The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jesus christ. I wouldn't give my parents something like that. There is just no need for all that power
Original post by wizard710

Jesus christ. I wouldn't give my parents something like that. There is just no need for all that power

I know, I told them they'd get ripped off by a salesperson if they went into a high street store. Apparently a dual core processor isn't enough for standard use anymore :\
Well checking e-mails online can be a intense business. I hear plain text isn't enough for some people and they use this new fangled thing called formatting. There have even been rumours of images as 'attachments', but that seems a bit farfetched.

Just in case though, I think a good rule of thumb is 100MB of RAM for each unread e-mail in your inbox, and when buying a processor make sure the number after the 'i' is the maximum number of e-mails you send in a day.

I just hope they weren't hoping to use the internet for general browsing - the current computer is woefully underpowered for that. They would need a graphics card costing at least £200 and probably a couple of external hard drives. After all, you need lots of room for your internet cache and those 'flash' things will really put your computer through its paces. 1GB of disk space per domain visited per month seems reasonable.

People just don't realise the requirements for computers these days :shakecane:
Original post by Chrosson

Well checking e-mails online can be a intense business. I hear plain text isn't enough for some people and they use this new fangled thing called formatting. There have even been rumours of images as 'attachments', but that seems a bit farfetched.

Just in case though, I think a good rule of thumb is 100MB of RAM for each unread e-mail in your inbox, and when buying a processor make sure the number after the 'i' is the maximum number of e-mails you send in a day.

I just hope they weren't hoping to use the internet for general browsing - the current computer is woefully underpowered for that. They would need a graphics card costing at least £200 and probably a couple of external hard drives. After all, you need lots of room for your internet cache and those 'flash' things will really put your computer through its paces. 1GB of disk space per domain visited per month seems reasonable.

Oh don't worry, the one he sold them has a dedicated graphics card too!
Reply 9324
This is why I'm thankful my dad is a Telecoms engineer. He's the one sorting my grandparents out. Also, he's got a nouse for technical issues, so is a useful backboard for an technical problems. :biggrin:
Has anybody seen Nokia's new advert?

:lolwut:
Is that for real? :nothing:
Original post by secretmessages

Original post by secretmessages
Is that for real? :nothing:

I had to double check it was Nokia's actual YouTube account to be sure, so unfortunately it is. I'll love Nokia forever and ever for gifting us with the 3310, but I don't think they will want this advert to be thing they get remembered for :\
Not a phone advert surely. Nokia have entered the doll and accessory business.
Reply 9329

I know you were joking, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I got sent a 100MB email signature one day. Some signatures I get take up more than an A4 sheet. :/
Original post by Dez
I know you were joking, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I got sent a 100MB email signature one day. Some signatures I get take up more than an A4 sheet. :/

I know! It's stunning the number of people who have legally privileged e-mails these days and will come and incinerate your computer if you don't delete them if you receive them by mistake :rolleyes:
You guys really need to check out the PC World clearance sale!

It's the deal of the century!!!1!
:lol: PC World. Words just cannot describe.
I've ordered 3

I've ordered 3

Capitalising on the savings I see? You can almost buy yourself a Freddo with that kind of discount.
Almost doesn't come close in this day and age. They've raised the price of a Freddo to 17p. :colonhash:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Almost doesn't come close in this day and age. They've raised the price of a Freddo to 17p. :colonhash:

D=

A little piece of me died inside just now. Last time I bought one it was 10p!
Reply 9337
Have you guys seen the new Sony VAIO E series? They're really quite nice tbh, Even if you can only get up to i5 cores.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series
Reply 9338
Original post by G8D
I love Vaios (on the previous E atm) but I think it's a bit rubbish that they've dropped, at least currently) the 15" 1920x1080 screen. It's one of the things that drew me to this Vaio in the fist place.

I've never had one myself, I'm considering buying myself one in September, instead of a Macbook Pro. not sure yet.
Reply 9339
Original post by G8D
I thoroughly recommend Vaios, excellent machines.
I'd hold out for the 15" 1080p screen because it is lush.

Any chance there is a model with anti glare? One thing I hate about laptop screens..

Latest

Trending

Trending