The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4520
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Is it related to clashing term dates, perhaps? I've seen that given somewhere as a reason why Masters courses commonly aren't permitted as intercalated degrees.

I'm not sure I understand why it would be a problem. You're only allowed to incalate after third year, and third year does finish quite late, but that only means that you'd just not have a long holiday surely?
Reply 4521
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'm not sure if UEA offer external intercalation.

If not I get to choose between an MRes or an MClinEd......

People who were in my year intercalated in London this year so it is possible (one even intercalated in Australia :yep:)
Original post by lekky
I'm not sure I understand why it would be a problem. You're only allowed to incalate after third year, and third year does finish quite late, but that only means that you'd just not have a long holiday surely?

When does fourth year start though? Ours is a July start, so there could be cross-over between the end of your iBSc and your return to clinicals.
Reply 4523
When does fourth year start though? Ours is a July start, so there could be cross-over between the end of your iBSc and your return to clinicals.

I just asked someone in 3rd year who says its normally at the very end of august it starts :dontknow:
Reply 4524
Original post by Hygeia
People who were in my year intercalated in London this year so it is possible (one even intercalated in Australia :yep:)

Ugh! I think this is the first thing I've really hated Glasgow for :angry:

the ugh was from jealousy and bitterness, btw :tongue:
Reply 4525
Really? What's the reasoning behind it, out of interest?

At UCL they've just changed it so they're making it compulsory for the years below us to intercalate here (and not letting external applicants in) so they can start to introduce some MBBS bits to the BSc year to allow continuity.. perhaps it's going to be a widespread move?

Personally I'm looking forward to a year away from the MBBS completely but I guess I can see where they're coming from.. will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Original post by Tech
At UCL they've just changed it so they're making it compulsory for the years below us to intercalate here (and not letting external applicants in) so they can start to introduce some MBBS bits to the BSc year to allow continuity.. perhaps it's going to be a widespread move?

Personally I'm looking forward to a year away from the MBBS completely but I guess I can see where they're coming from.. will be interesting to see how it pans out.

At Peninsula they have started getting those who are intercalating to participate in the progress tests alongside the rest of the curriculum so that their BMBS knowledge stays to a standard suitable to enter 5th year.
Reply 4527
Just swapped rooms with one of my flatmates. I'm downsizing from a mahooosive room to one about 1/3rd of the size. Damn my inability to sleep with traffic noise!
Reply 4528
Original post by lekky
Just swapped rooms with one of my flatmates. I'm downsizing from a mahooosive room to one about 1/3rd of the size. Damn my inability to sleep with traffic noise!

Noez! :eek: I find traffic noise quite soothing when going to sleep actually (am I weird?)... It does rather annoy me when all the buses start going humpybumpy at 5am though, it's like, "I wanna sleep for an extra hour and a half, boohoooo".
Reply 4529
Original post by Skwee
Noez! :eek: I find traffic noise quite soothing when going to sleep actually (am I weird?)... It does rather annoy me when all the buses start going humpybumpy at 5am though, it's like, "I wanna sleep for an extra hour and a half, boohoooo".

Yes, you are weird :tongue: I don't want any 5am wake up calls! everyone just looked at me in shock. It's literally SO much smaller but oh my god I don't even care I want to be able to sleep. Every car going past vibrates around my ears, damn my rural upbringing!
Reply 4530
Original post by lekky
Yes, you are weird :tongue: I don't want any 5am wake up calls! everyone just looked at me in shock. It's literally SO much smaller but oh my god I don't even care I want to be able to sleep. Every car going past vibrates around my ears, damn my rural upbringing!

Haha I can't help it, ever since I read "Postmortem" like 8 years ago I've been scared a murderous rapist might climb through my (4th floor...yeahh right) window and somehow traffic and general street noise makes it all better. :P Other than those annoying school kids who think shouting around until 3am since they're on summer break already is a good idea...grr.

My boyfriend's parents' house is in a sort of rural setting, I can hear teh cows when I stay there. Scarier than traffic! :P
Finance problem hopefully solved. Amazing how nice they are when you start your telephone call with the words formal complaint.
Reply 4532
I suck at sounding evil over the phone. :frown:
Original post by carcinoma
At Peninsula they have started getting those who are intercalating to participate in the progress tests alongside the rest of the curriculum so that their BMBS knowledge stays to a standard suitable to enter 5th year.

Ouch, that's harsh! I haven't heard about this, is it new for those intercalating in September? Do they have to pass? I think that would be really disruptive.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Ouch, that's harsh! I haven't heard about this, is it new for those intercalating in September? Do they have to pass? I think that would be really disruptive.

Well those who just finished intercalating had to sit the final AMK, and they next set have to sit it also.

I'm assuming that they may extend this to all four, if it proves to be useful.
Original post by carcinoma
Well those who just finished intercalating had to sit the final AMK, and they next set have to sit it also.

I'm assuming that they may extend this to all four, if it proves to be useful.

Sitting the final one formatively would be useful, for people to see how much they've forgotten and how they compare to their new year group, so they can revise a bit over the summer if necessary. I think they also have to do a formative ISCE before they start, to check their clinical skills. Having to do all 4 AMKs would be really disruptive to their other course I think, particularly for people doing quite unrelated subjects (people have done music/statistic/international relations) or those who are intercalating externally.
Original post by lekky
really pissed off with glasgows 'no external intercalation' policy right now. grrrrr. so ridiculous and (I think) the only med school in the UK to have this policy

Cambridge certainly doesnt let you either - i dont think oxford does either
Original post by Elles
How have people done their A&E clinical attachments...?

Because currently have students in A&E makes my day much worse & I usually love teaching. :bawling: There isn't really a plan for them - they seem to just be told to attach themselves to someone (usually an FY2) but then they don't really shadow they want to see patients... which is fine.

But then I have to juggle more patients with my patients - it builds in delays while I'm multitasking & I'm not sure their clerking saves anytime as the quality isn't great (i.e. missing fairly obvious Qs, not pushing for a repeat prescription list & doing a proper drug history or even doing any attempt at examination because for some reason things are difficult so they can't do it... I'm obviously trying to train them up on these things!).
& then I get even later trying to through in teaching points too.
& then if I've redone the clerking sometimes need to run it by a middlegrade/consultant anyway.
& then they ask if they can go for lunch because it's lunchtime when i haven't PUd all day & feel like I'm about to have a hypo! :tongue:
Not that I remember that much of A&E but I think we presented to SpRs and Consultants only to speed things along?

Getting people to do practical procedures is easy - if there's something to be done then I'll happily find (& supervise :wink: ) a student to do it if they've done it on a mannekin (sometimes they haven't?! Weird), can talk me through it & patient is happy... it's the seeing patients part that stresses me out & I want to be welcomming & helpful but it's making me a grump.

What have people found helpful as a way to learn in A&E?

House of god rule #11 - show me a medical student who only triples my work and i will kiss his feet. :tongue:
Reply 4538
Original post by Captain Crash
Cambridge certainly doesnt let you either - i dont think oxford does either

But you get to move for clinical!
Original post by lekky
But you get to move for clinical!

Surely they will let you intercalate externally if it is a course that is not done at Glasgow and you can show how it will benefit your career/rest of your degree?

Latest