The Student Room Group

Is it inevitable that Britain or the US will get attacked in the near future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Organ
This thread has just entered insanity. Is AreYouDizzeBlud writing a novel or something.

Russia, China and the USA are not going to war!

They might via proxies like in the Cold War - ergo Vietnam and so on - but that is it.

Nobody wants to destroy their own economies over fairly pointless all out war. I do agree the situation in Iran is concerning - hopefully it will resolve itself from within - i.e. a second Persian revolution, Iran will be the flashpoint. Israel may be the catalyst, let's hope the USA can keep them on a leash. The USA can only do so much, contry to what some may say - it is a democracy, and Americans will not allow tens of thousands of American deaths over a pointless war. It would be political suicide.

No one said they'd go to war. I don't know what thread you are reading. However, there is a chance in the grand scheme of things if the UK and US continue to meddle into International Affairs.
Original post by hamzazulfiqar
Hey your the one calling me stupied when in actual fact no one understood what you wrote ?.

" go back to the stone from which you came " have you ever been to grammer school or were you home schooled by your abusive father ?!

see the bold bit....this makes your entire point defunct.

and no, I have never attended grammar school....

and I'm pretty sure everyone understood what I wrote when in response to your post which said the superpowers would use their nukes....

I responded with "they would because that clearly wouldn't cause MAD"......it is very clear what I mean, both its meaning and its sarcasm....

and why would my father be abusive?
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
The thing is, Russia are not scared of America though, thats the point im trying to make. Russia obviously won't want to go to war, no country really does, but if its in their interests and the US military seriously cross the line they will attack. However, its unlikely the attack will be on America mainland.

Thats what the whole thread is about. With Britain and America continuously getting involved in International Affairs, its likely Russia and other countries like China will say enough is enough and get involved because the more the US and the UK take over and own, the bigger the threat they become to countries like Russia and China.

I agree with you on that, but the Russians acknowledge the fact that America won't take an attack on their air force as "a message" or a "strategic strike" but simply a declaration of war, the Russians will do everything in their power SHORT of war against the US.
Reply 283
The thing is, Russia are not scared of America though, thats the point im trying to make. Russia obviously won't want to go to war, no country really does, but if its in their interests and the US military seriously cross the line they will attack. However, its unlikely the attack will be on America mainland.

Thats what the whole thread is about. With Britain and America continuously getting involved in International Affairs, its likely Russia and other countries like China will say enough is enough and get involved because the more the US and the UK take over and own, the bigger the threat they become to countries like Russia and China.

What do you think Russia will attack?

I don't actually disagree with this point - Russia may attack western proxies like Georgia or Kosovo; beyond this...the Russians simply would not dare. Attacking the USA or a country like the UK, France and so on would simply be suicide. If they attacked somewhere like Alaska then the Americans would go seriously mental, including the public.
Original post by Aj12
US aircraft have a certain code that designates them as military or civilian. Apart from stealth you can't really fool radar other than using something old school like aluminium foil

Most military aircraft are fitted with transponder jammers meaning they won't show up.
Original post by Organ

I don't actually disagree with this point - Russia may attack western proxies like Georgia or Kosovo; beyond this...the Russians simply would not dare. Attacking the USA or a country like the UK, France and so on would simply be suicide. If they attacked somewhere like Alaska then the Americans would go seriously mental, including the public.

Exactly, all it will be is gestures against the West, nothing more, there is a reason Russia isn't a superpower anymore (if you class Russia as the successor state to the USSR).
Reply 286
Most military aircraft are fitted with transponder jammers meaning they won't show up.

A large number of blips in a declared combat zone? The US will shoot first ask questions later.
Reply 287
Original post by I Persia I
Exactly, all it will be is gestures against the West, nothing more, there is a reason Russia isn't a superpower anymore (if you class Russia as the successor state to the USSR).

Russia's future is a question mark. It is going to enter a serious demographic collapse - male life expectancy is very low, they are having no babies and there is very little immigration ~ plus there is wide-spread corruption and creeping facism from the government. It's strength is the fact that it has so much gas, minerals and other resources; but there is no way it is capable of competing with the USA. The Americans main rival is China - but the Sino-American economic system is more important to the Chinese than geo-politics...the Chinese only care about resource gathering; whether it be Iran, Sudan..wherever. It is in both America's and China's interests to maintain a cordial relationship - given that the global economy is based around these two nations.
How many times must it be said? Russia will not go to war over Iran. Russia will go to war because of their interests in Iran that are worth a lot to them and their economy. Obviously, Russia is not going take too kindly to an invasion that poses a serious threat to their interests in Iran, just as no other country would.

Russian trade with Iran is very minimal. In fact, Iranian trade with Russia only about 0.7% of Russian external trade. I am not sure why you think it is significant to the Russian economy.
Original post by Organ

Russia won't launch an initial attack. However, if the US and the UK continuously meddle into International Affairs and attempt to invade a country like Iran then Russia will get involved, its that simple. They will get involved to protect their own interests. Their main interest being is that they profit from a nuclear Iran, exactly what the US and UK, along with other nations, want to put an end to.

Not at all. It all depends on a number of factors ranging from who forms allies with who, who launches the initial attack, the current economic climate and links, whats in it for their country if they side with a particular country and so on. War is not so simple. The thing is, Russia would only attack the UK or US military if we interfered with their interests, which is reasonable. So far, Russia has warned countries to leave Iran alone, Iran has been left alone from a military point of view, Russia is happy. That's the way it'll stay because America or the UK will not want to annoy Russia or want Russia involved.
Original post by Organ
Russia's future is a question mark. It is going to enter a serious demographic collapse - male life expectancy is very low, they are having no babies and there is very little immigration ~ plus there is wide-spread corruption and creeping facism from the government. It's strength is the fact that it has so much gas, minerals and other resources; but there is no way it is capable of competing with the USA. The Americans main rival is China - but the Sino-American economic system is more important to the Chinese than geo-politics...the Chinese only care about resource gathering; whether it be Iran, Sudan..wherever. It is in both America's and China's interests to maintain a cordial relationship - given that the global economy is based around these two nations.

Yeh, I agree. Russia is posting significant growth but their immigration restrictions and their demographic problems means that they will have significant problems.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Russian trade with Iran is very minimal. In fact, Iranian trade with Russia only about 0.7% of Russian external trade. I am not sure why you think it is significant to the Russian economy.

Russia profits from a nuclear Iran, its that simple. A non nuclear Iran, which the UK and the US want means Russia does not profit which will agitate Russia and lead to action. Thats why America, the UK and France won't invade Iran as they don't want other countries to get involved.
Original post by Aj12
A large number of blips in a declared combat zone? The US will shoot first ask questions later.

Whilst I agree thats how the US military take action, if planes are coming from behind its hard to determine who'll get the first strike in. The fact is, no one knows who would win but that still doesn't mean Russia won't retaliate if Iran is invaded. Russia like any other nation will want to protect its interests.
Reply 293
Russia profits from a nuclear Iran, its that simple. A non nuclear Iran, which the UK and the US want means Russia does not profit which will agitate Russia and lead to action. Thats why America, the UK and France won't invade Iran as they don't want other countries to get involved.

How does Russia profit? Recently it has been shifting away and become uncomfortable with a nuclear Iran swanning around the middle east - threatening Saudi, the other Gulf Oil states and Israel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10684110

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/7272754/Russia-very-alarmed-by-Iran-nuclear-report.html

You have to remember the Russians have closer relations with the House of Saud and states like Bahrain - all of these nations are scared about Iran with the A-bomb and as wikileaks demonstrated (and many suspected anyway) requested that the USA attack Iran or 'cut the head off the snake'.

A nuclear Iran would be a terrible thing for the ME - Iran will threaten it's own people, threaten Israel/Saudi/Bahrain/Jordan with the things and the fact they have nuclear weapons would make an invasion very difficult. Iran could also rile up muslims within Russia, like they are doing with Hamas and in Lebanon - which would cause a hige headache for the Russians.
Reply 294
Whilst I agree thats how the US military take action, if planes are coming from behind its hard to determine who'll get the first strike in. The fact is, no one knows who would win but that still doesn't mean Russia won't retaliate if Iran is invaded. Russia like any other nation will want to protect its interests.

Thats why the US has these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-3_Sentry
Reply 295
Your forgetting north korea aswell, that would rape us on sight.
Original post by Organ
How does Russia profit? Recently it has been shifting away and become uncomfortable with a nuclear Iran swanning around the middle east - threatening Saudi, the other Gulf Oil states and Israel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10684110

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/7272754/Russia-very-alarmed-by-Iran-nuclear-report.html

You have to remember the Russians have closer relations with the House of Saud and states like Bahrain - all of these nations are scared about Iran with the A-bomb and as wikileaks demonstrated (and many suspected anyway) requested that the USA attack Iran or 'cut the head off the snake'.

A nuclear Iran would be a terrible thing for the ME - Iran will threaten it's own people, threaten Israel/Saudi/Bahrain/Jordan with the things and the fact they have nuclear weapons would make an invasion very difficult. Iran could also rile up muslims within Russia, like they are doing with Hamas and in Lebanon - which would cause a hige headache for the Russians.

Thats how.

http://www.frumforum.com/how-russia-profits-from-a-nuclear-iran
Original post by I Persia I

You just contradicted yourself by saying American influence ensures a steady supply oil to China and saying Iran produces China with a significant amount, Iran isn't influenced by America if you hadn't noticed.

As I said, China will not go to war over Iran no matter what.

I didn't say that China would go to war over Iran. I was countering your assertion that Chinese influence in Iran is to do with countering American influence in the region.

Obviously, I wasn't talking about American influence with relation to Iran. I was talking about American influence over countries such as Saudi Arabia, which were the same countries that you were referring to.

Again, sentry's can be jammed. Plus most militaries have counter sentry's. The US Army I believe have the most aircraft in terms of stealth.
Reply 299

Going to need more than a blog to prove a point.

The most sensible points came from one of the people who commented..

Jeffry1 You’re right. I didn’t go into the downside of a nuclear Iran for Russia enough.

Russia’s Islamic expoxure is huge. Part of their calculation has been by at not getting in Iran’s way, Iran will not stir things up with Russia’s Muslims as they would be doing if they followed their constituional imperative.

We fear a nuclear Iran becuase it will streghten and embolden Iran to export terrorism. Russia has much more exposure to this than we do, both in proximity and in the size of thei Islamic population.

A nuclear Iran will feel less need of Russia’s protection and become much more of a regional rival with Russia it doesn’t have to come to a nuclear exchange to become a problem for Russia.

Also a heightend nuclear arms race in south Asia would be frightening for Russia. Think of what it would be like in S. American countries started developing nuclear weapons.

Russia’s obstructionism has attempted to balance their short term with their long term geo policitcal interests. My poorly made point,is that the short term is rapidly running its course., Thier long term interests with Iran coincide with ours. Helping them to see this is the basis for Obama’s approach. To throw up our hands and say they will never see this is surely a self fullfilling prophecy.

As to the “self interest” thing if Brad’s was an innocent remark, why include in it the “rock star” remark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending