The Student Room Group

Is it inevitable that Britain or the US will get attacked in the near future?

Scroll to see replies

They may have soldiers, but in this day and age only one word matters in war.

Tech.
Why would you think something like that mate.
Original post by Aj12
I can't see Russia nuking America over Iran. MAD still applies. And the Russia military is not in any postion to fight a conventional war against the US.

Tbh if I was going to give my prediction for war in the future I would predict a Middle Eatern proxy war. Iran and Syria vs Saudi Arabia Bahrain and the UAE with Israel staying out of it as much as possible. Of course the Arab spring will have major effects on the region so its likely this idea may well be redundant in a matter of months

Russia would not nuke America. Russia would send in an Air Force to combat the American AF in the air. It would purely be done to let America know Russia was serious about what they said.

However, after the warnings I highly doubt America or any other country will bother Iran in terms of the military or an invasion anyway. It would be in America's best interests to just target countries that pose no serious threat.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
You do not understand, allies in military are based on resources and economic relations, nothing else. China and Russia both have interests in Iran that an invasion could harm, that would anger them and they would want to defend their interests and rightfully so.

Russia is obviously not going to nuke America for not listening to them, that would be a last resort tactic if a major war broke out, however, Russia could send an air force in to combat America when America was in the process of launching an air invasion. They could easily catch them off guard, its happened in the past and will happen in the future. Russia and China won't defend Iran for Iran's sake, they'll defend Iran for their own sake and to protect their own interests.

That's what I'm trying to point out, their interest in Iran is simply not big enough to put themselves at odds with the US, Russia and China have never engaged the US in direct combat and I doubt they'd be stupid enough to start now especially over Iran, Iran may have the world's 3rd largest oil reserves, but if Iran were to stop oil production America would convince the Saudis to step up theirs and there would be but a minor fluctuation in the market.
Original post by elenii
What's actually fascinating about this thread is that most conflicting opinions have to do with who would side with who, and which country has the strongest military potential. It's a shame how the thread title doesn't reflect this at all.

I agree but that is how the thread has panned out and it is an interesting debate, childish insults aside.
Reply 245
Russia would not nuke America. Russia would send in an Air Force to combat the American AF in the air. It would purely be done to let America know Russia was serious about what they said.

However, after the warnings I highly doubt America or any other country will bother Iran in terms of the military or an invasion anyway. It would be in America's best interests to just target countries that pose no serious threat.

Lol. I don't think the Russians would stand much of a chance against a squad of raptors. I don't think the Russkies even have a fifth gen fighter though I could be wrong. Tbh if they wanted to send a warning they just need to station troops on high alert and mobiles forces to their border.

I think they will borther if Iran goes nuclear. Such an event will trigger a huge arms race both conventional and nuclear in the ME.Its in everyone interest to keep the area nuclear free.
Original post by I Persia I
That's what I'm trying to point out, their interest in Iran is simply not big enough to put themselves at odds with the US, Russia and China have never engaged the US in direct combat and I doubt they'd be stupid enough to start now especially over Iran, Iran may have the world's 3rd largest oil reserves, but if Iran were to stop oil production America would convince the Saudis to step up theirs and there would be but a minor fluctuation in the market.

Russia and China have massive interest in Iran, or in their eyes they do, hence why they've warned countries to forget about invading Iran. Obviously they're trying to protect their assets. They won't engage in direct combat with the US over Iran, they will engage with the US in direct combat for affecting their interests which inevitably affects their economy.
No countries would side with Iran in any war, Iran has no major allies (military wise).

What's Russia gonna do? Nuke America for not listening to them?

Russia and China would side with Iran if the US invaded, not because they are close allies, but because it gives them advantages in some way. They won't nuke the US if it goes against them but they would still probably send traditional military units.

This book is supposedly shows how some high ranking Russians see things on a international level http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundations_of_Geopolitics
Reply 248
Original post by Aj12
Lol. I don't think the Russians would stand much of a chance against a squad of raptors. I don't think the Russkies even have a fifth gen fighter though I could be wrong. Tbh if they wanted to send a warning they just need to station troops on high alert and mobiles forces to their border.

I think they will borther if Iran goes nuclear. Such an event will trigger a huge arms race both conventional and nuclear in the ME.Its in everyone interest to keep the area nuclear free.

They do have a 5th gen fighter, but here what you have to remmember, the same war will cost Russia less than US, and tbh I dont think US will be able to afford flying alot of raptors.
Original post by Aj12

The thing is, no one knows exactly what each AF has to launch an attack. Also, Russia would wait until America's aircraft were in the air and ready to launch an invasion and then ambush them with their own air attacks. Everyone knows the best way to win a war is using surprise tactics. They'd probably wait until America launched its first air raid and as the aircraft were getting ready to turn around they'd attack. We all know sly tactics are used in war, its always been the case.

Yes I agree. However, Russia and China both have massive interests in Iran. They wont do it for Irans sake, but their own. Just as America would defend Mexico if Mexico had a lot of America's resources. Fortunately enough for America it has a lot of its own resources.
Russia and China have massive interest in Iran, or in their eyes they do, hence why they've warned countries to forget about invading Iran. Obviously they're trying to protect their assets. They won't engage in direct combat with the US over Iran, they will engage with the US in direct combat for affecting their interests which inevitably affects their economy.

They've warned America not to invade because they feel the Yanks are simply throwing their weight around in a sensitive region which both are close to, which is why they have befriended the Iranian regime as to push back american influence in the Persian Gulf region and the wider Middle East which is full of American political allies i.e most of the Arab countries, with the exception of Syria and Lebanon, and also Israel and Afghanistan to name a few.
Original post by Abbadon27
Russia and China would side with Iran if the US invaded, not because they are close allies, but because it gives them advantages in some way. They won't nuke the US if it goes against them but they would still probably send traditional military units.

This book is supposedly shows how some high ranking Russians see things on a international level http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Spot on.

+rep.

The funny thing is, China and Russia both deem each other a threat which is why they want to help each other. Its basically a stalemate agreement by both countries to team up and not focus on attacking the other.
Reply 252
You do not understand, allies in military are based on resources and economic relations, nothing else. China and Russia both have interests in Iran that an invasion could harm, that would anger them and they would want to defend their interests and rightfully so.

Russia is obviously not going to nuke America for not listening to them, that would be a last resort tactic if a major war broke out, however, Russia could send an air force in to combat America when America was in the process of launching an air invasion. They could easily catch them off guard, its happened in the past and will happen in the future. Russia and China won't defend Iran for Iran's sake, they'll defend Iran for their own sake and to protect their own interests.

Sending planes in would just be starting a war though, and I think it's debatable whether Russia would be willing to go to war with America over Iran. Obviously they're willing to issue a severe warning, but would they go to war? Of course, the exact same thing applies in the other direction, and America is very unlikely to be willing to go to war with Russia over Iran.

You also seem to think it would be really easy for countries to secretly mobilise their forces, and say that everyone here is underestimating how sneaky they can be. It's possible, but I think it's more likely you're underestimating how good surveillance is on both sides...
Reply 253
The thing is, no one knows exactly what each AF has to launch an attack. Also, Russia would wait until America's aircraft were in the air and ready to launch an invasion and then ambush them with their own air attacks. Everyone knows the best way to win a war is using surprise tactics. They'd probably wait until America launched its first air raid and as the aircraft were getting ready to turn around they'd attack. We all know sly tactics are used in war, its always been the case.

Yes I agree. However, Russia and China both have massive interests in Iran. They wont do it for Irans sake, but their own. Just as America would defend Mexico if Mexico had a lot of America's resources. Fortunately enough for America it has a lot of its own resources.

Its hard to surprise the Americans. Espcially with an air attack as you cannot hide from Radar unless they have an amazing stealth aircrat and even then other things give it away.

Maybe, could see them funnelling weapons and cash into the country
Reply 254
They've warned America not to invade because they feel the Yanks are simply throwing their weight around in a sensitive region which both are close to, which is why they have befriended the Iranian regime as to push back american influence in the Persian Gulf region and the wider Middle East which is full of American political allies i.e most of the Arab countries, with the exception of Syria and Lebanon, and also Israel and Afghanistan to name a few.

They warned them bacause Iran is close to Russian border and ofc as explained by Dizze.
Reply 255
Original post by Swimmer
They do have a 5th gen fighter, but here what you have to remmember, the same war will cost Russia less than US, and tbh I dont think US will be able to afford flying alot of raptors.

A war with Russia would be all or nothing. provided America could borrow the cash they needed I think they would.
Original post by Swimmer
They warned them bacause Iran is close to Russian border and ofc as explained by Dizze.

That's what I said....

Original post by hamzazulfiqar
I doubt countries as big as China, Russia and the US would go to war without using warheads.

you are right, they would use their nukes because that wouldn't cause MAD......

******* genius....

go back to the stone from which you came and stop putting your stupidity on this thread for everyone to see....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abbadon27

It's all post cold-war banter, the Russians hate the fact that the US is throwing it's weight around on their turf, it's playground politics, but they're not willing to go to war over it, even air combat will be seen as a declaration of war on the US and I doubt Russia is stupid enough to go to war over it...
Original post by ale_jrb
Sending planes in would just be starting a war though, and I think it's debatable whether Russia would be willing to go to war with America over Iran. Obviously they're willing to issue a severe warning, but would they go to war? Of course, the exact same thing applies in the other direction, and America is very unlikely to be willing to go to war with Russia over Iran.

How many times must it be said? Russia will not go to war over Iran. Russia will go to war because of their interests in Iran that are worth a lot to them and their economy. Obviously, Russia is not going take too kindly to an invasion that poses a serious threat to their interests in Iran, just as no other country would.

You also seem to think it would be really easy for countries to secretly mobilise their forces, and say that everyone here is underestimating how sneaky they can be. It's possible, but I think it's more likely you're underestimating how good surveillance is on both sides...

Its 2011, there is enough tech around now to slip radars easily and avoid showing up, regardless of the sophisticated technology used on the other end. Plus, the Russians wouldn't need to hide. Any aircraft showing on US radar could be regarded as US aircraft itself. It would be impossible to tell that the aircraft showing up was Russian. It may pick up aircraft but it won't sense the nationality of the person in the cockpit.

If I was in a US aircraft launching an attack on Iran and I saw 3 planes behind me on my radar I would just assume it was other US aircraft ready to launch attacks as well. The only way you'd find out is when the first few planes got hit and you were told over radio to retreat as you were under attack. What happens from their on in completely depends on what the military decide to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending