The Student Room Group

Is it inevitable that Britain or the US will get attacked in the near future?

Scroll to see replies

NATO would be treaty have to intervene pulling in a good part of the world on our side.

Anyone stupid enough to try it is going to feel the force of the entire NATO forces.
Original post by Swimmer
Oo is that game good? :biggrin: Looks sick on the cover!

It's not too bad. It's similar to CoD (as you'd expect) but the campaign is more focused on the human side of war than CoD ever would be. I'd say rent it and see if you like it.

Multiplayer is amazing though. The kill rewards are more inventive and also not as overpowered IMO. If you like the urban setting of war then you'll have a blast, as you can traipse through someone's garden etc.

I've just read that there will be a Homefront sequel, set in London. I'd love to see the story behind that, purely because it'd probably follow this sort of idea.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Swimmer
Thats true, but only a small fraction of British troops expereinced combat and its only for few months.

Thats not my scenario im just comparing armies.

Also, the are alot of soldiers who stay on in army too...

This is the manpower...

Russia: Active: 1,027,000, Reserves:20,000,000, Paramilitary:449,000, Total:21,476,000

United Kingdom 175,690 199,280 0 374,970

United States 1,580,255 864,547 11,035 2,455,837

I didint include Australia and NZ as both have like 100k troops.

Also, Im not saying Russia can take on US, coz atm I dont think they can, hopefully the war will never happen between the countries mentioned, we need to focus our interest to greater threats, i.e Middle East.

lets be real for a minute. Picture what a war between Russia and the US would really entail. Nukes are out of the question but both sides are far worse weapons.

Pray it never happens because a war WOULD take humanity to the brink of destruction
Reply 83
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Please sort out your grammar.

Also, it's 'definitely' not whatever variation you have tried.

Recently the UK has announced the withdrawal of development aid to India, Russia and China, amongst other nations. This is not going to help relations between the two nations (UK and India).

I think the OP has been playing too much Homefront.

oh no the grammar police :eek:
even with withdrawing aid India wouldnt side with russia, russia and isreal are both very close allies along with other British allies, they aid russia in a war, they lose a lot of their other allies and would be left with a few mainly middle eastern countries
in a war with UK, USA Vs Russia they wouldnt get involved
Original post by Inzamam99
Yes the potential massacre of the Libyan people by Gaddafi does justify military action against him. Unfortunately that's not the reason for Western interference- it's more because they know they won't be able to justifiably siphon oil off Gaddafi in the future and maintain their integrity. Therefore they'll get rid of him and get their oil from the new government which no doubt they'll "help" to form.

Do you really think the West would have stopped a massacre if Libya didn't have oil? Do you genuinely think they'd intervene if the same **** kicks off yet again in the DRC or Rwanda or Mozambique? No.

Where was the oil in Serbia then?

anyway, what's wrong with securing oil flows? our economy runs on the stuff.
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Where was the oil in Serbia then?

anyway, what's wrong with securing oil flows? our economy runs on the stuff.

So, in the future if Britain becomes a weak country but suddenly discovers huge reserves of oil, you wouldn't mind lets say the Russians launching a massive illegal invasion and killing hundreds of thousands of people under the pretext that they need oil to run their economy.
So, in the future if Britain becomes a weak country but suddenly discovers huge reserves of oil, you wouldn't mind lets say the Russians launching a massive illegal invasion and killing hundreds of thousands of people under the pretext that they need oil to run their economy.

Wasn't aware we had invaded Libya.

Where was the oil in Serbia and Kosovo anyway?
Reply 87

We did not invade Serbia
Original post by Aj12
We did not invade Serbia

we bombed it worse than Libya.
Reply 89
we bombed it worse than Libya.

Yes but if you were going to attack a country for resources you need to do more than bomb it.
Original post by Aj12
Yes but if you were going to attack a country for resources you need to do more than bomb it.

Not according to Inzamam99.

There wasn't. Any the relevance of this to Iraq and Libya is...
There wasn't. Any the relevance of this to Iraq and Libya is...

Why can Serbia be deemed a humanitarian conflict, yet Libya cannot?
Reply 93

If there was a one-sided slaughtering of people going on I'd welcome any attempt to stop it. Not that the anybody would, though.
Reply 94
Can I just put my point across please, I think US doesnt give one crap about killing innocent people for oil, if they could they would invade the whole of middle east for it, they dont because they are scared of other supoerpowers such as China and Russia, as those two countries are strictly against killing innocent people in foreign countries. If China or Russia wasnt there I reckon middle east would have allready been invaded. My opinion.
Reply 95
Original post by Swimmer
Can I just put my point across please, I think US doesnt give one crap about killing innocent people for oil, if they could they would invade the whole of middle east for it, they dont because they are scared of other supoerpowers such as China and Russia, as those two countries are strictly against killing innocent people in foreign countries. If China or Russia wasnt there I reckon middle east would have allready been invaded. My opinion.

If China or Russia had the power to invade these places I think they would. I also think China and Russia hate the idea of outside interference as one day a coalition may come a knocking for them and that they don't like Western backed regimes. Both Russia and China are happy to use hard power when it suits them, but in many cases they are unable so use soft power.
Reply 96
Original post by Swimmer

Russia especially? Is this some sort of joke?
Reply 97
Original post by Organ
Russia especially? Is this some sort of joke?

They didint back UN sanction on Libya as they feared civilians will be killed, they also dissagreed on Syria too no?
Reply 98
Original post by Swimmer
They didint back UN sanction on Libya as they feared civilians will be killed, they also dissagreed on Syria too no?

*cough*Georgia*cough*

We can only speculate as to why they didn't want action in Libya and Syria - one thing's for certain though: the reason they gave the public was not the actual reason.
Reply 99
Original post by Drewski
*cough*Georgia*cough*

We can only speculate as to why they didn't want action in Libya and Syria - one thing's for certain though: the reason they gave the public was not the actual reason.

You really have no idea what happened in Georgia do you? Georgia attacked South Osetia (belongs to russia) first most citizens there are Russians, so Russia intervened to protect their own citizens!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending