The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Skwee
Alternative music as in...metal? Celtic? Folk music? :P

Any type. Long black coats don't really signify any specific type of alternative music, could be anything from metal to goth, which covers a wide range of music, really.
Reply 201
I'm Jedi and I'm a humble servant of the Force.
Reply 202
Original post by Hylean
Any type. Long black coats don't really signify any specific type of alternative music, could be anything from metal to goth, which covers a wide range of music, really.

...my vote is still on folk music and folk dancing with long black leather coats. Ohyeahhhh. :biggrin:

(Wooo some exam results out! *does little tribal victory dance around teh topic*)
Original post by Teao the Cat
On the subject of covens, I had the chance to join a Pagan society at uni, and had every intention of doing so, until I got there and suddenly got scared that they'd think I 'Wasn't a real pagan' because I didn't believe this or the other that someone else did. Silly, now I think about it, but hey...

Aso, they all seemed to have a uniform of long black leather coats. I can;t say I fancied the fashion statement! :p:

Which uni was this? None of the ones I've looked at had any Pagan societies :biggrin:
Original post by Pandora.

Which uni was this? None of the ones I've looked at had any Pagan societies :biggrin:

Lancaster. Pagan societies do seem to be few and far between. I have since met a few members of said society, and they were very nice people. Quite a few of the coat wearers were also members of the rock society, come to think of it... :p:
Reply 205
Original post by Skwee
...my vote is still on folk music and folk dancing with long black leather coats. Ohyeahhhh. :biggrin:

I have a long black coat, long hair and a beard and I listen to folk music and folk dance. :p:

UCL had one when I was there. I assume they still have one.
Lancaster. Pagan societies do seem to be few and far between. I have since met a few members of said society, and they were very nice people. Quite a few of the coat wearers were also members of the rock society, come to think of it... :p:

I'm more than likely going to be joining the lancaster pagan soc next year. One of my friends (who is actually on the exec now) convinced me that it was probably a good idea.

Should be fun, though I'm not much of a believer (in anything) myself.

Original post by Hylean
I have a long black coat, long hair and a beard and I listen to folk music and folk dance. :p:

UCL had one when I was there. I assume they still have one.

Ah, thanks both of you :smile:
Reply 208
Original post by Hylean

Well you're teh awesome! *bows* :biggrin:
This thread is so empty that this post will probably echo :biggrin:
Heh, yes, I was thinking about making something like that post, but figured I didn't have anythign new and interesting to say! :p:
Reply 211
Nyah, this often happens.
Original post by BombshellBabe
after hearing what Catholics had to say about .....abortion....

but I still admired the beauty of nature. It had a profound effect on me and I realised that this was where my beliefs were centred. Nature did not reject or judge, and it was beautiful and all-loving. And what's more, nature doesn't exactly care about sex before marriage or even homosexuality, because it is all natural :L So my curent beliefs centre around nature, its cycles, its balance, its purity, its power and its love :smile:

Original post by joanna-eve
I mean, we were supposed to .......... believe that women who aborted babies that were products of rape were somehow in the wrong!

So you (and some pagans) love nature, honour the 'sacred' in the natural world but are okay with killing babies in the womb? How very........inconsistent.

Don't bother coming back with the old canard of 'nature red in tooth and claw', or the natural cycle of life and death; taking a scalpel to a live infant in its mother's womb is not 'natural' or part of any cycle other than murder. Having worked in the abortion industry and had other personal experience I know what abortion is about. The truth has to be told, I'm sorry.
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
So you (and some pagans) love nature, honour the 'sacred' in the natural world but are okay with killing babies in the womb? How very........inconsistent.

Don't bother coming back with the old canard of 'nature red in tooth and claw', or the natural cycle of life and death; taking a scalpel to a live infant in its mother's womb is not 'natural' or part of any cycle other than murder. Having worked in the abortion industry and had other personal experience I know what abortion is about. The truth has to be told, I'm sorry.

I actually can't be bothered to reply to this...
That's okay. I don't want to debate, just want to get some people thinking about what they believe and why........Anyway, might liven the thread up - even if it is OT....
That's okay. I don't want to debate, just want to get some people thinking about what they believe and why........Anyway, might liven the thread up - even if it is OT....

Fair enough. Give me a minute and I'll give you my view.

EDIT:
I don't tend to stick to the rules when it comes to religion, so I'm probably the worst possible person to answer this.
My main argument for abortion is, basically, it should be the woman's choice. I don't agree with planning a pregnancy and then chickening out, or using it as a method of abortion. However, I agree with it being used when a responsible couple make a mistake or when the woman has been raped. I'm trying my best to the of reasons to back these points up, but it's just what comes naturally to me so I can't really over analyse my views. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Any advice on how to worship and harness the power of THOR the nordic pagan god of war?
Original post by notastudent
Any advice on how to worship and harness the power of THOR the nordic pagan god of war?

Harness the power? Um... maybe this might help?
http://beltaine.blogspot.com/2006/07/evoking-spirit.html
Reply 218

I'm not a pagan but I would say that abortion will always happen weather it is legal or not. However, if it is illegal, this will only put the mother's life in danger as well through backstreet abortions for those women who could not afford to have the operation done abroad. If you really hate abortion, don't have one but please don't go trying to change the unchangeable and creating more suffering and inequality in the process.
Reply 219

How is it inconsistent? Abortion has been part of nature since time immemorable. We have herbs out there which cause the body to miscarry. Loving nature doesn't mean that the person has to love want children and abortion doesn't have to be unnatural.

Nature is far more dedicated to death than humans will ever be, and often kills off that which is unwanted, unneeded or dangerous to itself. Abortions fall under those three criteria at some point or another.

Trying to make people think about their beliefs is one thing, but what you're doing here is just being an ass and thinking you're clever when you haven't thought about the subject deeply enough. Like the post I quote below, please come back later when you've thought about it more.

Original post by notastudent

Come back when you realise that Þórr wasn't the god of war, maybe then I'll take you seriously.

Harness the power? Um... maybe this might help?
http://beltaine.blogspot.com/2006/07/evoking-spirit.html

Don't even bother. He's winding you up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending