The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AwsomePossum

Mods err please change the thread title to is there any stark raving devil worshiping wierdos around?

And why would that title fit?

I've just been reading a book describing various traditions of paginism, called Pagan Paths by Peter Jennings... finding it quite interesting, seeing where various offshoots of Wicca start, and so forth... I now at least vaguely know the difference between Gadenerian and Alexandrian Wicca, and why they spilt...
Reply 181
Hello there, eclectic pagan here, still discovering my path (aren't we all? :P). *waves*
Original post by Skwee
Hello there, eclectic pagan here, still discovering my path (aren't we all? :P). *waves*

Hi! I'm an eclectic pagan too, as are some other regulars on the thread :h: :wavey:
Eclectic paganism certainly does seem to be a popular choice for solitary pagans... I suppose we have more freedom when you aren't tied to the beliefs of others in the coven!
Original post by Teao the Cat
Eclectic paganism certainly does seem to be a popular choice for solitary pagans... I suppose we have more freedom when you aren't tied to the beliefs of others in the coven!

We could play pagan top trumps! :eek:

Spoiler

Reply 185
I've no idea on how that would even work...
Reply 186
Trumps aye? Intriiiiguing... :O

Yeah, eclectic does seem to popular... I've never been in a coven myself - looked for one in my area once (I'm sure they exist but they must be well hidden or hate the internet...) and managed to get in contact with one guy, but found him a bit too creepy (old pervert style) and we never did meet up. Solitary ftw. :smile:

Off-topic...and a silly question: How do you guys change that thing just below your username, like mine says new member or whatever, Hylean's says TSR Demigod, etc?
Original post by Skwee

Yeah, eclectic does seem to popular... I've never been in a coven myself - looked for one in my area once (I'm sure they exist but they must be well hidden or hate the internet...) and managed to get in contact with one guy, but found him a bit too creepy (old pervert style) and we never did meet up. Solitary ftw. :smile:

Off-topic...and a silly question: How do you guys change that thing just below your username, like mine says new member or whatever, Hylean's says TSR Demigod, etc?

I think you have to subscribe to customize it. But you get different 'ranks' depending on how many posts you have made. :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Skwee

Original post by Pandora.
I think you have to subscribe to customize it. But you get different 'ranks' depending on how many posts you have made. :smile:

Aye, mine's based on the fact I've made far too many posts on this website. Otherwise, you become a sub and then you can change it.

To be honest, I don't think solitaries can be anything but eclectic.
Reply 189
Ahh, thanks Pandora and Hylean. I'm a bit of a forum n00b. :P

Original post by Hylean
To be honest, I don't think solitaries can be anything but eclectic.

Hmm I don't know about that, I know at least one person who's strongly into Kemetic reconstructionism and won't refer to anything else...and also know of a couple of Norse reconstructionists. Personally I prefer to stick with a slightly broader view, for now at least.
Reply 190
Original post by Skwee
Hmm I don't know about that, I know at least one person who's strongly into Kemetic reconstructionism and won't refer to anything else...and also know of a couple of Norse reconstructionists. Personally I prefer to stick with a slightly broader view, for now at least.

Nyah, problem with those ones is that if they are separated from the main groups, they develop their own ideas, etc. which may not be in keeping with the main religion. Not saying this is a bad thing, just that it happens. Sort of means they become eclectic without meaning to.
Reply 191
Original post by Hylean
Nyah, problem with those ones is that if they are separated from the main groups, they develop their own ideas, etc. which may not be in keeping with the main religion. Not saying this is a bad thing, just that it happens. Sort of means they become eclectic without meaning to.

Ah I see what you mean. You're right. I suppose developing one's ideas is bound to happen regardless indeed.

So what was this about trumpets...
On the subject of covens, I had the chance to join a Pagan society at uni, and had every intention of doing so, until I got there and suddenly got scared that they'd think I 'Wasn't a real pagan' because I didn't believe this or the other that someone else did. Silly, now I think about it, but hey...

Aso, they all seemed to have a uniform of long black leather coats. I can;t say I fancied the fashion statement! :p:
Reply 193
Aso, they all seemed to have a uniform of long black leather coats. I can;t say I fancied the fashion statement! :p:

Matrix-style? :biggrin:
Original post by Skwee

Original post by Skwee
Matrix-style? :biggrin:

Very! They met in the same place as a few other societies, so when freshers asked how to find their way to this place, they were told just to follow a long black leather coat!
Reply 195
Very! They met in the same place as a few other societies, so when freshers asked how to find their way to this place, they were told just to follow a long black leather coat!

Well that's a good way of not getting lost and accidentally ending up in the Scientology society...
Reply 196
Mods err please change the thread title to is there any stark raving devil worshiping wierdos around?

Do you even know what paganism is?
Pagans don't worship the devil because we don't believe in it, that's a Christian concept.
Reply 197
Original post by Skwee
Well that's a good way of not getting lost and accidentally ending up in the Scientology society...

Haha!
My cousin used to have a coat like that :facepalm2:
Reply 198
Hmmm, alternative music and alternative religions, I wonder what the connection is.
Reply 199
Original post by joanna-eve
Haha!
My cousin used to have a coat like that :facepalm2:

I used to want one (many moons ago...), then I realised they're probably quite heavy so I'd end up looking like a hunchback and also I'm not sure they cater for the 5'2'' height. :biggrin:

Original post by Hylean
Hmmm, alternative music and alternative religions, I wonder what the connection is.

Alternative music as in...metal? Celtic? Folk music? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending