd go with something like:

Username

Achieved GCSE grades (could potentially add subjects as there will be some people with say A*s in ICT and to be honest I doubt many universities will give a **** about that).

Predicted AS grades (and subjects) (could also mention if you are at a private/state school).

Subjects for A2 (include any AS subjects you may pick up).

Work experience (only work experience you would actually include on an economics personal statement, admissions won't give a **** if you've done work experience at an IB etc.)

Extra curriculars (such as DofE, again, only stuff you would actually include on an economics personal statement).

Likely university choices.

I think that kind of format would give a better indicator of a candidate's strength but then I'm not sure if everyone would be comfortable posting so much information.

I personally wouldn't want to post all that. I think stick with the format I have done and just add a "anything else you want to say" section?

Haha sorry for slating you for trying :smile:
I think just wait till results day?

No problem :tongue:
Have a pretty strong academic profile, and looking forward to explaining why i want to study economics in my personal statement.

However, i have very little extra curricular to mention, no relevant work experience and im struggling to include anything on the non-academic "third" of my personal statement.

Is it really worth voluntaring at a charity shop?

Any suggestiona on what i could do which would help my situation will be much appreciated.
Reply 1076
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks
Have a pretty strong academic profile, and looking forward to explaining why i want to study economics in my personal statement.

However, i have very little extra curricular to mention, no relevant work experience and im struggling to include anything on the non-academic "third" of my personal statement.

Any suggestiona on what i could do which would help my situation will be much appreciated.

Other than the obvious feeling of helping humanity, volunteering at a charity shop is useless in terms of applying for Economics. Anyway, so how strong an academic profile are we talking :wink:?
Reply 1077
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks

My non-academic stuff is certainly not a third. I have a paragraph about extra activities relating directly to economics, but only a very small section (300 characters) about my hobbies, I don't really see what it adds to my application (would appreciate it if someone from PS help could confirm/reject this comment) :s-smilie:

EDIT: I pretty much only mention my hobbies, including young enterprise within that list, as I don't think young enterprise is actually directly relevant to economics...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
My non-academic stuff is certainly not a third. I have a paragraph about extra activities relating directly to economics, but only a very small section (300 characters) about my hobbies, I don't really see what it adds to my application (would appreciate it if someone from PS help could confirm/reject this comment) :s-smilie:

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you're talking about, but if it's not relevant to your course, why you want to study it, or why you'd be suitable, then it really doesn't add anything at all.
Reply 1079
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Hard to say without knowing exactly what you're talking about, but if it's not relevant to your course, why you want to study it, or why you'd be suitable, then it really doesn't add anything at all.

Okay, I'm going to work on it for about another week or so and then I'll post it up and get it torn apart (hopefully :biggrin:)

Latest

Trending

Trending