The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else go to Brasenose today? I really liked the college and the law talk was very helpful :smile: Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to look around any of the other colleges!
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I just spammed the group... then promptly freaked out and deleted all the posts because it was showing up in my newsfeed... :/ idk
Reply 2542
Original post by punctuation
WHAT THE HAX. *shakes fist* Did you delete it? :redface:

I didn't delete it, I thought it was quite funny. :smile:

Well I just spammed the group... then promptly freaked out and deleted all the posts because it was showing up in my newsfeed... :/ idk

It shouldn't show up on your profile page to your friends :tongue:

Btw everyone, I'm sorry the group seems to require approval - as far as I can see the settings should just let anyone to join!
Original post by fluteflute
It shouldn't show up on your profile page to your friends :tongue:

Btw everyone, I'm sorry the group seems to require approval - as far as I can see the settings should just let anyone to join!

Yeah I'm just being very paranoid... on another note, deleted about 50 useless friends.

Now I only have 58 of my good friends or people I feel guilty for deleting (i.e. family friends).
Original post by The Great Mortimer
Oxford is rubbish compared to other unis.

61 people have bothered to rep this comment, either up or down... Why?!

Don't feed the trolls!

Also, offer-holder for 2011 entry here, crashing your party.
Merton woo! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2546
The history tutors today were so transparent that it put me off slightly, they literally don't care about the personal statement, getting an interview is completely based on the HAT. To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie.

I am now definitely going Wadham its truly awesome :biggrin: Worcester, Balliol and Univ all seem quite dull, although of those Balliol is the best, just because it has a giant Connect 4 set.
Yeah I'm just being very paranoid... on another note, deleted about 50 useless friends.

Now I only have 58 of my good friends or people I feel guilty for deleting (i.e. family friends).

I doesn't even show up on my page and I didn't hide it, so you're safe I guess :wink: But deleting some "friends" on facebook is a good idea, always wondered how some people have more than 500 friends because Robin Dunbar says it's not possible. And since he is an Oxford professor, he must be right!!! http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/books/how_many_friends.html
Original post by Denzer
The history tutors today were so transparent that it put me off slightly, they literally don't care about the personal statement, getting an interview is completely based on the HAT. To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie.

I am now definitely going Wadham its truly awesome :biggrin: Worcester, Balliol and Univ all seem quite dull, although of those Balliol is the best, just because it has a giant Connect 4 set.

Haha giant connect 4... :tongue: I think I'd prefer gaming systems, though I might be persuaded for giant chess... (i.e. people-sized) wizard's chess... :moon:

Ahem. Anyway. Wow. Good luck with your HAT then!
Original post by nightmare91
I doesn't even show up on my page and I didn't hide it, so you're safe I guess :wink: But deleting some "friends" on facebook is a good idea, always wondered how some people have more than 500 friends because Robin Dunbar says it's not possible. And since he is an Oxford professor, he must be right!!! http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/books/how_many_friends.html

Oh I've read about Dunbar's number but I guess I forgot he was an Oxonian. Yes of course. :wink:
Reply 2550
Haha giant connect 4... :tongue: I think I'd prefer gaming systems, though I might be persuaded for giant chess... (i.e. people-sized) wizard's chess... :moon:

Ahem. Anyway. Wow. Good luck with your HAT then!

Thanks, yeah I just got blank looks when I suggested wizards chess to the tutor, maths tutors are so boring...
Original post by Denzer
Thanks, yeah I just got blank looks when I suggested wizards chess to the tutor, maths tutors are so boring...

Psh! :rolleyes: Wizard's chess is amazing!

Oh and I hope... wherever I end up... they have a Dungeons & Dragons set. I've always wanted to play that game with my friends but no one I know personally has a set. At least, no one that wants to lend it out. :frown: So I've never played it! Ever!

I know, I'm an utter failure as a nerd. :cry:

Oh and I hope... wherever I end up... they have a Dungeons & Dragons set. I've always wanted to play that game with my friends but no one I know personally has a set. At least, no one that wants to lend it out. :frown: So I've never played it! Ever!

I share this aspiration! It's the stereotypical nerdy game and, though I consider myself at least part-nerd, I've never played it. Not that I'd know how...

It would have to be played in full attire though: cloaks etc :smile:

You both are so nerdy :tongue: I love it, so awesome! :biggrin:
Original post by LonelySoul193
I share this aspiration! It's the stereotypical nerdy game and, though I consider myself at least part-nerd, I've never played it. Not that I'd know how...

Mhm! If we get into Oxford, promise we'll hunt down politely ask a nerdier nerd who has D&D.

A guy I met mentioned he played D&D with his friends... I was so jealous >.>
Reply 2555
Original post by LonelySoul193

Apparently, they have a very active LARPing society at Oxford. =D
Reply 2556
Original post by Denzer
To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie.

10% je ne sais quoi.
Original post by candide
Apparently, they have a very active LARPing society at Oxford. =D

Ooh! I've never done a LARP but I've always wanted to as well. Unfortunately I suck at costuming/cosplay - I can't sew to save my life, and I'm just... bad at costumes. :/
Original post by such_a_lady
Hey Tess! I'm really sorry to hear you had a rubbish time :frown: I know what you mean about everyone just wanting to go to Oxford "because it's Oxford": with my course, they get halfway in then realise it's all literature and scamper away. I actually really enjoy it whenever I'm there, but maybe it's because I'm very very tough when it comes to snobby people. I know some people are quite sensitive to snobbiness, but luckily I tend to ignore it and eventually they see that I'm just as smart as them and I have just as much of a right to be there. You have to remember that half of these people are just trying to show off to everyone else. Everyone I've met- students, applicants, tutors- has been lovely, even if they started off by acting superior, once they saw my determination and passion, they quickly changed their minds. It might help that I have quite a posh voice, and even though I'm really not from an independent school (I've learnt to say that so as not to offend people) or even a grammar school, or from a family with a decent income, I can fake it till I make it. I wish I'd seen you :frown: a few of us met up and had a lovely few hours just talking and talking. Qwerty's right, most of these idiots get weeded out at interview, honestly.

aww it would have been ncie to meet up with some of you :/ I dunno maybe I was just put off by all the visiting private schools. i went to the cambridge open day today and felt a lot more like i deserved to be there but then again i didnt visit the colleges lol i dont know maybe if i get an interveiw ill be able to properly see the place and meet people and then make a good decision.
Original post by tgarrud
aww it would have been ncie to meet up with some of you :/ I dunno maybe I was just put off by all the visiting private schools. i went to the cambridge open day today and felt a lot more like i deserved to be there but then again i didnt visit the colleges lol i dont know maybe if i get an interveiw ill be able to properly see the place and meet people and then make a good decision.

WHAT! You went to Cambridge?! How dare you show your face here after that...

Haha joking. :tongue: That's odd though, as Cambridge is usually the one that's more 'posh' - at least, that's how it's perceived. As you said, you didn't visit the colleges - just like Oxford I'm sure Cambridge has very nice and not-nice colleges. Or at least college applicants.

By the way, we have a Facebook group now! Do join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxford2012entry

Latest

Trending

Trending