The Student Room Group

What is my ethnicity and my race?

I'm a bit confused. When it says on forms 'please tick which ethnicity you are' or whatever, my mum always told me to put White British. But I don't really think I am...

Ok family history lesson. Both my parents were born in England. I won't go into my dad's side because I don't see him anymore and don't know anything about him. My mum's side is very interesting.

Ok.

Me - born in England
Mum - born in England

Mum's Mum (my grandmother) - born in India
Mum's Mum's Mum (my great grandmother) - born in Iraq
Mum's Mum's Dad (my great grandfather) - born in India
Mum's Mum's Mum's Mum (my great great grandmother) - born in Yemen

Mum's Dad (my grandfather) - born in England
Mum's Dad's Dad (my great grandfather) - born in Poland
Mum's Dad's Mum (my great grandmother) - born in Russia (or Belarus possibly)

As for race, my complexion is white. I have pale skin, with very dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. My entire family (i.e. everyone mentioned above), including myself is/was Jewish.

Ethnicity and race wise, what does that make me?

Maybe I should save myself all the hassle and just put 'mixed' on those forms...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pic or your jewish.
Mixed - other.
Original post by melodie
pic or your jewish.

Does Jewish count as a race or an ethnicity? They don't ever put it on the ethnicity forms.
Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie

Just don't ask Mr Smurf since he don't even know his own race and nationality! :lol:
To be fair, where you are born doesn't really say anything about your race. If my mum gave birth to me while she was on holiday in Africa, that wouldn't suddenly make me black!

You might find it interesting to do a bit of genealogy and find out where your ancestry is.
Reply 6
Aborigine
Original post by screenager2004
To be fair, where you are born doesn't really say anything about your race. If my mum gave birth to me while she was on holiday in Africa, that wouldn't suddenly make me black!

You might find it interesting to do a bit of genealogy and find out where your ancestry is.

Oh I know, but then what is my race?

I'm guessing my ethnicity is just mixed.
Ronald McDonald.
I'd say White British, since you were born here and ethnicity usually applies to your parents and grandparents. Since the only non-British of those is your maternal grandmother (which reminds me, your Dad's side of the family counts too) so you could put "White British" or "mixed", completely depends on how you feel. Nobody checks anyway because it's deemed "racist" by this nanny state. My ancestors/relatives were Gypsy, English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh so I just put "White British" on forms because it's the closest thing.
Reply 10
Oh I know, but then what is my race?

I'm guessing my ethnicity is just mixed.

Not to be pedantic but technically speaking your race is homo sapiens sapiens. :biggrin:
Are all of your relatives White-caucasion looking, just born in random places?
I would just put White british like your mum says.
Reply 12
you race is your blood line really... but like on a form you basically base it on your appearance, if your a british citizen then say that your a white british person or what ever option it is exactly...
your mixed up
Original post by screenager2004

There's a difference between nationality and ethnicity/race. Nationality is the country you were born/ have been living in for however many years are necessary to get said country's passport, whereas ethnicity/race is your genetic makeup.
It's surprising how many people get this mixed up.
Reply 15
I'm the same, sort of. My mum's dad is South American and my mum's mum is Irish. My dads side is English/Italian, but I've always been told to put White - British, even though I'm naturally tanned with dark hair. :| Complete opposite...
Original post by Bonsai Cactus
There's a difference between nationality and ethnicity/race. Nationality is the country you were born/ have been living in for however many years are necessary to get said country's passport, whereas ethnicity/race is your genetic makeup.
It's surprising how many people get this mixed up.

I didn't mix that up. That's exactly what I said?
Reply 17
You're white British
Does Jewish count as a race or an ethnicity? They don't ever put it on the ethnicity forms.

Jewish counts as race I believe
Reply 19
put "other white"

I usually put other white even i'm not look like white ( my skin colour is same as spanish people) but my parents are white. I know that my grand grand grand mother was Iranian, but it doesn't matter now.

Latest

Trending

Trending