The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candide
Well, God willing we'll meet next September during Oxford freshers week!

Hmmm, I've been thinking of doing Experimental Psychology as it seems very scientific, and specializing in Cognition and Language Acquisition in 2nd and 3rd year. Only thing is I don't really like 'psychology'- I like brains and minds, and the processes behind cognition but not human behaviour etc which I'd be obliged to study. I have a summer to think (worry) it over anyway. xD

Orrrr maybe in interview period in December!! What's the success rate like for that?
Reply 2601
Original post by such_a_lady
Orrrr maybe in interview period in December!! What's the success rate like for that?

23.2%...

That or compsci and philosophy.

(I like cognition and computers and grammar and conlanging and chess and stuff: I'm a geek for logical processes!)
Original post by candide
Well, God willing we'll meet next September during Oxford freshers week!

Hmmm, I've been thinking of doing Experimental Psychology as it seems very scientific, and specializing in Cognition and Language Acquisition in 2nd and 3rd year. Only thing is I don't really like 'psychology'- I like brains and minds, and the processes behind cognition but not human behaviour etc which I'd be obliged to study. I have a summer to think (worry) it over anyway. xD

DO PSYCHOLOGY. WE CAN BE PSYCHOLOGY MATES AT ST JOHN'S TOGETHER <3 (or something - depends on your college choice XD)

In my personal interest I should be suggesting you to do otherwise as you would be a potential competitor for the few places offered... plus you're more likely to get in than I am. (Experimental psych and psych & phil. students compete with each other - you should read my visitor messages, someone who applied for exp. psych posted all about the interview! Apparently even though you're not taking phil. you would still have to do philosophy interview(s)!)

Don't worry, exp psych is very neuro/cog-sci. :smile: Less so than UCL or Bristol, but still, it puts the 'experimental' in experimental psych! Don't worry about that aspect... generally uni-level psych is not Freudian/behaviourist/social psych in nature. :tongue: If you're put off by that, you shouldn't be.

However, my selfish personal interest and my experience with your amazing skillz in this thread dictate that you MUST DO LINGUISTICS!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by candide
23.2%...

:no:

It's about 70% for shortlisting, and 17% success rate. :smile:

At least for psych & phil... though I'm quite sure they have the same stats.

ETA: straight from the horse's mouth...

psych & phil:

Intake: 23
Applications shortlisted for interview: 70.3%
Successful applications: 17.6%

exp psych:

Intake: 52
Applications shortlisted for interview: 69.8%
Successful applications: 23.2%

So you'll most likely be shortlisted for interview! :biggrin: Cya then?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Denzer
The history tutors today were so transparent.. that it put me off slightly, they literally don't care about the personal statement, getting an interview is completely based on the HAT. To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie..

According to the History Faculty Schools Liaison Officer (Dr. Andrea Hopkins):

"The GCSE result..only accounts for 10% of the overall calculation, you can easily make it up by a good HAT score, a good interview and good written work"
Original post by shoshin
According to the History Faculty Schools Liaison Officer (Dr. Andrea Hopkins):

"The GCSE result..only accounts for 10% of the overall calculation, you can easily make it up by a good HAT score, a good interview and good written work"

I personally wouldn't mind this applying for psychology... it gives you a leg up if your GCSEs aren't great; plus a HAT score is a better determining factor for whether you'll do well studying for history than getting an A* in... I dunno, physics?
Wow, I think that was the first time I've stayed up this late to write an essay not because it's due in tomorrow, but because I was genuinely enjoying it. It's nice to write about your passion for a change :smile:
Reply 2607
Original post by punctuation
DO PSYCHOLOGY. WE CAN BE PSYCHOLOGY MATES AT ST JOHN'S TOGETHER <3 (or something - depends on your college choice XD)

In my personal interest I should be suggesting you to do otherwise as you would be a potential competitor for the few places offered... plus you're more likely to get in than I am. (Experimental psych and psych & phil. students compete with each other - you should read my visitor messages, someone who applied for exp. psych posted all about the interview! Apparently even though you're not taking phil. you would still have to do philosophy interview(s)!)

Don't worry, exp psych is very neuro/cog-sci. :smile: Less so than UCL or Bristol, but still, it puts the 'experimental' in experimental psych! Don't worry about that aspect... generally uni-level psych is not Freudian/behaviourist/social psych in nature. :tongue: If you're put off by that, you shouldn't be.

However, my selfish personal interest and my experience with your amazing skillz in this thread dictate that you MUST DO LINGUISTICS!

I think I just might. =]

ha, linguistics is what I do for fun though! I learn languages and invent languages: its an addiction.

This guy, Mark Rosenfelder, is the towering example of an amateur linguist (scholar (and creator of) of languages, as opposed to a two for a penny polyglot)

http://www.zompist.com/virtuver.htm
Tremendous open day today, I have fallen in love with Trinity.

I felt rather self conscious wandering around in my suit though. :L
oooh linguistics!
at the Cambridge residential the Arts students had a lecture on linguistics and i stole all my friend's notes they got from it :tongue: (i had to go to the psychology lecture, me being a future sciences student :wink: )

Original post by candide
I think I just might. =]

ha, linguistics is what I do for fun though! I learn languages and invent languages: its an addiction.

This guy, Mark Rosenfelder, is the towering example of an amateur linguist (scholar (and creator of) of languages, as opposed to a two for a penny polyglot)

You invent languages?! You are obsessed! Care to give an example? :wink:
Original post by candide
I think I just might. =]

Do linguistics! It's your passion! YOU MUST!!!

Ahem... anyway.

I'm glad this thread is still looking rather lively.

Around 8pm EST this thread starts to die since it's 1am where you guys are... :frown: I get lonely after that. Well, mostly bored.
Reply 2611
Original post by manic_fuzz
oooh linguistics!
at the Cambridge residential the Arts students had a lecture on linguistics and i stole all my friend's notes they got from it :tongue: (i had to go to the psychology lecture, me being a future sciences student :wink: )

You invent languages?! You are obsessed! Care to give an example? :wink:

Well, the latest one I'm working on has tenseless verb forms. So verbs are just actions, and you specify 'time' at the start of all sentences/phrases. Its inspired by some Amazonian langauges which have tenses for last night, yesterday, last week etc - so I though why not just get rid of tense altogether, and indicate time as, well, just a time.

The other interesting feauture is getting rid of gender and dividing nouns into three meaningful categories. Things that actually do ****, and things that change. (and abstracts, which aren't important)... (inspired by Spanish estar/ser) So 'the woman' is a doable(!) noun but 'the kettle' isn't. The woman smiles, the kettle boils (its state changes, it doesnt 'do' anything).

Its horrendously nerdy but allows you to look into A)the pointlessness of tenses and B)the arbitary idea of the Noun and the things it 'does'...
It seems this year's thread is so much closer and obviously weirder than last year's. :lol:

I mean, we have a spreadsheet, a TSR group, a Facebook group, and a heated competition to out Cambridge in page numbers... all in the last 30 pages, I'd say. Plus by this number of pages I think last year's thread was in October or November. We're awesome. Oh, and everybody pretty much knows each other's names. :biggrin:

Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry ftw! :smile: I hope we all make it, wholeheartedly.
Mhm! If we get into Oxford, promise we'll hunt down politely ask a nerdier nerd who has D&D.

A guy I met mentioned he played D&D with his friends... I was so jealous >.>

Definitely, they can teach us and we shall master it. After all, if we are going to do it, we will do it well! :biggrin:
Haha I actually haven't met ANYONE that has admitted playing D&D before.... :frown:
Original post by candide
Apparently, they have a very active LARPing society at Oxford. =D

*SQUEAL*
........oh, oh no, I'm far too cool for that.... *flicks hair*
Original post by LonelySoul193
Definitely, they can teach us and we shall master it. After all, if we are going to do it, we will do it well! :biggrin:
Haha I actually haven't met ANYONE that has admitted playing D&amp;D before.... :frown:

Really? I know handfuls of people who do so, but they never seem to be able to invite me along... D: I'd probably feel very inferior though. :/

I also knows LOADS of people on the internet who play it. >.>

What are you applying for/what college? :biggrin:

ETA: You're not on the spreadsheet!!! What madness is this?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=0

Add yourself at once!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ocassus
Tremendous open day today, I have fallen in love with Trinity.

I felt rather self conscious wandering around in my suit though. :L

Apply apply apply apply :P

You won't regret it!
talking about the FB group, thanks for making it fluteflute!
I'm pretty sure that our friends cannot know what groups we are in, so you're safe :smile:

I actually thought you guys knew each other's names! I'm very new here so I might be unknown but I thought you guys were that close! I belong to another forum in which I'm a VIP member, and most of the VIP and mods there know each other's names and even are friends on FB :P it's quite surprising :P

Original post by Denzer
To get an offer its 30% HAT 30% interview and 30% GCSEs, stupidly I forgot what the other 10 is but it still really shows where their priorities lie.

10% personal statement, I guess? although they said it's not important :/

It seems this year's thread is so much closer and obviously weirder than last year's. :lol:

I mean, we have a spreadsheet, a TSR group, a Facebook group, and a heated competition to out Cambridge in page numbers... all in the last 30 pages, I'd say. Plus by this number of pages I think last year's thread was in October or November. We're awesome. Oh, and everybody pretty much knows each other's names. :biggrin:

Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry ftw! :smile: I hope we all make it, wholeheartedly.

FTW! I hope so! good luck to you all and see you next year! :biggrin:
Hi everyone!

I am wondering if there's anyone who takes PPE at Oxford, and who could give me their opinion of what the course is like. I would also be most glad to receive advice as to what colleges are preferable for a PPE student and what the interview for the course is like.

Thanks!
Reply 2619
Original post by desy.kris

10% personal statement, I guess? although they said it's not important :/

FTW! I hope so! good luck to you all and see you next year! :biggrin:

Yeah shoshin got it right, 10% is GCSEs and 30% is the submitted written work, and 0% personal statement so thats awesome.
Do you want to do History?

Latest

Trending

Trending