The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by piya21
Anybody who hasn't received their reading lists yet..? :s-smilie:

Still waiting on my one for history. I'm on edge waiting for it, I've replied to Professor Brockliss, and he asked me for my address so now I'm worried that it's been lost in the post. Worries are made worse since I never got a letter from them in April.

I got my Tocqueville today, though. Exciting.
Reply 2101
People who are eligible for the Opportunity Bursary, does it appear on Student Finance under grants?
Original post by Noble.
People who are eligible for the Opportunity Bursary, does it appear on Student Finance under grants?

I reckon not; it doesn't appear on my breakdown, which came through yesterday :smile: According to Oxford 'Once the University has received the data we will send a letter to you; the first letters will be sent in September'.
Original post by Noble.

Mine hasn't :frown: I wonder when they'll let us know.
Reply 2104
Original post by shoshin
I reckon not; it doesn't appear on my breakdown, which came through yesterday :smile: According to Oxford 'Once the University has received the data we will send a letter to you; the first letters will be sent in September'.

Original post by soutioirsim
Mine hasn't :frown: I wonder when they'll let us know.

I thought as much, just wanted to double check because of how much it is :lol:
Reply 2105
Original post by -mai-
On a happier note, I am going away to Paris and Berlin mid August :biggrin: which I'm getting pretty excited about!

Berlin is awesome, I'm here 'till the end of September. :cool:
Original post by Frankie
I know, I may be dreading results day but I still wish it would hurry up just so I know what I'm going to be doing next year :tongue: I went to the open day yesterday and asked one of the students about textbooks and she said she just borrowed all of the books she needed in 1st year from the college library and the science library :smile: That should be slightly nicer on our purse strings! I've just got Genome in the post, not sure if its exactly holiday reading but I'm going to take it on holiday to Greece and read it anyway :tongue:

Ooooh Greece will be lovely. Genome will be good, it's not too heavy apart from occasionally but it's quite easy to read only small bits at a time without losing the train of thought. Hope you enjoy it :redface:

I've heard the libraries are good for textbooks which is definitely a positive thing, plus having college libraries means it's more accessible. I quite like studying in libraries too (bit geeky I know...) I keep trying to forget about results day because it's too far away and there's nothing I can do about it, but then I keep coming on here and get dragged back into it.

Enjoy your holiday, I'm sure you deserve it.
Original post by Noble.

You get it later in a separate letter (or at least that is what happened last year)
Reply 2108
Original post by pinstriped.flower
You get it later in a separate letter (or at least that is what happened last year)

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Haha, reading a text a day does in no way mean I have understood the text in any depth :biggrin: I just want to get familiar with the language and plots and then it'll hopefully make my recap reading a bit better. And I have been focusing on the short texts - once I get to the meatier ones I will slow down considerably (I took ages with Les Liaisons Dangereuses)

I have got English translations for the crazier texts :smile:

Luckily, we don't have to read all of each book, just certain chapters.
As you can see, they all have suitably lofty titles :biggrin:

That's a relief :biggrin: We sadly do have to read the whole thing of your philosophy and thought texts, which is a bit of a pain when it all makes no sense, but it's alright. I've just got to suck it up! And you inspired me to read a whole Brecht play yesterday. It's not saying much, seeing as the play was about 40 pages long...

I'm actually procrastinating as I write this so I should just wrap it up, really, and get back to Kant.
Does anybody know when we get any information regarding accommodation or finances? I got my reading list 15 months ago and haven't had a peep out of them since.
Reply 2111
Original post by barefootfiona
Does anybody know when we get any information regarding accommodation or finances? I got my reading list 15 months ago and haven't had a peep out of them since.

I assume it'll be after results given we've not had anything so far.

Oh, have you joined the Exon. College group on Facebook, Fiona?
Reply 2112
Original post by Hoose
other than storming through your reading lists (still haven't received one :frown:) what are you guys doing to occupy your time this summer? :smile:

PC games basically - pity that nothing good ever comes out in summer (I should probs take a hint....). :redface: If similarly sad people care, I'm mainly playing minecraft and TF2 (anyone else got a Steam account?). I'll be spending a while walking up in Scotland with the gf later on in the hols though, and might pop down to Oxford/London as a reminder of civilisation. :smile:

Spoke to a guy from my school who did geography at Oxford last year, and he got his book list in September. Sigh....
Original post by Lucius
PC games basically - pity that nothing good ever comes out in summer (I should probs take a hint....). :redface: If similarly sad people care, I'm mainly playing minecraft and TF2 (anyone else got a Steam account?). I'll be spending a while walking up in Scotland with the gf later on in the hols though, and might pop down to Oxford/London as a reminder of civilisation. :smile:

Hey, I'm playing myriad PC games (have you bought anything in the Steam summer sale?) and will probably go walking in Scotland in September! We have so much in common!
Reply 2114
Original post by LtCommanderData
Hey, I'm playing myriad PC games (have you bought anything in the Steam summer sale?) and will probably go walking in Scotland in September! We have so much in common!

Hahahaha cool, but I doubt you're going quite as far afield as us :tongue:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=breanais&hl=en&ll=58.048818,-7.014771&spn=2.788096,3.081665&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=25.040518,24.65332&z=8

I've PM'd you my steam ID. :smile: I haven't bought anything in the sale yet though, most unlike me, but I'm fairly skint =/

Is that a challenge? I haven't solidified my plans yet so I may go somewhere a little further just to beat you! Only joking :tongue:

Added you on Steam :smile:
Original post by Noble.
I thought as much, just wanted to double check because of how much it is :lol:

It's so good isn't it! Do you get the full £3225? I'm probably going to try and save some of it if I don't end up needing it :p:

I think the only other uni which tops Oxford is Imperial with £3500.

EDIT: Checked Cambridge and theirs is £3400.... :getmecoat:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2117
It's so good isn't it! Do you get the full £3225? I'm probably going to try and save some of it if I don't end up needing it :p:

I think the only other uni which tops Oxford is Imperial with £3500.

EDIT: Checked Cambridge and theirs is £3400.... :getmecoat:

I get the £3,225 and the £875 start up too, so essentially £4,100 from the bursary. (first year). If you split that £875 up over the course of the degree you really end up getting £3517 a year.
Original post by Noble.
I get the £3,225 and the £875 start up too, so essentially £4,100 from the bursary. (first year). If you split that £875 up over the course of the degree you really end up getting £3517 a year.

Wow, that's proper good :smile: Do you go to Portsmouth grammar? Because I went to the regional team maths challenge and Portsmouth Grammar just owned everybody :p: Just wondering if you were on the team because we were right next to them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2119
Wow, that's proper good :smile: Do you go to Portsmouth grammar? Because I went to the regional team maths challenge and Portsmouth Grammar just owned everybody :p: Just wondering if you were on the team because we were right next to them.

No, I did do that during AS though. I went to Havant College.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending