The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

someone mentioned tampax tampons earlier...they are the only ones i have used because they are applicator, but it *did* expand lengthways and actually started to come out, but it was still firmly stuck in higher up so sitting down was extrememly painful. by the time i was able to take it out without dying of pain it was longer than my index finger. are there anyother applicator tampons which dont have this problem?? and they must be applicator, the others gross me out. and it is related to this thread, as i wish to move on to mooncups.
TMI i know, but if you cant ask here, then where else?!
Original post by Anonymous

and they must be applicator, the others gross me out. and it is related to this thread, as i wish to move on to mooncups.
TMI i know, but if you cant ask here, then where else?!

Must say, i don't know the answer to your question, but if inserting a tampon is gross to you, do you think you'll be able to cope with a mooncup? They're brilliant, and I'd never go back to pads or tampons, but they're not for the squeamish.
My mooncup arrived today :biggrin: just in time for my period tomorrow. Can't wait to try it! :lol:

Edit: Negged? For being enthusiastic about a mooncup in the great mooncup thread? Some jealous person can't use theirs properly, then. :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello...

Got my first moon cup today :smile:

Had absolutely no problem inserting it and had no issue with leaking etc but removing it was a nightmare! :frown:

It just would not come out and I couldn't get a finger inside to fish it out and pulling on it hurt so much! I'm determined to stick to it until I get the hang of it but I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on removing it easily?? I honestly found it so hard to break the "seal". In the end I just had to give it a hard yank (which was not pleasant :frown: ) to get it out. I squeezed the end of the cup like the leaflet says but nothing really happened. Any pulling on the stalk hurt me so badly!

I had no problem fitting it in because it was all folded up, its just the size of it when it's opened up inside me that is the problem.

I'm not a virgin and I have used tampons for years with no problems like this. Not sure if I am doing something wrong... :frown:

Any advice...? I am using the smaller size btw.

Thanks in advance :smile: x
You should be able to slide a finger up beside the cup and push in the break the seal... It may be a problem of being relaxed when you do it, and not being able to get it out first try may have worsened things. try squatting and then sort of bearing down as you try to take it out- may help!

Good luck- i'm sure you'll love it as soon as you get that issue sorted!
Hello...

Got my first moon cup today :smile:

Had absolutely no problem inserting it and had no issue with leaking etc but removing it was a nightmare! :frown:

It just would not come out and I couldn't get a finger inside to fish it out and pulling on it hurt so much! I'm determined to stick to it until I get the hang of it but I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on removing it easily?? I honestly found it so hard to break the "seal". In the end I just had to give it a hard yank (which was not pleasant :frown: ) to get it out. I squeezed the end of the cup like the leaflet says but nothing really happened. Any pulling on the stalk hurt me so badly!

I had no problem fitting it in because it was all folded up, its just the size of it when it's opened up inside me that is the problem.

I'm not a virgin and I have used tampons for years with no problems like this. Not sure if I am doing something wrong... :frown:

Any advice...? I am using the smaller size btw.

Thanks in advance :smile: x

I recommend squatting and then trying to insert a finger to squeeze the top of the cup and ease it out xx
Original post by Teao the Cat
You should be able to slide a finger up beside the cup and push in the break the seal... It may be a problem of being relaxed when you do it, and not being able to get it out first try may have worsened things. try squatting and then sort of bearing down as you try to take it out- may help!

Good luck- i'm sure you'll love it as soon as you get that issue sorted!

Original post by blinkbelle
I recommend squatting and then trying to insert a finger to squeeze the top of the cup and ease it out xx

Thank you for the quick replies!

I tried squatting today and inserting a finger to break the seal but I still had a lot of difficulty reaching it. I just feel I'm the wrong shape 'in there' for a moon cup. :s-smilie:

In the diagrams they sit very low but mine won't stay that low... once it opens up it just works its way further in.
I haven't even trimmed the stem and I need to do the 5-8 little pushes before I can grab the stem again.
It feels like I'm a a bit too small where it is meant to sit so it goes higher up where there is more room which makes it a hassle reaching it to get it out!
Has anyone else had this problem...?

I'm going to keep practicing though :smile: Determined not to quit after paying £20 for it! lol x

I tried squatting today and inserting a finger to break the seal but I still had a lot of difficulty reaching it. I just feel I'm the wrong shape 'in there' for a moon cup. :s-smilie:

In the diagrams they sit very low but mine won't stay that low... once it opens up it just works its way further in.
I haven't even trimmed the stem and I need to do the 5-8 little pushes before I can grab the stem again.
It feels like I'm a a bit too small where it is meant to sit so it goes higher up where there is more room which makes it a hassle reaching it to get it out!

I'm going to keep practicing though :smile: Determined not to quit after paying £20 for it! lol x

I squeeze the base continually as I'm pulling it out, have you tried that? Make sure you do it over the loo though, as you're squeezing it all the blood is going to come out :lol:
Hi guys,

Help needed please! I bought my mooncup in April, and I've used it for four periods since then and the bloody thing keeps leaking. I've read most of this thread and followed all your really helpful advice, I've made sure the little holes on the edge of the mooncup aren't blocked, I've followed all the instructions in booklet about not pushing it in too high like you would do a tampon, using your PVC muscles etc... I've tried everything and it still hasn't worked, I've gone back to using tampons temporarily because I'm tired of the mooncup leaking. Any advice would be muchly appreciated, help! :frown:
How long are you leaving it between emptying it? Also, how active are you? Mine used to leak more if I was active and if I left it a bit too long (on my heavier days I needed to change it ~6 hours)
Reply 790
I would never go back to tampons - the thought of the cotton wool consistency makes me feel ill (I haaaate cotton wool)..

I love it but I can never wear it on it's own at night because it always always leaks when I lie down. Other than that it's great - it's made me dread periods a bit less :woo: :smile:
Original post by Sephrenia
How long are you leaving it between emptying it? Also, how active are you? Mine used to leak more if I was active and if I left it a bit too long (on my heavier days I needed to change it ~6 hours)

I've never left it in for more than 6 hours, I'd usually empty it every time I went to the toilet tbh ... this month I've been fairly active every day (summer camp job), but the last few months less active. I don't really know what it could be :s-smilie:
The seal is fully made when you put it in right? if you give it a little tug it shouldn't really move at all.

I trimmed the stem off mine, and at first I found getting it out challenging. I actually prefer mine to sit higher up, behind the pubic bone, and that is perfectly ok. I had to learn to get it out. I found I can only remove it if I sit on the loo, bear down and stick my thumb and a finger inside to grab and squeeze the base of the cup. Then I pull it out. I usually break the seal by squeezing. I do have to reach right inside as far as I can though - but I'm comfortable with that. Now I know I can always get it out, with a combination of bearing down hard and reaching up a long way! :biggrin:

I trimmed the stem off mine, and at first I found getting it out challenging. I actually prefer mine to sit higher up, behind the pubic bone, and that is perfectly ok. I had to learn to get it out. I found I can only remove it if I sit on the loo, bear down and stick my thumb and a finger inside to grab and squeeze the base of the cup. Then I pull it out. I usually break the seal by squeezing. I do have to reach right inside as far as I can though - but I'm comfortable with that. Now I know I can always get it out, with a combination of bearing down hard and reaching up a long way! :biggrin:

Pleased to know I'm not the only one like this! I find it really uncomfortable when it's low down, but higher up, I can't feel it at all...
I love my mooncup <3
I have bought several as presents for others too!

Also my housemate is totally not into any alternative health stuff, but I raved about my mooncup so much and how sick I had been of tampons drying me out like the sahara desert that she got one too that she loves!

Mooncups should be on the NHS!!!
Original post by thelittleredfox
How heavy is your period? I have to empty about every 1-2 hours on my heaviest days.

Aside from that, can you feel that the cup is fully expanded? No dents in the side of it? You need to make sure it has popped up correctly.

Not every cup suits everyone. I started out with a mooncup, but found them a bit uncomfy and always got leaks. The Divacup suits me, because it doesn't have such a pronounced rim and has holes very high up on the rim, making leaking less likely if your period is heavy.

I've often found if mine is leaking it is sitting too low. Also try moving it around a bit once you've inserted it until it feels snug, do a couple of pelvic floor excersizes after you've stood up, and just let it lay where it wants to.
Original post by La Songeuse
I've never left it in for more than 6 hours, I'd usually empty it every time I went to the toilet tbh ... this month I've been fairly active every day (summer camp job), but the last few months less active. I don't really know what it could be :s-smilie:

I found that when I emptied it too often (i.e. more often than every 6 hours, for example) then it would leak :s-smilie: might be that xx
I just bought a mooncup (my SU sell them for a tenner - there was really no excuse!). I just tried it out and it was a little painful at first to put it in, but I sorted it. When I took it out, there was some blood in it. Now, I think I'm due my period and I think I've being having pre-period cramps so hopefully it was just that. I know I'm probably being a bit of a twit, but there's no chance I removed it badly and damaged myself is there? The size of the thing still scares me to be honest!
Original post by Aemiliana

Original post by Aemiliana
I just bought a mooncup (my SU sell them for a tenner - there was really no excuse!). I just tried it out and it was a little painful at first to put it in, but I sorted it. When I took it out, there was some blood in it. Now, I think I'm due my period and I think I've being having pre-period cramps so hopefully it was just that. I know I'm probably being a bit of a twit, but there's no chance I removed it badly and damaged myself is there? The size of the thing still scares me to be honest!

It'll be your period, don't worry. There aren't any bits on the cup sharp enough to cut yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest