The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4460
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I'm far too young and pretty for pensions.

I've had an NHS pension since I was 18. Let's not forget whose in the better position here :tongue: :tongue:
Original post by lekky
I've had an NHS pension since I was 18. Let's not forget whose in the better position here :tongue: :tongue:

Why? My understanding is that if you want a pension, put in a private fund somewhere, away from the influences of successive governments who will inevitably alter the system a million times before you become old enough to get anything back, and that there won't be anything much in the public sector pension pot anyway.
Reply 4462
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Why? My understanding is that if you want a pension, put in a private fund somewhere, away from the influences of successive governments who will inevitably alter the system a million times before you become old enough to get anything back, and that there won't be anything much in the public sector pension pot anyway.

Your employer isn't going to contribute anything to a private fund! And the NHS pension is linked to length of membership.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
Is it odd that I feel like doing prep work for year 3 so I don't look like a complete fool in clinics :sigh:?

I've been told it's a good idea to keep going over stuff though just so you're not a complete div when you do hit the wards. Some guys from uni I know are doing this or atleast thinking of starting a few weeks before term resumes.

I wish I knew what to do prior to starting my bsc though...I feel like I'm wasting my summer working and going out and stuff and not doing anything academically related. :s
Original post by Medicine Man
I've been told it's a good idea to keep going over stuff though just so you're not a complete div when you do hit the wards. Some guys from uni I know are doing this or atleast thinking of starting a few weeks before term resumes.

I wish I knew what to do prior to starting my bsc though...I feel like I'm wasting my summer working and going out and stuff and not doing anything academically related. :s

It's going to be one of your last decent-sized summers. I'd chiefly use it to do whatever I want.
Currently teaching myself nephrology, gastro and hepatobilliary - it's how our rotations have worked out. What do I absolutly need to know, any advice folks?
Reply 4466
Original post by lekky
got to decide if I want to move from 1995 pension section to 2008 pension section. currently trying to figure out what all this means. Anyone know anything?

its all really confusing. NHS website vair unhelpful.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Pensions/SD_Guide_-_%28V6%29_03.2011.pdf

There's a good summary on page 3 there I think :redface:

edit: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Pensions/2681.aspx and a couple of worked examples there. not sure what it means by 'revalued' though, perhaps accounting for inflation - I can try and find out though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wangers
Currently teaching myself nephrology, gastro and hepatobilliary - it's how our rotations have worked out. What do I absolutly need to know, any advice folks?

I should really know this, having just done all three of those... Um, Medicine At A Glance seems to cover all the necessary topics in just enough detail. I would think glomerular nephropathies, acute and chronic renal failure, renal replacement therapy, transplantation for nephro, and it's too early in the morning for me to think about the others.
Original post by n1r4v
Out of curiosity, are there really BOD / MIMS type esoteric questions during any clinical school exams? I was always under the impression that clinical school would have a lot more "problem-solving" / less "detail" oriented questions.

There were a few weird questions relying on pre-clinical knowledge e.g. 'Which of these structures lies on the trans-pyloric plane?' but by and large, the questions were clinical.
Sonisphere in 3 days!! Bring it.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
That's what Prof K told us... :dontknow: When are your results out?

I don't disagree, I'm just as surprised as you are.

Out on Friday and meanwhile I feel like I'm in Limbo.
Reply 4471
Original post by crazylemon
My gut would be no but it depends on which pension you were on for the 95' lot as I know final salary ones were got rid of in the 08' If you can get final salary then guard it with your life. But I don't know the logistics myself as I am yet to have to deal with this...

Ah good point. Though '08 looks at your earnings for the last 10 years and averages the earnings from the highest 3 years. then does some funky math including your years of membership to the pension. At least thats what the handy video said. I really have no idea, might just get my dad to explain it to me/advise me on what to do :colondollar:
Original post by Mushi_master

Gojira, mother licker. Tis going to be sick.
Reply 4473

Jealous much!
Original post by lekky
Ah good point. Though '08 looks at your earnings for the last 10 years and averages the earnings from the highest 3 years. then does some funky math including your years of membership to the pension. At least thats what the handy video said. I really have no idea, might just get my dad to explain it to me/advise me on what to do :colondollar:

Ahh yes, I need to think about this too...

In other news, SSC started today - assessing the sick patient. ITU/outreach looking at how to manage and get to grips with sickies. 2 weeks worth both with outreach - looking at sickies on the ward tci and on the unit. Really good so far, steep learning curve, but it's all general medicine :biggrin:
Reply 4475

Sonisphere! I wish. *sulks*
Cannot believe how good this year's line up is. Defecates all over the other summer festivals, that is for sure!
Reply 4477
Cannot believe how good this year's line up is. Defecates all over the other summer festivals, that is for sure!

I knoww! :O Too bad it won't come to my little corner of the world, sniffle sniffle. I'll just have to stick to, erm, my iPod I guess. :frown:
Original post by Skwee
I knoww! :O Too bad it won't come to my little corner of the world, sniffle sniffle. I'll just have to stick to, erm, my iPod I guess. :frown:

Where about do you come from? I'm having to drive pretty much the width of the country to get there.
Reply 4479
Where about do you come from? I'm having to drive pretty much the width of the country to get there.

Portugal. Bit further South! :P (That, and I don't think my brain would be able to cope with a Paediatrics exam the monday after...the gig awesomeness would be too much!) They should've waited for August when I'll be in the UK, but noooo. >.>