The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankie
I'm exactly the same I will be convinced until I graduate that I got in by accident :tongue: I'm going to (hopefully) be at Christ Church :biggrin: What about you? I'm going to go on the open day in a couple of weeks and ask which ones we'll definitely need to get, meanwhile I'm just reading some of the interesting looking ones. My favourite so far has been The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes :biggrin:

I can't wait to stop having to say 'hopefully' whenever people ask me where I'm going - either way I want to know for certain what I am doing :smile: That sounds a good plan with the open day - the Sykes one looks good. I've read the Genome one by Matt Ridley, and The Selfish Gene. The Ben Goldacre Bad Science on is quite good as well. Should probably enjoy reading the more general 'popular science' one before we get deluged with heavy textbooks next year...

Christ Church is very nice, Magdalen for me (hopefully...) I expect all the medics will get to know each other anyway :P
Reply 2081
Original post by SephyStar
I can't wait to stop having to say 'hopefully' whenever people ask me where I'm going - either way I want to know for certain what I am doing :smile: That sounds a good plan with the open day - the Sykes one looks good. I've read the Genome one by Matt Ridley, and The Selfish Gene. The Ben Goldacre Bad Science on is quite good as well. Should probably enjoy reading the more general 'popular science' one before we get deluged with heavy textbooks next year...

Christ Church is very nice, Magdalen for me (hopefully...) I expect all the medics will get to know each other anyway :P

I know, I may be dreading results day but I still wish it would hurry up just so I know what I'm going to be doing next year :tongue: I went to the open day yesterday and asked one of the students about textbooks and she said she just borrowed all of the books she needed in 1st year from the college library and the science library :smile: That should be slightly nicer on our purse strings! I've just got Genome in the post, not sure if its exactly holiday reading but I'm going to take it on holiday to Greece and read it anyway :tongue:
Reply 2082
Original post by Lac.
Just out of interest, why did you do ES if you're reading Classics and French?

I had originally wanted to do L, but the administration at my school wouldn't open a section although there were 5 of us who wanted to do it, so I was sort of forced to do ES, which definitely wasn't an over-all bad thing.
Original post by TurnerE
I had originally wanted to do L, but the administration at my school wouldn't open a section although there were 5 of us who wanted to do it, so I was sort of forced to do ES, which definitely wasn't an over-all bad thing.

I just started La Châtelaine de Vergy and panicked because it's in old French - until I realised the translation is on the other page...
Reply 2084
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I just started La Châtelaine de Vergy and panicked because it's in old French - until I realised the translation is on the other page...

Do you think that they want us to get a version like that, with old french and modern french, or do you think just modern french will do? Also, how is it so far?
Original post by TurnerE
Do you think that they want us to get a version like that, with old french and modern french, or do you think just modern french will do? Also, how is it so far?

I think you have to quote in Old French but I think reading the modern one is fine. Luckily it's short and really easy to read in modern french so plot/themes/characters won't be too hard to analyse.
Reply 2086
I think you have to quote in Old French but I think reading the modern one is fine. Luckily it's short and really easy to read in modern french so plot/themes/characters won't be too hard to analyse.

How in the world have you managed to get through so much of the reading already?!?! I only got me reading list on Sunday.... I feel very behind compared to you :/ AND, I've got Classics reading to do!
Original post by TurnerE
How in the world have you managed to get through so much of the reading already?!?! I only got me reading list on Sunday.... I feel very behind compared to you :/ AND, I've got Classics reading to do!

I've been reading a book a day, but admittedly my notes are quite shoddy :biggrin:

You'll have no problem! Your French must be amazing. I think I'm reading so much from fear of doing too little =S I heard horror stories of people reading nothing and then really struggling in the first term.

Also, I reckon the rate at which I finish books will slow down considerably when I get to the literary theory/Philosophy texts - they're a bit more abstract.
(edited 12 years ago)

Not true - you can quote in modern French in the exam if you want.
Original post by pinstriped.flower
Not true - you can quote in modern French in the exam if you want.

Thanks for the clarification! Actually, that's quite a relief, because there's no way I'd be able to remember all the crazy spellings :colondollar:
I've been reading a book a day, but admittedly my notes are quite shoddy :biggrin:

I heard horror stories of people reading nothing and then really struggling in the first term.

Also, I reckon the rate at which I finish books will slow down considerably when I get to the literary theory/Philosophy texts - they're a bit more abstract.

A book a day?

1)That's it. I'm done for. It took me two months to read Effi Briest (German equivalent of Madame Bovary)... AND I AM GERMAN.

XP

2) On a less morose note, I read so little of the Briest because I was lazy and don't like Victorian literature; when I hit philosohpy & thought, I read so little because my brain was melting. Melty-melting. Into grey goopy puddles.

After Marx and halfway through Freud, I gave up and switched to English because no amount of pride is worth doing that to yourself. I recommend read them quickly in English, then in French because the concepts won't confuse you -- only the terms. Now all I have left is a Kant and a Nietzsche but I'm hating it to be honest, as someone with a very very shaky grounding in philosophy, and Wikipedia (Simple English version, bien sur) is my lifeline. Good luck!

3) You don't need to worry about reading the whole list. From friends I have at Oxbridge, they all say that reading the works for the following term in the holidays previous and then again during term is enough, and if you do more the good stuff will filter out. If you do want to read all your reading list, I'd recommend reading it in backwards order of your year - start with your trinity texts and finish with the Michaelmas ones, so they're fresh in your mind at the end of the summer. What is the extra stuff of French Sole? Am curioos...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2091
Anybody who hasn't received their reading lists yet..? :s-smilie:
Original post by cynthialf
This is likely to vary by college so it'd be helpful to know which one. I had a yellow financial guarantee form that I had to fill in and attach a letter from the SLC and a representative of a bank to certify that I had enough funds for living expenses but this might be different for UK students. It's probably something to that effect though.

EDIT: got my IB results - met my offer! :smile:

I had mine too, missed it by quite a way. :frown: Both my TOK and EE are being remarked though, and I think a few of my subjects are going to be remarked too. I came out with 35 and need 40, with 7,6,6 in my highers (I had 6,6,6, but apparently a couple of marks off a 7 for French). I had 0 for my TOK/EE when I was predicted at least two Bs and came out with a C & D. :frown: Went on a revision course for Economics and did worse in that than anything else. So I'm going to ring St. John's tomorrow, and see what happens. I feel like I'm even more in limbo than I was before I had the results. :frown:
Reply 2093
Original post by meganeira
I had mine too, missed it by quite a way. :frown: Both my TOK and EE are being remarked though, and I think a few of my subjects are going to be remarked too. I came out with 35 and need 40, with 7,6,6 in my highers (I had 6,6,6, but apparently a couple of marks off a 7 for French). I had 0 for my TOK/EE when I was predicted at least two Bs and came out with a C & D. :frown: Went on a revision course for Economics and did worse in that than anything else. So I'm going to ring St. John's tomorrow, and see what happens. I feel like I'm even more in limbo than I was before I had the results. :frown:

Awwww :frown: *hugs* I know how horrible you must be feeling right now. But please don't despair! You have to know that IB externals are often unpredictable. Even the best sometimes stumble for no good reason. TOK is so very subjective. Different markers will develop different opinions about the arguments presented in your essay. I know a handful of people who was predicted A but fell 50 miles and landed a D. Get it remarked/reassessed by a different marker and see if your bonus mark goes up by one or two.

Phone St. John's ASAP and explain your situation. ASAP!!! Someone from our school missed her Cambridge offer by 4 points. Her college decided to keep her regardless. There is hope!!

Original post by piya21

Count me in. :l
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by barefootfiona
A book a day?

1)That's it. I'm done for. It took me two months to read Effi Briest (German equivalent of Madame Bovary)... AND I AM GERMAN.

XP

2) On a less morose note, I read so little of the Briest because I was lazy and don't like Victorian literature; when I hit philosohpy & thought, I read so little because my brain was melting. Melty-melting. Into grey goopy puddles.

After Marx and halfway through Freud, I gave up and switched to English because no amount of pride is worth doing that to yourself. I recommend read them quickly in English, then in French because the concepts won't confuse you -- only the terms. Now all I have left is a Kant and a Nietzsche but I'm hating it to be honest, as someone with a very very shaky grounding in philosophy, and Wikipedia (Simple English version, bien sur) is my lifeline. Good luck!

3) You don't need to worry about reading the whole list. From friends I have at Oxbridge, they all say that reading the works for the following term in the holidays previous and then again during term is enough, and if you do more the good stuff will filter out. If you do want to read all your reading list, I'd recommend reading it in backwards order of your year - start with your trinity texts and finish with the Michaelmas ones, so they're fresh in your mind at the end of the summer. What is the extra stuff of French Sole? Am curioos...

Haha, reading a text a day does in no way mean I have understood the text in any depth :biggrin: I just want to get familiar with the language and plots and then it'll hopefully make my recap reading a bit better. And I have been focusing on the short texts - once I get to the meatier ones I will slow down considerably (I took ages with Les Liaisons Dangereuses)

I have got English translations for the crazier texts :smile:

The extra topics for French sole are:

Introduction to French literary theory
Valéry: Théorie poétique et esthétique
Sartre: Qu#est-ce que la littérature
Barthes: Critique et Vérité
Todorov: la notion de la littérature

Key texts in French Thought
Descartes: Discours de la Méthode
Rousseau: Discours sur l'inégalité
Bergson: Essai sur les données immédiates de la conscience
de Beauvoir: Le deuxième sexe

And some films

Luckily, we don't have to read all of each book, just certain chapters.
As you can see, they all have suitably lofty titles :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by piya21

My college sends them after results day apparently.
Original post by piya21

Me (History at Keble).
I'm kind of reading things I've found on another college's list for last year, and then a St Andrews reading list I found (my insurance). It fails, because the other college one isn't specific to Keble modules and stuff so it's not really ideal.
come on engineering peeps, join the facebook group.
Reply 2098
Original post by Hoose
other than storming through your reading lists (still haven't received one :frown:) what are you guys doing to occupy your time this summer? :smile:

Getting bored with my job. And having to serve condescending drunk people all the time is starting to try my patience.

On a happier note, I am going away to Paris and Berlin mid August :biggrin: which I'm getting pretty excited about!

(and I am still patiently awaiting the reading list...)
Original post by Hoose
other than storming through your reading lists (still haven't received one :frown:) what are you guys doing to occupy your time this summer? :smile:

I got a couple weeks of work, and I'm going to my dad's place for a few weeks, but my summer can mostly be summarised by reading (not just degree relevant :tongue:) and computer games (almost all not degree relevant)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending