The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loz876
Haha, this is a genius idea! I'll just place a cat in one of the tutor's room and pretend to have nothing to do with it...

Make sure it's a really cute one so the tutors can't resist... :ninja:
Reply 2701
Original post by punctuation
Make sure it's a really cute one so the tutors can't resist... :ninja:

I'll bring a teeny tiny kitten... nobody can resist kittens!
Original post by loz876
I'll bring a teeny tiny kitten... nobody can resist kittens!

If they can resist a kitten, you know that you don't want to be spending three years being tutored by them, as you will know that they have a heart of purest, hardest stone
Original post by dragonmeister
If they can resist a kitten, you know that you don't want to be spending three years being tutored by them, as you will know that they have a heart of purest, hardest stone

Indeed. It's a test of epic proportions...

Bring a kitten to your interview and say, "oh I found him/her on the street and didn't want him/her to get lost". That way the tutors will see how utterly compassionate you are, and you'll be able to surreptitiously 'interview' them to see how they react.

'Accidentally' forget to take the kitten as you leave the room. If you don't hear from the tutors 10 minutes later, you'll know you've succeeded.
Reply 2704
Original post by dragonmeister

Very true!

To anyone: having a bit of a debate here, you can still apply to Oxford if you have retaken modules can't you?! My friend scared me when she said you can't! As long as you do your A levels in 2 years you're fine, right :confused:?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2705
I got back from the Open Days yesterday and it was truly amazing. I had the greatest time and I now know that I will be really sad and disappointed if I don't get an offer even knowing that it's just so unlikely... Oh well. I have the bonus of caring about PPE which I felt some people I met didn't, I felt more like they want to do it because it has a good repetition (which I, to be honest, didn't even really know when I first learned about the course but got excited right away).
Anyway, I didn't care for St. John's too much I have to say which I really didn't expect because it was (one of) my favorite before I went. But just like Magdalen and Merton, I just felt like it was too grand and big. Not learning environmenty enough for me and I don't think I'd really feel at home. I'm just not that kind of person, even though, of course and like all colleges, all three were really lovely.
I very much liked Brasenose (which even though it's big had a nicer atmosphere in my opinion) and Hertford, Worcester is lovely too. I have yet to make the final decision, I suppose I'll leave it to the end and think about everything I saw and heard at the Open Days. I'm really glad I went and advise all of you that haven't gone to one now to go to the september one if you have the chance. Even in one day you can really see a lot and get a feel for different places, even though I'm really glad I was there for both days.
And Oxford as a city is just so nice. Really really love it. Gonna work my butt off.
Original post by MeeMee
x

What made you decide against St John's? :K:
Original post by MeeMee
I got back from the Open Days yesterday and it was truly amazing. I had the greatest time and I now know that I will be really sad and disappointed if I don't get an offer even knowing that it's just so unlikely... Oh well. I have the bonus of caring about PPE which I felt some people I met didn't, I felt more like they want to do it because it has a good repetition (which I, to be honest, didn't even really know when I first learned about the course but got excited right away).
Anyway, I didn't care for St. John's too much I have to say which I really didn't expect because it was (one of) my favorite before I went. But just like Magdalen and Merton, I just felt like it was too grand and big. Not learning environmenty enough for me and I don't think I'd really feel at home. I'm just not that kind of person, even though, of course and like all colleges, all three were really lovely.
I very much liked Brasenose (which even though it's big had a nicer atmosphere in my opinion) and Hertford, Worcester is lovely too. I have yet to make the final decision, I suppose I'll leave it to the end and think about everything I saw and heard at the Open Days. I'm really glad I went and advise all of you that haven't gone to one now to go to the september one if you have the chance. Even in one day you can really see a lot and get a feel for different places, even though I'm really glad I was there for both days.
And Oxford as a city is just so nice. Really really love it. Gonna work my butt off.

That sounds like it really was worth to visit Oxford and look at all the different colleges, that's good :smile:
And don't worry too much, in this thread everyone is truly awesome and therefore will get an offer, you have to be optimistic :wink:
Original post by Unconventional.
Oh, cool :smile: . My dad is a doctor and originally wanted me to study medicine...but I decided when I was 14 that I wanted to law and that hasn't changed. xD

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to apply to New college. :smile:

Ooooh! And ah, it's good to be focused on what you want from early on :tongue:

:biggrin: and oh yes, i've heard a lot of good things about New!
Original post by nightmare91
That sounds like it really was worth to visit Oxford and look at all the different colleges, that's good :smile:
And don't worry too much, in this thread everyone is truly awesome and therefore will get an offer, you have to be optimistic :wink:

If this doesn't now happen i'm going to be very very disappointed :wink: :tongue:
Original post by loz876
To anyone: having a bit of a debate here, you can still apply to Oxford if you have retaken modules can't you?! My friend scared me when she said you can't! As long as you do your A levels in 2 years you're fine, right :confused:?
Yep, having done resits isn't a barrier to applying. You don't have to have done your A levels in two years either.

(It's the scottish universities that don't like resits and want everything done in two years)
Reply 2711
Original post by fluteflute
Yep, having done resits isn't a barrier to applying. You don't have to have done your A levels in two years either.

(It's the scottish universities that don't like resits and want everything done in two years)

Oh thank goodness. I was terrified!! I thought you were gonna say something like "sorry can't resit anything everrrr!" haha.
Thinking Skills has been shipped! Yay! I wasn't anticipating it all that much seeing as I have two other crit thinking books, though... Still waiting on my psychology textbook. Need it for my PS. :|

Anyway, thanks to the critical thinking book I'm currently reading, I've been analysing the flaws in arguments of those I talk to.

Needless to say, they're not too pleased about this recent development. >.>
Thinking Skills has been shipped! Yay! I wasn't anticipating it all that much seeing as I have two other crit thinking books, though... Still waiting on my psychology textbook. Need it for my PS. :|

Anyway, thanks to the critical thinking book I'm currently reading, I've been analysing the flaws in arguments of those I talk to.

Needless to say, they're not too pleased about this recent development. >.>

Sounds great :biggrin: So you think you're already getting better at this stuff? I ordered Thinking Skills and Critical Reasoning today :smile:
Original post by nightmare91
Sounds great :biggrin: So you think you're already getting better at this stuff? I ordered Thinking Skills and Critical Reasoning today :smile:

I'm not sure if I'm getting better, per se, but I'm definitely learning! Subconsciously I find myself doing the various exercises in the book (i.e. finding the main conclusion, the reasons, etc.). :ninja:

Hooray! I think mine's due to arrive Monday, since no post is delivered on the weekends and last time the delivery was the next day (after they sent the delivery email notification).
Ugh. Ugh ugh. Apparently people can see that I joined the Facebook group so the cat's out of the bag now.

My friend just told me she saw. A bit upset at the moment but I'll get over it. I left the group unfortunately because I'd rather more people not know about it. Hopefully no one else can see my posts afterwards, but they probably can. Argh. Anyway, they'd probably find out eventually if I were to go for an interview. Sigh. :/
Look, if the PS is not even important, why should I waste my time reading a book about my course just to have it in my PS? I don't mind reading, but I seriously don't think I have time for it because there are other books that are must-read for my classes and IB is just sooooo demanding I hardly have a free time. I envy you A Levels students!

oooh I'm obsessed with Oxford too! Hence why it's the only UK uni I'll be applying to. Or perhaps it will be the only uni I'll apply to :biggrin: (meaning I'm accepted)! It's a good thing I guess, so I can focus on what Oxford wants in my PS and mention a bit why I want to go to Oxford particularly.

I only talk about my extra curriculars and non academic achievements in one paragraph.

Ugh. Ugh ugh. Apparently people can see that I joined the Facebook group so the cat's out of the bag now.

My friend just told me she saw. A bit upset at the moment but I'll get over it. I left the group unfortunately because I'd rather more people not know about it. Hopefully no one else can see my posts afterwards, but they probably can. Argh. Anyway, they'd probably find out eventually if I were to go for an interview. Sigh. :/

really? oooh sorry I didn't know that! because I'm quite sure my friends don't know my groups. :s-smilie: have you checked your privacy settings, though? maybe there is an option to not publicly show groups you belong to.

I've changed the group so that only members can see the posts.

People can still see the group exists and a list of the members, but unless they join themselves (which I imagine most won't bother) can't see what you've written.
Reply 2718
Original post by desy.kris
Look, if the PS is not even important, why should I waste my time reading a book about my course just to have it in my PS? I don't mind reading, but I seriously don't think I have time for it because there are other books that are must-read for my classes and IB is just sooooo demanding I hardly have a free time. I envy you A Levels students!

oooh I'm obsessed with Oxford too! Hence why it's the only UK uni I'll be applying to. Or perhaps it will be the only uni I'll apply to :biggrin: (meaning I'm accepted)! It's a good thing I guess, so I can focus on what Oxford wants in my PS and mention a bit why I want to go to Oxford particularly.

I only talk about my extra curriculars and non academic achievements in one paragraph.

really? oooh sorry I didn't know that! because I'm quite sure my friends don't know my groups. :s-smilie: have you checked your privacy settings, though? maybe there is an option to not publicly show groups you belong to.

How do you consider it a waste of time to read a book related to the subject you want to study and the field you'll thus be working in for the rest of your life? I get really excited whenever I have a new book to read, and I picked one up at Blackwell in Oxford and I can't wait to read it, which I'll do after finishing up the one I'm reading at the moment.

Also @Julie: I just didn't like the feel of St. John's, I can't really describe it. For one, I got lost in there (I get lost very easily, so I suppose a smaller college is to my advantage; I was really proud that I didn't get lost in either Oxford or London with my maps, because I've managed to get lost in spite of having a map before), and then I didn't like the people I talked to in there too much and I didn't like all that concrete they have going on which is a same because the old buildings are really pretty. But honestly, I'm even somewhat glad I didn't like it so much because it makes the decision easier :smile:
Original post by MeeMee
How do you consider it a waste of time to read a book related to the subject you want to study and the field you'll thus be working in for the rest of your life? I get really excited whenever I have a new book to read, and I picked one up at Blackwell in Oxford and I can't wait to read it, which I'll do after finishing up the one I'm reading at the moment.

sigh. you are not taking IB, you don't understand the pain that we are suffering from.
I don't have time to read. even to read the texts that are compulsory for my language classes, I sometimes don't finish on time and end up reading at school because I have many other activities that are also compulsory for IB and there are so much homework and Internal Assessments due. not to mention the Extended Essay and TOK essay.
IB makes me not have the so called 'free time' to read books for leisure! and non-IB students never understand... oh how I regret taking the IB.

but anyways, I do want to read a book, if only I had the time to. I'm not lying!
if only my school would give us one free week without any assignment to finish, I'd use the time to read thousands of CS books.

Latest

Trending

Trending