The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

i think nottingham do, if you get a certain pass mark from UEAs foundation year (which is approved by nottingham) coz i was asking about that last year when i screwed up.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 61
Anyone doing the computer science foundation year?
Original post by Fliq
Anyone doing the computer science foundation year?

think everyone on this foundation, regardless of what course you wanna do afterwards, are all together. so we all do this 1st year of foundation science then go onto different courses afterwards. there aren't separate foundation courses for each subject, it's just one big science foundation course.
Reply 63
Went to the Open day and it looks like the entry requirements for the courses following the foundation year are going up (ABB for Biochemistry/ Biomedicine for example), so it seems like we're going to have to work hard lol.
Original post by Jakelee
Went to the Open day and it looks like the entry requirements for the courses following the foundation year are going up (ABB for Biochemistry/ Biomedicine for example), so it seems like we're going to have to work hard lol.

How does that work out? The foundation year is grades using percentages
Reply 65
Managed to get an offer today for the foundation leading to Pharm, (my ps was based on that).... however it says 240 points required from 3 subjects, im projected to get 220 so how would this work, would they still accept me ?

I have completed the extended project qualifaction worth 70 points, an A though and another AS (Politics) at grade C ....
Reply 66
Original post by mrdoovde1
How does that work out? The foundation year is grades using percentages

True but if normal grades for say, Biology, go from BBB to AAB, it would make sense that the corresponding grades for entry from the foundation years also go up (if you see what I'm saying?).

I don't know for sure so didn't mean to needlessly scare anyone.
Reply 67
Original post by GGecko
Managed to get an offer today for the foundation leading to Pharm, (my ps was based on that).... however it says 240 points required from 3 subjects, im projected to get 220 so how would this work, would they still accept me ?

I have completed the extended project qualifaction worth 70 points, an A though and another AS (Politics) at grade C ....

Bump :smile: Much appreciated.
Reply 68
Can any present students give me a rough idea of the timetable - what time you finish/ start / lunchtime, etc?

Meant to ask this a while a go.

Original post by GGecko
Bump :smile: Much appreciated.

I think thats something you have to check with the university mate. Best of luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Jakelee
Can any present students give me a rough idea of the timetable - what time you finish/ start / lunchtime, etc?

Meant to ask this a while a go.

I think thats something you have to check with the university mate. Best of luck.

Managed to get in, achieved the grades :smile: Looking forward to starting?
Reply 70
Original post by GGecko
Managed to get in, achieved the grades :smile: Looking forward to starting?

Well done. :smile:

A mix of being nervous and excited about escaping my hometown. You?
Reply 71
Original post by Jakelee
Well done. :smile:

A mix of being nervous and excited about escaping my hometown. You?

Same, feeling it may be a little difficult to gain entry though (70%) after for the pharm programme, heard of any experiances?
Reply 72
Original post by GGecko
Same, feeling it may be a little difficult to gain entry though (70%) after for the pharm programme, heard of any experiances?

Just the one in the propectus thingy on the Foundation Science page.

I'd have to get 75% to get onto Pharmacy so count yourself lucky. :frown:

I wonder if they have like a quota / limit of people they can take from the foundation year to each course? Although I applied with Bio in mind, Pharmacy is interesting me more and more. You got any work experience in one?
Reply 73
Original post by Jakelee
Just the one in the propectus thingy on the Foundation Science page.

I'd have to get 75% to get onto Pharmacy so count yourself lucky. :frown:

I wonder if they have like a quota / limit of people they can take from the foundation year to each course? Although I applied with Bio in mind, Pharmacy is interesting me more and more. You got any work experience in one?

Aaah, i'm sure it'll be fine, erm, not sure about a quota, im assuming, if you get the required 75/70% then your guaranteed (within reason, depending on interview) to get onto the Mpharm course, further, I can get work experiance in a local pharmacy yes, planning on doing this after first semester when it breaks up.

Is the difficulty equal to A level? Should I prepare AS/A level knowledge?
Reply 74
Original post by GGecko
Aaah, i'm sure it'll be fine, erm, not sure about a quota, im assuming, if you get the required 75/70% then your guaranteed (within reason, depending on interview) to get onto the Mpharm course, further, I can get work experiance in a local pharmacy yes, planning on doing this after first semester when it breaks up.

Is the difficulty equal to A level? Should I prepare AS/A level knowledge?

I imagine they start basic, GCSE level and then go into A-level stuff. I mean it is accommodating for people who have never done any science before in their life so....

Have you done any science a-levels or anything?

I've heard excellent things about the chemistry lecturer as well, shes meant to be really good at getting you to get to grips with the material.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by Jakelee
I imagine they start basic, GCSE level and then go into A-level stuff. I mean it is accommodating for people who have never done any science before in their life so....

Have you done any science a-levels or anything?

I've heard excellent things about the chemistry lecturer as well, shes meant to be really good at getting you to get to grips with the material.

Wicked, nope studied Maths, Economics, History at a level, so quite a change, but managed to get AA at GCSE, which obviously means nothing I've been hearing, cos' of the difficulty at a level... Thats great, what did you study?
Reply 76
I got B,C,D in A level Psychology, Biology and History respectively and I think doing so **** (though really its lack of effort that is to blame) put me off uni. I gave up and failed AS chem so I swear its not happening again.

At least you'll have no problems with maths (so you should be fine with Chem and Physics), imagine not having done any in 5 years - I'm going to suck!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Jakelee
I got B,C,D in A level Psychology, Biology and History respectively and I think doing so **** (though really its lack of effort that is to blame) put me off uni. I gave up and failed AS chem so I swear its not happening again.

At least you'll have no problems with maths (so you should be fine with Chem and Physics), imagine not having done any in 5 years - I'm going to suck!!

Nawww, got a D in math :frown:...so not too sure! Got ACD (Eco,Hist,Math respectively). Atleast I didn't do an a level in science which lets me get through with 70% but i reckon that'll be hard!...same reason as you complete lack of effot, so hope we get through this :smile: Good uni aswell I've heard.... do you know how many hours per week course takes up? How are exams done etc?
Reply 78
Original post by GGecko
Nawww, got a D in math :frown:...so not too sure! Got ACD (Eco,Hist,Math respectively). Atleast I didn't do an a level in science which lets me get through with 70% but i reckon that'll be hard!...same reason as you complete lack of effot, so hope we get through this :smile: Good uni aswell I've heard.... do you know how many hours per week course takes up? How are exams done etc?

21- 25 hours a week. I think its a mixture of exams and courswork type of stuff.

Supposedly you can get extra help for things you are weak in anyway.
Reply 79
Original post by Jakelee
21- 25 hours a week. I think its a mixture of exams and courswork type of stuff.

Supposedly you can get extra help for things you are weak in anyway.

Can pick modules to suit you as indicated on the website right?...just have to complete the two specific chem modules correct? - Its true that if you complete with the required % you get onto the pharm degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending