The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So what does everyone think is 'easier' to get into, Oxford or Cambridge ? MAT or STEP ?
Reply 641
Original post by maths134
So what does everyone think is 'easier' to get into, Oxford or Cambridge ? MAT or STEP ?

oxford is easier! im applying to cambridge since i want the best course...which is the TRIPOS for maths :biggrin:
Any help needed when applying to study Mathematics at university then feel free to ask.
Original post by RamsFanNo1
Any help needed when applying to study Mathematics at university then feel free to ask.

Hey,
Did you do any work experience, further reading etc...? :smile:
Original post by RamsFanNo1

What sort of stuff did you write about in the personal statement?
Why do people keep saying Cambridge is harder to get into than Oxford? Furthermore, Oxford's a-level requirements are going to be A*A*A compared to Cam's A*AA so surely there is an argument to say that Ox is harder than Cam?
Original post by ben-smith

Why do people keep saying Cambridge is harder to get into than Oxford? Furthermore, Oxford's a-level requirements are going to be A*A*A compared to Cam's A*AA so surely there is an argument to say that Ox is harder than Cam?

Do you know about STEP?
Original post by jameswhughes
Do you know about STEP?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32635345
Have a look at the solutions to STEP II Q13 and STEP III Q12
There's more where that came from

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32635345
Have a look at the solutions to STEP II Q13 and STEP III Q12
There's more where that came from

Then surely you know that STEP is far harder than regular A-Levels, and that it's required for Cambridge whereas Oxford only make offers using A-Levels...
Original post by jameswhughes
Then surely you know that STEP is far harder than regular A-Levels, and that it's required for Cambridge whereas Oxford only make offers using A-Levels...

Sure, the individual questions are harder but that just means fewer questions need to be answered. You could also argue that because the MAT has "easier" questions then your competitors will score higher as well, putting a greater emphasis on speed and reliability. It is all going to average out in the end.
If we were to take myself as an example, I am confident in saying that if I were to do a mental arithmetic speed test and a STEP III paper, I would perform significantly better in the STEP III exam, relative to my peers, than in the former. But that's just me. Just because the individual questions are easier does not necessarily mean it is easier to do well in a competitive scenario.
Furthermore, I think we have a misunderstanding here. I was referring to "getting in" i.e getting offer+ meeting offer, not just the meeting offer part and I think it has been well established that Ox. is harder to get an offer from than Cam.
Sorry for any confusion.
(edited 12 years ago)

Sure, the individual questions are harder but that just means fewer questions need to be answered. You could also argue that because the MAT has "easier" questions then your competitors will score higher as well, putting a greater emphasis on speed and reliability. It is all going to average out in the end.
If we were to take myself as an example, I am confident in saying that if I were to do a mental arithmetic speed test and a STEP III paper, I would perform significantly better in the STEP III exam, relative to my peers, than in the former. But that's just me. Just because the individual questions are easier does not necessarily mean it is easier to do well in a competitive scenario.
Furthermore, I think we have a misunderstanding here. I was referring to "getting in" i.e getting offer+ meeting offer, not just the meeting offer part and I think it has been well established that Ox. is harder to get an offer from than Cam.
Sorry for any confusion.

Oh right, yes I see what you mean now :yep:

Apparently it's easier to get an offer from Cambridge because Oxford have the pre-offer test (MAT) but it's easier to meet your offer for Oxford because you don't need STEP whereas Cambridge requires that. So really I think they are both just as hard as each other? I guess it depends if you are better at MAT or STEP...

By the way, I know someone posted a good list of books before hand but I can't find it. Does anyone have any books that the would really recommend? Any books which have problems in them that you can do as well would be great. Thanks =) (Oh and any good books loosely related to geometry related subjects).
Reply 652
Rahul.S
oxford is easier! im applying to cambridge since i want the best course...which is the TRIPOS for maths

Original post by Rahul.S
looooooooool at the last part.....well ive been to cambridge...gone to maths lectures for a week....even the professeurs say there oxford and cambridge are pretty much the same....they wont admit oxford is better.....they said cambridge is mainly prestigous in maths due to its history....all the names u mention seem quite some time....we live now....and judging from wt ive seen...both uni's are top notch....but im terms of course, flexibility, style of teaching etc. oxford (no brookes) seems better

Why the drastic change? (Just asking as someone who is yet to decide...)
Original post by laughylolly
Apparently it's easier to get an offer from Cambridge because Oxford have the pre-offer test (MAT) but it's easier to meet your offer for Oxford because you don't need STEP whereas Cambridge requires that. So really I think they are both just as hard as each other? I guess it depends if you are better at MAT or STEP...

My point exactly
My point exactly

I'm just repeating something that I remember someone saying ages ago on a oxbridge / maths related thread.

Personally (if I get the higher's I need) I'm going to apply to oxford. I just feel that I would be more comfortable doing MAT. But in no way you should pick a university because it's easier to get into. Choose the one that you think is going to suit you better for those 3 or 4 years you are going to be there, not the three or so hours you spend taking an exam to get in.

The difference is just an A* or an A in further maths, i.e. nothing
Original post by Pheylan
Fascists

It's fascism

Spoiler

Reply 657
Sorry for any confusion.

About STEP, what modules would you recommend for someone looking to tackle the applied questions (as I see this is what you are especially good at...)? What modules have you learnt so far to tackle them? For me, it is the opposite: having only done m1/s1, I have not looked ANY applied questions, except an easy mech or a combinatorics questions (where you can just "make up" a method as you go along...). In contrast for the pure qs, I just learnt the techniques/content from a a-level book, then dived into the step qs without much a-level qs practice, and it was not too bad. e.g. for binomial series, you could do all the relevant qs without studying it at all, just from the formula book:biggrin:.

Because of the negligance of the applied qs (and stupid exam pressure/panic), I think I might miss the 1 in STEP I this year...:frown:.
Original post by dnumberwang
The difference is just an A* or an A in further maths, i.e. nothing

That part was not a serious point. See my post a few back for what I meant.
We did STEP questions at a maths course I went to this week. They kinda made me want to kill myself, but when I got them I felt so good ahah. They are evil though because a lot of them start of nice and simple and then the next second they are just so so hard. I don't know if they are harder for me because I've done Higher maths not AS level, I just hope I'll be more confident with STEP in a years time.

Latest