tomorrow ?? :O

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Today Tuesday?
How'd it go? :smile:

Yep, I got 3030 :smile:
Original post by rhetoric

wow, in my head that's 757.5?

That's insane, really well done, Sheffield, Kings, Barts all gonna love you.

Any tips, anything about the on screen calculator?

Woow.. good one! Well done! :smile:
And I suppose its nice to get out of the way too.. I'll still be panicking for a good month yet! :tongue:
Reply 5383
recently, i've been worrying about this, so, i thought i'd turn to people who might be in the same boat as me, and see what you all think..
at the moment, i'm thinking of applying to nottingham, leeds, aberdeen and not yet decided on a fourth;

the fact is, i really do want to do medicine, there isn't anything else i can think of that'd satisfy me even slightly, apart from maybe a language; but i didnt do that at alevel, and i could always do a language later in life..

anyway.. here's the figures,
i've gotten 3A*s, 4As & 4Bs at GCSE, My UKCAT is the beginning of august; and i can't imagine that i'm going to excel in that.. as for work experience; well, i don't have alot, but i've been told that its all about what you gain from it, either way, im doing a weeks rotation at a hospital this summer which im really looking forward to, as well as a weekly thing at a local care home; i'd find some more, but time isn't on my side!

As for Alevels, i've just dropped my Art AS, so im left with biology, chemistry & physics, (im predicted As in everything, and although it may not count for much, i didnt do art gcse - which i suppose i can talk about in my personal statement as enjoying new challenges).

In school i have really good relationships with my teachers, and im also in charge of organising and running world challenge for our sixth form.. as for extra currciula, well, photography, cycling, - besides that nothing fascinating (reading, socializing... sleeping, etc..)

Anyway, basically..
1) think im aiming too high - or do you still think i've got as gooder chance as alot of other people?
2) my choices? i've aimed at places that look at all the elements, but if i'm just "average" in terms of a medical applicant then surely i'll be up against people who are "excellent" in everything and therefore have better chances of getting an interview..?
3) anything else..?

Regardless, i'll still be applying in september, but i'm just feeling very unconfident at the moment, if all fails then i plan on taking the year out and gaining a bit more experience before reapplying!

xxx
Reply 5384
Original post by Straight up G
wow, in my head that's 757.5?

That's insane, really well done, Sheffield, Kings, Barts all gonna love you.

Any tips, anything about the on screen calculator?

They give you a handheld one! I was expecting an on screen one too, I was surprised

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Woow.. good one! Well done! :smile:
And I suppose its nice to get out of the way too.. I'll still be panicking for a good month yet! :tongue:

Thanks :smile: yeah I'm pleased I've done it :smile: good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:
They give you a handheld one! I was expecting an on screen one too, I was surprised

Thanks :smile: yeah I'm pleased I've done it :smile: good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

Oh thank god.. I'm rubbish with the on screen one. Well done on the score too!
Reply 5386
Original post by MrsNorthman
Oh thank god.. I'm rubbish with the on screen one. Well done on the score too!

Yeah, when I did the practice ones using it took me ages! Thanks :smile:
hey im thinking of applying for medicine 2012 entry for Keele, Cardiff, Nottingham, Leeds/Sheffield. My gcse's are 2A* and 8A, and im predicted all A's for my alevels, its just i cant see myself doing well on the ukcat as im finding the practice tests dificult:/ does anyone know how much those unis value the ukcat and if my gcse's are alright for them?:smile: thanks :smile:
Original post by mikeyjets
hey im thinking of applying for medicine 2012 entry for Keele, Cardiff, Nottingham, Leeds/Sheffield. My gcse's are 2A* and 8A, and im predicted all A's for my alevels, its just i cant see myself doing well on the ukcat as im finding the practice tests dificult:/ does anyone know how much those unis value the ukcat and if my gcse's are alright for them?:smile: thanks :smile:

You need ~720 for Sheffield.
Reply 5389

Based on the practice tests I thought my UKCAT was going to go really badly- I did it today and it went pretty well, so don't worry too much about the practice tests :smile: Liverpool and Bristol don't use the UKCAT though if that's helpful at all :smile:

Cardiff ask for 5a* at gcse :/
Sheffield; 2500 applicants, 600 meet the UKCAT criteria, 350 offers, 250 places.
Based on the practice tests I thought my UKCAT was going to go really badly- I did it today and it went pretty well, so don't worry too much about the practice tests :smile: Liverpool and Bristol don't use the UKCAT though if that's helpful at all :smile:

Do you mind telling me in detail how you revised/practiced for it and for how long ? :redface: thanks
Reply 5393

Congrats with your score! Must be a relief to get it out of the way :tongue: Which books did you use to prepare? and how was it time wise?
I still don't see any patterns with AR :/
bit off topic but is anyone thinking about taking a gap year before starting medicine. i kinda think that seeing as its going to be 5 years minimum i may aswell take a year to earn some money/ travel etc. but i dont know if its worth it. if you are gonna take a gap year any idea what you're going to/ have arranged to do??? xx
Original post by beckymilts
bit off topic but is anyone thinking about taking a gap year before starting medicine. i kinda think that seeing as its going to be 5 years minimum i may aswell take a year to earn some money/ travel etc. but i dont know if its worth it. if you are gonna take a gap year any idea what you're going to/ have arranged to do??? xx

People, as in doctors I have met during work experience and family, tell me too, as once you begin you enter a life long stream with a current that's difficult to break from. I may travel, get a health care related job for the experience (and to show medical schools)
Original post by ChessMister
People, as in doctors I have met during work experience and family, tell me too, as once you begin you enter a life long stream with a current that's difficult to break from. I may travel, get a health care related job for the experience (and to show medical schools)

i was thinking of trying to train as a healthcare assisstant? if not i was going to go full time in my saturday job then volunteering at a hospice on on of my days off .... i was also looking into "gapmedics" but on some other forums on here people have been saying its a wast of money, and its certainly A LOT of money :?
how are you all going with your PS ? I am sure most you must have started writing it by now.
Original post by cute_wish
how are you all going with your PS ? I am sure most you must have started writing it by now.

First draft done but first draft is also the definition of ****.
Reply 5399
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Do you mind telling me in detail how you revised/practiced for it and for how long ? :redface: thanks

I did all the questions in the 600 qs book and then did the online practice tests on the ukcat website. It was for about 2 or 3 weeks but I was doing school work, open days etc at the same time