The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skwee
Portugal. Bit further South! :P (That, and I don't think my brain would be able to cope with a Paediatrics exam the monday after...the gig awesomeness would be too much!) They should've waited for August when I'll be in the UK, but noooo. >.>

Doesn't the tour come through Portugal? :frown:
Reply 4481
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Doesn't the tour come through Portugal? :frown:

Nope...closest it gets to is Spain. Silly really, they'd get TONS of people here as all high school/college/uni students have finished exams by now (...except for medical students for some reason! *growls*).

I know someone who went to Helsinki's recently and he's still recovering from it...
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Gojira, mother licker. Tis going to be sick.

I shall be there! Stupidly excited now.
Original post by lekky
Jealous much!

Surprised there's a few on here into the idea of Sonisphere - can only think of 1 or 2 guys in my year who'd be up for it.
Reply 4484
Original post by Mushi_master
Surprised there's a few on here into the idea of Sonisphere - can only think of 1 or 2 guys in my year who'd be up for it.

How come? Though to be fair now I think about it I can think of maybe 2-3 people out of 380-something who'd come with. And maybe 2 in the year above. How terrible!!
Original post by Skwee
How come? Though to be fair now I think about it I can think of maybe 2-3 people out of 380-something who'd come with. And maybe 2 in the year above. How terrible!!

Very few into anything remotely metal around, so that's a total of 2-3 out of 400 for me too - not so great when you want to find people to go to gigs with. But I'll be off to the festival with a load of folks from back home, think there's ~30 of us camping together.
Reply 4486
Very few into anything remotely metal around, so that's a total of 2-3 out of 400 for me too - not so great when you want to find people to go to gigs with. But I'll be off to the festival with a load of folks from back home, think there's ~30 of us camping together.

Lucky you!

Yeah last time I went to anything remotely metal I couldn't convince anyone in my year, out of the people I talk to (only guy who'd come was abroad) so ended up going with my sister, a bloke from the year above ours and a nurse. :P
Original post by Skwee
Lucky you!

Yeah last time I went to anything remotely metal I couldn't convince anyone in my year, out of the people I talk to (only guy who'd come was abroad) so ended up going with my sister, a bloke from the year above ours and a nurse. :P

Nightmare isn't it! Feel so very out of touch with the music scene.
Reply 4488
Nightmare isn't it! Feel so very out of touch with the music scene.

Yeahh. :frown: I remember for three consecutive years my "most wanted gig of the year" was like, the evening before a major exam...argh! Finally managed last year, somehowww. :P

Luckily all the usually-good July festivals over here have poop line-ups this year (seriously, My Chemical Romance?! Paramore?! Yuck...more like emofest!!!) so I won't feel too bad. :')
Passed my end of year OSCE :biggrin: And I think I've also passed the written paper, although our results system is being weird.

So close to being a second year :woo:
Reply 4490
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Passed my end of year OSCE :biggrin: And I think I've also passed the written paper, although our results system is being weird.

Oooh results! :biggrin: Well done x
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

What was your end of year OSCE on?
and what other OSCEs have you had this year?

Results so close yet so far haha, i find out officially on the 13th :smile:
Original post by carcinoma

Original post by carcinoma
What was your end of year OSCE on?
and what other OSCEs have you had this year?

End of Year OSCE:
Basic Life Support
Examination of Hands (Rheumatoid)
Consultation skills: Patient Perspective; Recent Bereavement
Examination of a Lump
Prescribing skills and pharmacology (Being quizzed about different drugs and the drug chart and stuff)
Consultation skills: Information Gathering: Aches and pains
Procedural and Prescribing skills: IM Injection
Examination of Blood Pressure and Prescribing
Examination of Temperature, Pulse and Respiratory Rate
Data Interpretation and Clinical Reasoning (Looking at blood tests/obs charts/x-rays and the like)
Examination of lower limb joint (Knee)
Surgical Scrubbing
Examination of spine (Cervical)

Module 2 OSCE:
Consultation skills; Information gathering; Trauma to wrist
Examination of shoulder
Consultation skills; Information gathering; Chronic joint pain
Prescribing Skills and Pharmacology (prescribing paracetamol prn for patient and quizzed about the other meds they were on)
Examination of the Hip
Logbooks

Module One (Formative) OSCE:
Examination of Blood Pressure
Examination of Temperature, Pulse and Respiratory Rate
Logbooks
Urinalysis and Handwashing
Consultation Skills; Eliciting Ideas, Concerns and Expectations
Basic Life Support
Progress test done!

I'm ****ing off to Rome now. I'll be back late on Saturday even though results are out on Friday... :colone:
Reply 4494
Mhmm Surgery/Orthopaedics/Urology results today, CHYEAHHHHHH!!!! *jigs* I can now study for next week's exams without worrying all the time, woop woop. (And somehow the exam I was the most worried about, was my best result...typical...)
Reply 4495
How have people done their A&E clinical attachments...?

Because currently have students in A&E makes my day much worse & I usually love teaching. :bawling: There isn't really a plan for them - they seem to just be told to attach themselves to someone (usually an FY2) but then they don't really shadow they want to see patients... which is fine.

But then I have to juggle more patients with my patients - it builds in delays while I'm multitasking & I'm not sure their clerking saves anytime as the quality isn't great (i.e. missing fairly obvious Qs, not pushing for a repeat prescription list & doing a proper drug history or even doing any attempt at examination because for some reason things are difficult so they can't do it... I'm obviously trying to train them up on these things!).
& then I get even later trying to through in teaching points too.
& then if I've redone the clerking sometimes need to run it by a middlegrade/consultant anyway.
& then they ask if they can go for lunch because it's lunchtime when i haven't PUd all day & feel like I'm about to have a hypo! :tongue:
Not that I remember that much of A&E but I think we presented to SpRs and Consultants only to speed things along?

Getting people to do practical procedures is easy - if there's something to be done then I'll happily find (& supervise :wink: ) a student to do it if they've done it on a mannekin (sometimes they haven't?! Weird), can talk me through it & patient is happy... it's the seeing patients part that stresses me out & I want to be welcomming & helpful but it's making me a grump.

What have people found helpful as a way to learn in A&E?
Reply 4496
A medic friend of mine at Imperial has died recently. He was fulfilling a big life goal of his and cycling across America when he was hit by a drunk driver on only his second day. He was an experienced rider and had already cycled across much of Europe, including some of the Eastern European mountain ranges. I hope his family and friends are as well as they can be.
Original post by Skwee
Yeahh. :frown: I remember for three consecutive years my "most wanted gig of the year" was like, the evening before a major exam...argh! Finally managed last year, somehowww. :P

Luckily all the usually-good July festivals over here have poop line-ups this year (seriously, My Chemical Romance?! Paramore?! Yuck...more like emofest!!!) so I won't feel too bad. :')

Ah they sound like you're missing absolutely nothing anyway! Haven't seen a live band since last June (but the were Mastodon, and indeed completely awesome).
Original post by SMed
A medic friend of mine at Imperial has died recently. He was fulfilling a big life goal of his and cycling across America when he was hit by a drunk driver on only his second day. He was an experienced rider and had already cycled across much of Europe, including some of the Eastern European mountain ranges. I hope his family and friends are as well as they can be.

That's awful man, very sad news indeed. Thoughts with his family and friends.
Bit specific but can anyone help? Am going through the torture that is applying for student finance. They originally told me I'd get nothing, when I queried this everyone has said I should get max maintainence loan, today they are saying because it's medicine on a 5 year course and I'm a graduate I get a reduced maintainence loan. I didn't get it last year, I got the full loan. When I pointed this out she said would I like them to reassess so I can pay back any overpayment? Not bloody likely. They reassesed last year's accounts no less than 5 times, and never once said that. Any one else in a similar situation and been given a reduced loan? Household income is £13,000, so way, way below the threshold. HELP!!! Oh, and passed first year :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending