The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
I never did root my original ROM I just flashed the recovery (will work on 1.5 or 2.1) and then installed a rooted 1.5 ROM (all that was out at the time).

Have you looked over at MoDaCo?

All instructions seem to be from 2.1. What did people do before 2.1 was out, surely there's a way to do it from 1.5? :-/
Another day, another faulty Sensation. Contacted the retailer this morning to ask if I could retain the phone for a few weeks/months before trading it for a handset from a different 'batch' (when HTC have hopefully gotten their act together) and was given the following choices:

1) Have my 'exchange period' extended for 14 days from today and exchange the phone within that time. However, they tend to order in bulk, so there's no saying they'll have handsets from another 'batch' within that time.

2) Trade my Sensation for another model.

I'm really not sure what to do. As much as I desperately want to like the Sensation, I shouldn't have to be worrying about such elementary faults on a £500 device.

She also replied with "We have not been informed by HTC there is an ongoing fault with the handsets, the product has not been recalled by the manufacturer therefore we can only exchange again for you or return and cancel the contract" when I mentioned the fact that all she has to do is glance at any well-populated Android forum to see hundreds of people with the same problems, many who have received numerous handsets with the same flaws.

I don't wish to simply keep exchanging Sensation after Sensation, mostly due to the fact every exchange has a turnaround of several days, and I'm subsequently totally unable to use the (rather expensive) pay monthly contract during that time.

I just want a handset that's of an acceptable standard for such an expensive, high-end device. Is that really too much to ask? Evidently so, according to HTC.

My apologies for the lengthy diatribe.
Tangentially, would any of you be able to recommend some decent phonebook/contacts apps for Android? I can't say I particularly like the 'People' app HTC offer, so I'm looking for some alternatives.
Get the Galaxy S II. HTC haven't got the Aluminium quite figured out yet. I remember when the DHD came out there were quite a few reports of dust in screen, misaligned camera, screen misaligned and the one that nearly everyone got, faulty sim cover :sigh:. I would just cancel.
Original post by yoyo462001
Get the Galaxy S II. HTC haven't got the Aluminium quite figured out yet. I remember when the DHD came out there were quite a few reports of dust in screen, misaligned camera, screen misaligned and the one that nearly everyone got, faulty sim cover :sigh:. I would just cancel.

Emailed them back asking if I can use the extended returns period (14 days from today) to ponder upon what to do.

My first thought was to exchange the Sensation for a Galaxy S2, but it's just a shame HTC can't seem to get this right. The Sensation is a thing of beauty and a fantastic piece of equipment apart from the monumental problems with dust/debris.
Reply 5425
Are there any stable Sense Roms for the Galaxy S II?

I don't think so. xda developer people are still working on it.
BUT, they have a Mod if you use Launcher Pro.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1017791
I was writing a text and meant to type "instead" but managed to write "instas" and the phone gave me quite a strange suggestion... lol. Try it out to see if you get the same. :tongue:
Original post by AugustWestie
I was writing a text and meant to type "instead" but managed to write "instas" and the phone gave me quite a strange suggestion... lol. Try it out to see if you get the same. :tongue:

Which phone / ROM? I just get "instant" as the primary suggestion. :dontknow:
Original post by alex_hk90

I got 'Intrastate'.
Undress?
Original post by alex_hk90

It's a Gingerbread ROM on Desire HD.

At the time of writing the text it was mildly amusing but obviously it's going to be a disappointment now. :tongue:

Lol. Custom dictionary.

Edit: that sense or vanilla with HTC IME?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mikeyd85
Lol. Custom dictionary.

Edit: that sense or vanilla with HTC IME?

It's the Sense 3.0 messaging app.

With default dictionary. :wink:
I'm running Sense Gingerbread, imagine we're both running same base. I didn't get that all. Not custom dictionary because I have that word too :sexface:
I'm running Sense Gingerbread, imagine we're both running same base. I didn't get that all. Not custom dictionary because I have that word too :sexface:

I had trouble replicating it and I worked out that if you press the key in "instas" as close as possible to the corresponding key in "ubersexual" it works. :biggrin: I had no idea it actually mattered whereabouts on the key you pressed.

I had trouble replicating it and I worked out that if you press the key in "instas" as close as possible to the corresponding key in "ubersexual" it works. :biggrin: I had no idea it actually mattered whereabouts on the key you pressed.

I didn't know to. I tried to recreate it, didn't work :sad:
Original post by G8D
Of course there is. But why do you want to stay on 1.5...?

It's okay, I found this which didn't involve any goldcards or whatnot. Much easier to do than some of the other instructions I've seen. Just need to find a nice ROM now :smile:
Original post by G8D
I can easily recommend MoDaCo custom ROM and Cronos if you want a 2.1 Sense ROM. If you want the latest Android (Gingerbread) then your best bet would be to get CronosGinger.

Do you have to log in to see the ROMs over on Cronos Android these days? I've forgotten my logon credentials ya see!

edit: Though +1 for Cronos Hero ROMs. They're the best. :yep:
Original post by G8D
I dunno, I just use XDA for ROMs now :colondollar:

:tongue: Don't blame you really! More choice.
Hey guys! what up I just got HTC Desire S last week my 1st ever android phone and I got to say I like every bit of android that offer something different then iphone.

Latest