The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I enjoyed HTTYD more than Toy Story 3.
I refuse to believe that Tangled cost more to make than Avatar, unless someone at Disney is guilty of fraud on a massive scale.
Yeah but the fact she put them up there with Gladiator and Shawshank Redemption was pretty laughable :teehee:
Original post by Phalanges
I refuse to believe that Tangled cost more to make than Avatar, unless someone at Disney is guilty of fraud on a massive scale.

Im pretty sure it was you who explained why it cost so much to me.
Reply 3164
Original post by tropical-twist3
Yeah but the fact she put them up there with Gladiator and Shawshank Redemption was pretty laughable :teehee:

Yeah, it was more because you'd made it sound like HTTYD was worthy of that status, while Tangled wasn't.

Slightly unrelated point, but I'll make it anyway: the Shawshank Redemption seems to make everyone's best films list. Now, it is an excellent film, as there's almost nothing not to like about it, so I don't begrudge it its status as one of the best films of all time. All that it does make me wonder, however, is if this overwhelming consensus is, at least on the part of some people, because it's an easy film to say "yeah, it's one of the best films ever" about. It's the sort of film that people who aren't all that interested in films can claim as one of the best without self-confessed film fanatics (like all of us, hur hur) jumping down their throats; in the same way that Partick Thistle is the discerning Glasgow visitor's team of choice.
Original post by zjs
Yeah, it was more because you'd made it sound like HTTYD was worthy of that status, while Tangled wasn't.

Slightly unrelated point, but I'll make it anyway: the Shawshank Redemption seems to make everyone's best films list. Now, it is an excellent film, as there's almost nothing not to like about it, so I don't begrudge it its status as one of the best films of all time. All that it does make me wonder, however, is if this overwhelming consensus is, at least on the part of some people, because it's an easy film to say "yeah, it's one of the best films ever" about. It's the sort of film that people who aren't all that interested in films can claim as one of the best without self-confessed film fanatics (like all of us, hur hur) jumping down their throats; in the same way that Partick Thistle is the discerning Glasgow visitor's team of choice.

I know what you mean, I don't know if I'd include it on my best films list. There's so many great films out there I just wouldn't know where to begin.
Reply 3166
I know what you mean, I don't know if I'd include it on my best films list. There's so many great films out there I just wouldn't know where to begin.

That's the main point really: people are obsessed with trying to rank films and create lists. It's hard to come up with any sort of objective list, but if we're saying it's possible, then justifying it needs to be done. A lot of people say Shawshank but don't really give any reason beyond that.
Original post by zjs
That's the main point really: people are obsessed with trying to rank films and create lists. It's hard to come up with any sort of objective list, but if we're saying it's possible, then justifying it needs to be done. A lot of people say Shawshank but don't really give any reason beyond that.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, although to be fair sometimes it is hard to give reasons. I find it kind of works like that for me but in the opposite way, I'll think a film is really great but then the longer it's been since I've seen it, the more I doubt how good it really was. Like when I recommend it to someone I think "oh wait was it really as good as I thought?"
I had this with Blue Valentine, I thought it was awesome but then when I recommended it to one of my friends (who is also more of a typical guy into action films) I thought actually...he might find it boring. But after he'd finished he said it was amazing.
Also I find when I watch a film I haven't seen in ages and I think, oh yeah I forgot how good this was. And I feel a little bad for not giving it the credit it should have.

Do you get this at all?
Reply 3168
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, although to be fair sometimes it is hard to give reasons. I find it kind of works like that for me but in the opposite way, I'll think a film is really great but then the longer it's been since I've seen it, the more I doubt how good it really was. Like when I recommend it to someone I think "oh wait was it really as good as I thought?"
I had this with Blue Valentine, I thought it was awesome but then when I recommended it to one of my friends (who is also more of a typical guy into action films) I thought actually...he might find it boring. But after he'd finished he said it was amazing.
Also I find when I watch a film I haven't seen in ages and I think, oh yeah I forgot how good this was. And I feel a little bad for not giving it the credit it should have.

Do you get this at all?

It's usually possible to give at least some reason: even if it's only vague and quite generic.

Well, sometimes my opinion changes or a film isn't what I thought it was. There're some films I remember as really good that I re-watch and find aren't all that great, and there are some films I'll re-watch, having not liked them, only to realise that the film is actually decent.

Sometimes I do over-hype films on the basis of my memory, or undersell them. :sadnod:
Original post by zjs
It's usually possible to give at least some reason: even if it's only vague and quite generic.

Well, sometimes my opinion changes or a film isn't what I thought it was. There're some films I remember as really good that I re-watch and find aren't all that great, and there are some films I'll re-watch, having not liked them, only to realise that the film is actually decent.

Sometimes I do over-hype films on the basis of my memory, or undersell them. :sadnod:

Oh yeah of course. But, again, with the example of blue valentine I was saying "this is great you have to watch this" and he asked what it's about and I described the plot and of course it doesn't sound anything special.

Hmmm. yeah see I find I hype them then immediately undersell them and then hype it again but then go away doubting myself. I'm sure there's something to be said about this, but oh well! :erm:
Reply 3170
Oh yeah of course. But, again, with the example of blue valentine I was saying "this is great you have to watch this" and he asked what it's about and I described the plot and of course it doesn't sound anything special.

Hmmm. yeah see I find I hype them then immediately undersell them and then hype it again but then go away doubting myself. I'm sure there's something to be said about this, but oh well! :erm:

I usually revert to generic terms if I really can't remember; but normally I just try and describe what elements of the plot/acting were really good, what made it stand out etc. Think it's all in the way you describe how the plot works, rather than just relating it.
Original post by zjs
I usually revert to generic terms if I really can't remember; but normally I just try and describe what elements of the plot/acting were really good, what made it stand out etc. Think it's all in the way you describe how the plot works, rather than just relating it.

Yeah. Although I think sometimes I don't want to give too much away, also if they're unconvinced by what you've said then their expectations are lowered and the film is immediately better than they thought.
Reply 3172
Yeah. Although I think sometimes I don't want to give too much away, also if they're unconvinced by what you've said then their expectations are lowered and the film is immediately better than they thought.

If you mention why the plot of the film is good (i.e. general terms about it), rather than what the plot actually is, you don't ruin anything but give a decent opinion on it.

Or they just don't see it, ofc.
15% off on Tesco online store if you spend over £20 with 20JULY15-1

Drops the price of the LOTR boxset down!
Original post by cambo211
Im pretty sure it was you who explained why it cost so much to me.

I don't remember that conversation at all. If you can point me in its direction though I'd be happy to wipe egg off my face. :p:

What I would guess has happened is that somebody amalgamated the advertising budget with the production budget, which inflated the number significantly. Or someone just made one up for ****s and giggles.

Original post by zjs

I think once something reaches a critical mass of popularity a lot of people just instinctively go along with the consensus. If you were to ask ten people who had never seen The Godfather how good it was, I'm sure the majority of them would have no problem in saying it is a great film. It works both ways though; I can't imagine that most people who saw Avatar immediately thought about Kevin Costner.
Reply 3175
Just bought Ghost, American Gigolo and An Officer And A Gentleman from Sainsbury's for a fiver. Bar to the gain. :cool:
I's just come back from a big get together with lots of nerdy friends where we were gaming and watching films for 4 days straight on a HUGE screen with amazing sound system - I've truly spoilt myself! We watched Iron Man II, Machete, Sunshine, Avatar, Inception, The Fifth Element, Paul, Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Reservoir Dogs :coma:
Reply 3177
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I's just come back from a big get together with lots of nerdy friends where we were gaming and watching films for 4 days straight on a HUGE screen with amazing sound system - I've truly spoilt myself! We watched Iron Man II, Machete, Sunshine, Avatar, Inception, The Fifth Element, Paul, Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Reservoir Dogs :coma:

You watched nine films in four days of solid film watching? Lightweights, tbh. :colonhash:
Original post by zjs
You watched nine films in four days of solid film watching? Lightweights, tbh. :colonhash:

It wasn't solid, it was 2 or 3 a night after days of drinking, gaming, card games, etc :tongue:
Reply 3179
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
It wasn't solid, it was 2 or 3 a night after days of drinking, gaming, card games, etc :tongue:

"gaming and watching films for 4 days straight".

Your original description didn't include your card game and drinking tomfoolery. :hmmm:

Quick Reply

Latest