The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by feelbetter
You need to cover 3 different aspects of the course to get 3 marks for relevancy, and scientific content comes from the detail of these - all the biology teachers in my college made this clear :P :smile:

Aren't relevance marks for when when your answer is related to the question asked and does not go off topic. I think you mean you get breadth marks for mentioning different topics. Or have I been misguided:tongue:
Oh well.
Original post by feelbetter
You need to cover 3 different aspects of the course to get 3 marks for relevancy, and scientific content comes from the detail of these - all the biology teachers in my college made this clear :P :smile:

how would you determine what are 3 different aspects of the course?

Do you mean content from 3 different units?

because i only wrote about the nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle, calvin cycle, krebs cycle and transpiration...my content is heavy on unit 4 and only slightly on unit 2 - so would I just get 2 marks and about 10 for scientific content?

thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by coffee345

because i only wrote about the nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle, calvin cycle, krebs cycle and transpiration...my content is heavy on unit 4 and only slightly on unit 2 - so would I just get 2 marks and about 10 for scientific content?

Yes I think it's that.
Your scientific marks are soley dependant on the amount of detail your essay has as a whole. So you could still get 0 for breadth and 0 for relevance but still get 16 marks depending on how scientifically sound your essay is. Sorry if I'm patronising you:colondollar:
Reply 3483
Original post by danny1312
I'm not saying that if you've wrote about 10 cycles you won't have done slightly better or the same, but i can't see people writing about 10 cycles getting 16 marks and those writing about 4/5 correct cycles where the products are then used in another cycle getting less because they've only wrote about half the number of cycles. Surely 10 cycles doesn't equal 16 marks, i doubt it just works like that. And also I'm not saying people who wrote extra cycles will get penalized for that

ohh yeah i see weel basically myteacher said if you right 8 cycles in SUFFICIENT detail(not too much not too less) then you should get 2 marks for each one and hence 16 marks however say if you write 4/5 cycles in alot of detail you may get 3 marks per cycle and therefore 16 marks also :smile:
Reply 3484

i think you would get around 10/11 for scientific content maybe more depends how detailed! and 2 for breadth /relevance maybe 3 :smile:
Original post by choc1234
i think you would get around 10/11 for scientific content maybe more depends how detailed! and 2 for breadth /relevance maybe 3 :smile:

what about QWC @.@
does that mean youd get 3 if you write well "/
Reply 3486
what about QWC @.@

yep just good english clearunderstanding
Reply 3487
what about QWC @.@

i think ive lost marks for relevance cus i didnt relate to the title hopefully thats not too much though :s-smilie:
i think ive lost marks for relevance cus i didnt relate to the title hopefully thats not too much though :s-smilie:

oh i see~

how did you find the paper overall?
Reply 3489
oh i see~

how did you find the paper overall?

quite bad
im just praying ive got atleast 55 raw marks on the paper as i need abobut 103 ums out of 140 i hopeive made it but i added up the total marks and it comes to around 50 so i hoppe i picked up marks here and there ...
what about you?
quite bad
im just praying ive got atleast 55 raw marks on the paper as i need abobut 103 ums out of 140 i hopeive made it but i added up the total marks and it comes to around 50 so i hoppe i picked up marks here and there ...
what about you?

same >.<
I'm hoping i get a high B as i need to get it to get into uni to do pharmacy ):

what do you need for uni?
do you reckon the grade boundaries will be lower than June 2010 paper?
Reply 3491
same >.<
I'm hoping i get a high B as i need to get it to get into uni to do pharmacy ):

what do you need for uni?
do you reckon the grade boundaries will be lower than June 2010 paper?

same i need a high B to get an A overall and hence to get into uni :s-smilie:
this is the subject i think i will miss it in though

well someone said earleir that the chief examiner said the grade boundaries will be provisionally lower around 56 for A cus it is an harder papers.
i hope they are and i personally thought that the june 10 paper was easier but i spose this years essay titles were easier so i dunno.
same i need a high B to get an A overall and hence to get into uni :s-smilie:
this is the subject i think i will miss it in though

well someone said earleir that the chief examiner said the grade boundaries will be provisionally lower around 56 for A cus it is an harder papers.
i hope they are and i personally thought that the june 10 paper was easier but i spose this years essay titles were easier so i dunno.

i hope it will be 56 >.<
yeah i thought june 10 paper was easier too...everything was synoptic in this paper >.<
So worried about how i did on this paper!! If i dont get into my course at uni it will be down to this :P
Please let there be low grade boundaries.....

I think it may be 2 or 3 marks for coverage, i only talked about 3 cycles from the 3 different units, but went into a lot of detail, mentioning other cycles at times when relevant, but you don't need loads of cycles as some people seem to have talked loads about many different cycles which is not needed. Scientific content depends on detail and accuracy of what you wrote, so it's hard to tell :smile:
Original post by Jin3011
Aren't relevance marks for when when your answer is related to the question asked and does not go off topic. I think you mean you get breadth marks for mentioning different topics. Or have I been misguided:tongue:
Oh well.

Sorry, I meant breadth of knowledge 3 marks, so 3 marks may be achieved from only 3 cycles really, you need to meantion 3 areas of the specification; 3 different units-im not sure about that but i did talk about 3 cycles from 3 different units,and mentioned a couple more in the plan.
the 16 marks for the detail of what you wrote about each cycle, the thing is if you wrote about too many cycles, you could lose some of these marks as it would be hard to not go into enought detail.
I wrote 5 cycles on Cardiac Cycle, Calvin cycle, Nitrogen cycle, Carbon cycle and muscle contraction in predator prey cycle which spanned unit1 and unit 4, I wish I could have written about translation and transmission across a cholinergic synapse. :frown: There was a online book our teacher gave us which had many examples of essays and it said that we should only write 5 in details. :s-smilie:. What marks will I get then for breath, scientific content etc? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vanny17
I wrote 5 cycles on Cardiac Cycle, Calvin cycle, Nitrogen cycle, Carbon cycle and muscle contraction in predator prey cycle which spanned unit1 and unit 4, I wish I could have written about translation and transmission across a cholinergic synapse. :frown: There was a online book our teacher gave us which had many examples of essays and it said that we should only write 5 in details. :s-smilie:. What marks will I get then for breath, scientific content etc? :s-smilie:

even though i did the dna essay i think you shud get high marks out of scientific content which is out of 16 :smile:
the rest depends on how you wrote the essay and was the essay relevant
Reply 3498
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sooo scaredddddddddddddddd!
does ani1 noe da ums mark boundries for an A and for a B for unit 1 2 4 and 5 plz..fankoo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending