The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
You would make this country partially developed.

EDIT:What would happen when the child reaches 11 Starvation?

Firstly, Hi again.

No, the mother could then work herself. The child would be at school and old enough to know wrong and right and also old enough to use a mobile to stay in contact.
Original post by Tommyjw
This is quite frankly one of the most disgusting things i have ever read.

My mother is single, thus you assume she is stupid? My mother is a very, very intelligent person who has managed to land a job that would equate to ~47k a year. (I say this as she fosters and has a disability so doesn't work full hours). She had incredibly high grades while she was younger and her 'test' for her job landed her in the top 10- people who ever took it at that (very large) company.

Why would a single mother be automatically be deemed stupid?

I'm sure my dad didnt just go 'oh, she's stupid, bye bye'. ¬_¬

If anything i respect the intelligence, decisions and views of single mothers more than others.

glad to see the law on that has changed wasnt aware like but this is good my nan tried to foster like 10 years ago and apperently couldn't being a single parent at the time (my auntie was 14 i have a young family XD)
Original post by Tommyjw
This is quite frankly one of the most disgusting things i have ever read.

My mother is single, thus you assume she is stupid? My mother is a very, very intelligent person who has managed to land a job that would equate to ~47k a year. (I say this as she fosters and has a disability so doesn't work full hours). She had incredibly high grades while she was younger and her 'test' for her job landed her in the top 10- people who ever took it at that (very large) company.

Why would a single mother be automatically be deemed stupid?

I'm sure my dad didnt just go 'oh, she's stupid, bye bye'. ¬_¬

If anything i respect the intelligence, decisions and views of single mothers more than others.

USUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my damn post!
Original post by Sagacious

Firstly, Hi again.

No, the mother could then work herself. The child would be at school and old enough to know wrong and right and also old enough to use a mobile to stay in contact.

What if she couldn't get a job it's not as if people are struggling now and adding 2 million to the urgent job pile won't help.
Reply 24
USUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my damn post!

I 'read your damn post'
How about you learn what a word means.

Yes, usually defines that it is a reasonable assumption based on probabilities to say that 'x's single mother is stupid' Which is ridiculous.

Usually - Ordinary or commonly.

Thus it is ordinary for single mothers to be stupid??

Tell me, please, where you are getting this view from. I'd like some statistics or anything to back up this extremely offensive view.
What if she couldn't get a job it's not as if people are struggling now and adding 2 million to the urgent job pile won't help.

There are jobs, if you look hard enough. I don't care what anyone says. James Caan agrees with me.

Also, set up your own business? Who says you need a job? Seriously, the British are so narrow minded and quit at the first hurdle. You can even work from home; via internet and this would mean you could look after the child too. But no! Us stupid Brits would rather moan and cry about not being able to find a job. Idiots!

There are jobs, if you look hard enough. I don't care what anyone says. James Caan agrees with me.

Also, set up your own business? Who says you need a job? Seriously, the British are so narrow minded and quit at the first hurdle. You can even work from home; via internet and this would mean you could look after the child too. But no! Us stupid Brits would rather moan and cry about not being able to find a job. Idiots!

My mam can't work computer and what if they are stupid it's not her fault and opening bussiness requires exceptional intelligence.
Original post by Tommyjw
I 'read your damn post'
How about you learn what a word means.

Yes, usually defines that it is a reasonable assumption based on probabilities to say that 'x's single mother is stupid' Which is ridiculous.

Usually - Ordinary or commonly.

Thus it is ordinary for single mothers to be stupid??

Tell me, please, where you are getting this view from. I'd like some statistics or anything to back up this extremely offensive view.

Usually doesn't mean all. Enough said.

But Single Mothers aren't usually stupid this is offensive against them they are just the same as the rest of us with very little difference.Some single mothers are stupid is the corect use.
Reply 29

'Set up your own business' is amongst the most unintelligent things a person can say when discussing this. It really is.

You are ignoring the vast amount of work it takes to set up a business to the level of providing an income that you can live off of. I can't be assed to go in to detail about saturated markets, marketing, research, proportion of new businesses that fail etc as it is all generic stuff.

So yes, you are welcome to go tell the 2 million + to all set up a business and see how that works out for you.
My mam can't work computer and what if she was stupid it's not her fault

Then learn how to!!!!!!! Omg!!!! Buy a book, they cost what, £5?? Read the damn thing and learn!!! Do you think Scientists say 'Oh no, we don't know about the expansion of the universe, lets cry about it', No they learn. Again, shows how the British collapse at the first hurdle.

Then who's fault is it? The tooth fairy? The cat next door? The tree down the street? No, it's your own damn fault! I don't blame my teacher when I sometimes fall short of my expected grade in tests, I blame myself. It's my own fault I didn't learn the thing.

People are always looking for someone else to blame. Why not accept your a dodo and do something about it? Or would that involve work? Oh never mind then. Lets all cry about it.
Reply 31

Never said it did.

Usually means the majority.

Which is wrong.

Go take your unintelligent and wrong view somewhere else.

As you said. 'Enough said'.
Original post by Tommyjw
Never said it did.

Usually means the majority.

Which is wrong.

Go take your unintelligent and wrong view somewhere else.

As you said. 'Enough said'.

So why make silly assumptions that I included your mother within that?
So why make silly assumptions that I included your mother within that?

Seriously dude, you're wrong. I would be backing up Tommy here, but I'm playing a game and drinking a lucozade so I can't be asked...

give up lmao
Reply 34
The things is, not everyone is like your mum. The majority of people on benefits abuse the system. Yes, I bet 85% are 'Benefit Abusers'.

I personally think we should take the benefits off these 85% and use the money on Science/Paying off debts.

A good example of 'Benefit Abusers' was when EMA was around. People would go into college just to collect EMA (If you needed 60% attendance, people would work out that once they've done 60%, they can have a few weeks off). Also, EMA should have been used for educational purposes, instead the stupid Chavs went into town and bought junk that they don't need.

The only people who should get benefits;

Disabled people who are unable to work.
Single mothers who have to raise children under the age of 10. (Usually the mothers are stupid, but the child shouldn't suffer).

It would make this country work hard again. It's not that long ago that we was a world leading country. Now we're lazy and stupid; China aren't.

How do you know that the majority of those on benefits abuse the system? Do you have some sort of quantitive data to back this up, perhaps supported as well by standardised qualitive information, or do you simply follow tabloid rhetoric and back it up with some percentage that has been pulled out of your ass?

How do you know that people abused EMA? Again relying on baseless stereotypes are we? Indeed I too knew people that would use EMA to pay for a night at cheapskates or to get an 8th on fridays, but there were also a lot of people who used it to buy books to help them study their topics further, but outside the syllabus. If a bunch of people were drowning in a river, would you also refuse to throw them floating aids just because a few were likely to never return them?

Your "extensive" criteria of those whom you feel should deserve government provisions somehow manages to forget the plight of the old and therefore incapacitated on their pension who cannot afford heat in the winter. Shall we leave them to die? What about the single mother raising a family that is over 10 but who has fallen seriously ill? I could go on. And again, in your short critique of single mothers, you conveniently forget that some single mothers are so because their spouse has died or indeed left them despite making overtures that suggest long term commitment.

What exactly do you suggest to make this country "work hard again"? Should we have 12 year olds back working 10 hour shifts down the mines with only half a sunday off? Or maybe you suggest relaunching the work house and subjecting those unable to pay bills to be sucking the marrow of the bones they are forced to crush merely to get some source of food? China has surpassed us economically because they have a labour workforce at their disposal numbering in the hundreds of millions and not because Britain has become lazy due to the welfare state. Germany at the beginning of the 19th century was one of the biggest rising economic and industrial powers in the world yet they also had one of the most developed welfare systems.

In short, I again accuse you of merely basking in ignorance and rhetoric to find a "solution" to something that you think is a problem.

Original post by screenager2004

So your mum only gets £80 from working 35 hours? She gets paid £2.21 an hour?
Minimum wage is £5.93. Your mum would get AT LEAST £207.55 a week. Double what she scrounges by on benefits.
She wouldn't be with her kids anyway because they'd be at school - plus kids that age want to hang out with friends or have some independence. Not be smothered like a toddler.
A 13 year old can feed itself.
Working is better for your self esteem and circulation

I agree with the first part of your post. I was left at home from the age of 11 until 6 o'clock. However, may I ask how a 13 year old in full time education is expected to feed itself? I doubt even a paper round which is probably the main job open to someone of that age, would net someone enough to feed themselves.
Original post by Tommyjw
'Set up your own business' is amongst the most unintelligent things a person can say when discussing this. It really is.

You are ignoring the vast amount of work it takes to set up a business to the level of providing an income that you can live off of. I can't be assed to go in to detail about saturated markets, marketing, research, proportion of new businesses that fail etc as it is all generic stuff.

So yes, you are welcome to go tell the 2 million + to all set up a business and see how that works out for you.

It's better to try and fail than to fail altogether.
Reply 36

lol, you chat fantasy and then act as if it is reality. how old are you, 8?
Original post by adam_zed
What exactly do you suggest to make this country "work hard again"? Should we have 12 year olds back working 10 hour shifts down the mines with only half a sunday off? Or maybe you suggest relaunching the work house and subjecting those unable to pay bills to be sucking the marrow of the bones they are forced to crush merely to get some source of food? China has surpassed us economically because they have a labour workforce at their disposal numbering in the hundreds of millions and not because Britain has become lazy due to the welfare state. Germany at the beginning of the 19th century was one of the biggest rising economic and industrial powers in the world yet they also had one of the most developed welfare systems.

Why on earth are you twisting my words? I've never said I want kids working down the mine? If I have then I will apologise. Find me the quote.

But it's fact, Britain has become lazy. We let China/India do most of the work.

Lmaooo

Bitch be reading to much

" Earn $5000 in 10 mins, all from HOME, no labour involved... sign up NOW " LOL

No i'm the square root of -1, what about you?

Latest