The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Taxi Driver to win Movie Madness. :pierre:
Hello all,

back from my epic holiday adventure straight into unemployment. Oh the joys of graduating! My student card doesn't expire until the end of this month though so I feel a trip to the cinema is in order while it's still relatively cheap. Any thoughts on Bridesmaids? Or anything else you guys would recommend? I've no idea what's been going on with film during the past month.

Will make some predictions for Movie Madness during this weekend as well.
Original post by Madjackismad
Taxi Driver to win Movie Madness. :pierre:

The Godfather Part II :colonhash:

Since none of my top 3 films are in the list... I have to go for my man De Niro here.
Original post by elisabethbridge
Hello all,

back from my epic holiday adventure straight into unemployment. Oh the joys of graduating! My student card doesn't expire until the end of this month though so I feel a trip to the cinema is in order while it's still relatively cheap. Any thoughts on Bridesmaids? Or anything else you guys would recommend? I've no idea what's been going on with film during the past month.

Will make some predictions for Movie Madness during this weekend as well.

Go see The Tree Of Life which is out today.

I wanna see it so bad :frown:
Apropo of nothing:
Superhero film wise I really enjoyed First Class (For a number of reasons: it felt more like a spy movie, which to me makes it much better than your average superhero one and MacAvoy and Fassbender are fantastic), and I'm really hoping that Captain America lives up to expectations. I love the '40s setting which looks great and sets it apart from the dozens of contemporary set comic-book mives around. Also I just found out it's directed by the guy that directed one of the most underrated superhero films ever (The Rocketeer) and he's it has a 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' feel, but on the other hand there's the CGIed 'weak' Chris Evans in the trailers that seems to be from downtown Uncanny Valley so we'll see I guess...
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
The Godfather Part II :colonhash:

Since none of my top 3 films are in the list... I have to go for my man De Niro here.

Well, he's better in Taxi Driver. :colonhash:
Well, he's better in Taxi Driver. :colonhash:

Doesn't make it necessarily a better film. :colonhash:
Doesn't make it necessarily a better film. :colonhash:

It is a better film though. The Godfather Part II is great, one of my favourites, but Taxi Driver is just so much better. My opinion of course.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
What a fool. And you know what, I'm glad. He would have ruined both those films.

Harrison Ford also called him a ****ing idiot for his comments about Indy 4.

I say good on Harrison for that - admittedly I'm one of the few who don't thoroughly hate Crystal Skull but Shia was very obviously trying to score some easy credibility with his detractors by agreeing with them. Even if he did think it was terrible, as Ford said it's an actors duty to sell the film they're in, whatever their personal feelings. To be honest, that's one thing I respect Nic Cage for - he's been in (more often than not) some pretty bad films, but he will never outright state that they were terrible.
It is a better film though. The Godfather Part II is great, one of my favourites, but Taxi Driver is just so much better. My opinion of course.

Yeah each to their own lol :smile:
I do love Taxi Driver (saw it on re-release a few weeks ago :love:) but ... well I don't really need to finish that sentence lol.

I still think his best performance (and best film) is Once Upon A Time In America ><
Original post by elisabethbridge
Any thoughts on Bridesmaids? Or anything else you guys would recommend? I've no idea what's been going on with film during the past month.

I watched Bridesmaids the other day and it was surprisingly good. There were some laugh out loud moments and the story was interesting enough. If you want to laugh then you should go and watch it.
Go see The Tree Of Life which is out today.

I wanna see it so bad :frown:

Oo, good shout. I completely forgot it was out! :facepalm:
If I had my way, Once Upon A Time In The West would win Movie Madness :daydreaming:

It won't, though. I doubt most people have even seen it :sigh:
You've just given me a dose of nostalgia. Used to make forums 3-4 years ago/when I was like 15 :facepalm2:. Ah the joy of creating one and then the conclusion in an exhausting, uphill and ultimately depressing struggle. The best of luck. :tongue:

Feedback wise: you need to opt for a better theme and perhaps a fewer forums. Too many forums spread out is not good for initial activity. You should also consider promoting it in some form by recommending it to friends, getting on Tumblr, submitting to blog directories and taking part in link exchanges/affiliates. Picking forum hosting by a company like Proboards, freeforums.org would have been a superior choice since it has phpbb3.

Best of luck, man!

Thanks! It is on Proboards so I'm confused now lol. I've got rid of some of the forums and am about to look at the theme, thanks for the tips!

Strike that... I'm making it on freeforums now, thanks :smile:

EDIT: And here it is! aja sorry, could you pleeeease join this one instead now? I promise I'll give you perks lol
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm usually okay to let people suggest crap films without stepping in but when someone suggests 'Meet the Spartans' as a good comedy film I just can't sit by and not comment.
Any fans of Knowing? I hear a lot of criticism against Cage (in general) and Knowing, but I thought it was a good film, if a tad depressing.
Reply 3256
Original post by ChessMister
Any fans of Knowing? I hear a lot of criticism against Cage (in general) and Knowing, but I thought it was a good film, if a tad depressing.

That about sums it up for me.

It was a ridiculous premise with an even worse execution. The highlight was the two of us guys picking holes in it and laughing at its ridiculousness in a near-enough running commentary, much to the annoyance of the girl we watched it with.
Suitable send off? I'm a fairly big fan of Harry Potter, the books were a big part in my younger years and I enjoyed the first part so it will probably be great to me.

I guess that depends on what you want out of it. I am a massive fan of the books, and to me the final book was the finishing point for it. I've never really been a fan of the films (apart from the first when I went to a special screening dressed as a wizard, because I was cool like that), so I wasn't really expecting closure. It's quite nice to see them utterly destroy Hogwarts, but apart from that it all felt a little flat to me. Although they at least managed to tighten up the godawful epilogue a little.

And how did you get to see it early? Were you at the premier? :p:

Ha, I wish. I was just at one a few screenings that were held at the same time as the premiere. I have never seen such security for a film - we're talking bag searches, two guestlists that I had to be checked against, ID checks (and they didn't even laugh when I said I was embarrassed to be IDed for a 12 certificate :shifty:), people checking your phone was switched off, tens of staff around, guards with nightvision goggles on throughout the film...

Where he has to make the choice between the Hallows and Horcruxes? But to be fair, even in Part 1, it was never really played up much. All of the focus was on the wand and how Voldemort was looking for it. There was no other real discussion or speculation about the hallows apart from the short story. In the book, he has a real moment where he becomes invested in the hallows and forgets about the horcruxes - and then later that decision to choose is a real turning point.

I have no problem if the director takes the decision to cut that part out (even if it just makes the walk through the forest an incredibly odd thing), but my issue is that if you cut it out then you shouldn't still leave the crucial scenes in just devoid of all their weight. The same thing happens with the wand at the end of the film - none of the real ownership is touched on until we get this awkward expository dump after the fact, which just ends up feeling a little lame.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on Snape's memories and the Harry-Voldemort final battle changes and how well that worked out.

Snape's reveal is my favourite moment from all of the books, so naturally it was never going to live up to my expectations. It's not terrible, but my criticisms of it are the same as for the film - it's far too brief so unless you knew what it was supposed to be showing it would be utterly incomprehensible, and it feels like they're just rushing through the story stuff to get back to explosions.

The final battle changes again fall in line with my criticism of the film. The overarching feeling from the film (except for one excellent scene) is that things are boring unless there's a lot of action going on. So rather than Voldemort and Harry's chilling final encounter we get treated to a sequence of them flying over the castle that looked so much like a rollercoaster ride that if I were a more cynical man I'd suggest the theme park people asked for it to be included.
Reply 3258
Just watched Centurion. A good survival and cat-and-mouse film, with a well-researched Roman backdrop.

It was also a good twist on the Ninth Legion story; particularly the ending.
Original post by ChessMister

Ending (well, second half) ruined it - the introduction of aliens etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending