The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
"gaming and watching films for 4 days straight".

Your original description didn't include your card game and drinking tomfoolery. :hmmm:

Urgh fine I sincerely apologise!
Original post by Sonny_J_D
And The Necromancer!

The good things about the different Sherlock Holmeses* (the series and the film) is that they are played in an almost completely different way - you can enjoy both separately. The series just edges it for me though.

Also is it just me that thinks that Downey Jr is a more convincing Englishman than Jude Law?

* ? - that can't be the correct term...

And him.

I agree. In the film, and being more accurate to the source material, he practices martial arts and in the TV series, his fighting ability is pretty much non-existent. But similarly, in the TV series, Sherlock is a bigger show-off of his deductive reasoning than the film. Though they are both prone to bouts of boredom, stringing guitars, allusions to drug-taking and randomly shooting guns at walls. The music in the TV series was very similar to the film too. The TV series Sherlock is also shown to be lacking more empathy than the film one whilst the film one is seen to be more of a experimentalist/inventor. The relationship between Holmes and Watson is also different (probably down to it being further along the development line in the film where there's almost a lovers-comedic-manipulation aspect).

Anyway, Stephen Fry was cast as Mycroft (Gatiss took that role in the TV series) in the second film, which is a perfect choice.

Looking forward to it alot. Hope they pull off Moriarty properly. Brad Pitt wouldn't have been a bad choice but ah well.

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I's just come back from a big get together with lots of nerdy friends where we were gaming and watching films for 4 days straight on a HUGE screen with amazing sound system - I've truly spoilt myself! We watched Iron Man II, Machete, Sunshine, Avatar, Inception, The Fifth Element, Paul, Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Reservoir Dogs :coma:

Sounds great tbh. What did you game?

Sunshine (like MJ said a while back) and The Fifth Element are both underrated science fiction films. The former is both beautiful and striking whilst the latter being more cheesy and action-y but still fantastic.
Reply 3182
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Sunshine (like MJ said a while back) and The Fifth Element are both underrated science fiction films. The former is both beautiful and striking whilst the latter being more cheesy and action-y but still fantastic.

The Fifth Element was one of the worst sci-fi films ever committed to celluloid, imo; perhaps I'd even go as far as to call it one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Original post by zjs
The Fifth Element was one of the worst sci-fi films ever committed to celluloid, imo; perhaps I'd even go as far as to call it one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I really liked it. It's a cult classic. Love it or hate it.
Worst science fiction film is either Aeon Flux or Battlefield Earth. Maybe throw The Core in there as well.
Reply 3185
I really liked it. It's a cult classic. Love it or hate it.

I just thought it was all too over the top, too garish, too cheesy. Tucker couldn't have been any more annoying either.

Worst science fiction film is either Aeon Flux or Battlefield Earth. Maybe throw The Core in there as well.

The Core was the usual churned out melodrama, but I still preferred it - infinitely - to The Fifth Element. Haven't seen the others; I had no desire to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Admittedly, I had never watched the original Italian Job till the other day. Boy, oh boy. What an absolutely cracking film, Michael Cane on top form!
Sounds great tbh. What did you game?

It was mainly Guitar Hero, Soul Calibur (and similar like Marvel vs Capcom), a few racing games, then some people went on things like Little Big Planet and something called Noby Noby Boy which scares me lol.

Then we had some more nerdy stuff like Magic The Gathering (oh yes that's right :wink:) and RPing... not LARPing I want to make that clear now lol.

I love Sunshine but The Fifth Element... it's good but not as epic as it was made out to be to me lol
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1700051

Read it. Digest it. Discuss it. Make predictions about it. Make sure as many people know about it as possible. Get involved. Make it as good as it can be, so the admin let us do more things like this.
Bravo Phal. Injecting some excitement into this desolate forum (with the exception of our ever-exciting chat thread).

AND NO SERENITY TO CLINCH THE TITLE FROM EMPIRE STRIKES BACK! :smug:
(edited 12 years ago)
The pokémon can have a month off.
Johnny Depps' in talks to do Pirates 5 apparently, almost signed up for that.. *facepalm* then again can't say I didn't see it coming

also I finally saw Pitch Black yesterday, I quite liked it actually. Riddick was such an ass in it, but still kinda likeable
Matrix or Saving Private Ryan - Toy Story 3 or Forrest Gump. What does TSR like most? :beard:
Matrix or Saving Private Ryan - Toy Story 3 or Forrest Gump. What does TSR like most? :beard:

The hardest for me was The Shawshank Redemption vs Inception
Reply 3194
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Monsters Inc. 2

CAN NOT WAIT.

SHUT UP IS THERE A MONSTERS INC 2
thats actually made my life!!
Original post by jamu
SHUT UP IS THERE A MONSTERS INC 2
thats actually made my life!!

Monsters University.
Original post by Le Carré
Admittedly, I had never watched the original Italian Job till the other day. Boy, oh boy. What an absolutely cracking film, Michael Cane on top form!

With regards to the ending... I hope to never be in that situation. :tongue:

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
something called Noby Noby Boy which scares me lol.

Don't even want to ask. :awesome:

I love Sunshine but The Fifth Element... it's good but not as epic as it was made out to be to me lol

That's mainly why I like it. It's not epic. It's not dark. Not gritty. Not too focused on marines or core science fiction concepts.

It's just cheesy, over the top, one liners with some action. :tongue: A bit like what Die Hard is to the likes of Bourne.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Johnny Depps' in talks to do Pirates 5 apparently, almost signed up for that.. *facepalm* then again can't say I didn't see it coming

also I finally saw Pitch Black yesterday, I quite liked it actually. Riddick was such an ass in it, but still kinda likeable

Have you watched Chronicles?

Riddick is generally an awesome character.

Then you don't need to!

With regards to the ending... I hope to never be in that situation. :tongue:

That's mainly why I like it. It's not epic. It's not dark. Not gritty. Not too focused on marines or core science fiction concepts.

It's just cheesy, over the top, one liners with some action. :tongue: A bit like what Die Hard is to the likes of Bourne.

Have you watched Chronicles?

Riddick is generally an awesome character.

Yeah I have, quite enjoyed it too but funny enough, I didn't know about Pitch black until a few months ago. Thought Chronicles was the start of the series, but yeah agreed on Riddick

on a random note

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/sol/ - interesting premise, I'm interested already
Ape Gone Insane

Show off :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest