The Student Room Group

HNC Computing

Hi guys, just joined today hoping for a bit of advice.

Starting the HNC Computing at Motherwell in august, worried that i'm going to struggle as ive not did higher or standard grade in computing, only int.2 administration and core skill in ICT at college last year, just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about what the course is like and how difficult it is? (Also hoping to do higher english at night at Motherwell, as I would like to go to university next year).

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by gregyscotland_MFC
Hi guys, just joined today hoping for a bit of advice.

Starting the HNC Computing at Motherwell in august, worried that i'm going to struggle as ive not did higher or standard grade in computing, only int.2 administration and core skill in ICT at college last year, just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about what the course is like and how difficult it is? (Also hoping to do higher english at night at Motherwell, as I would like to go to university next year).

Cheers.

I've recently finished a HNC in computing.

Is your course specialized, e.g HNC Computing: Software Development or HNC Computing: Technical Support, or is it just a broad HNC: Computing?

I can only speak for a HNC Computing: Technical Support but no prior technical knowledge was needed, other than being able to use a computer (typing, using the mouse, navigating through menus and folders).

Difficulty is subjective - some people find different things difficult. At my college, nearly every unit was coursework based and there was a fair bit of work to be done out of college. The exam itself is a mixture of multiple choice and written questions.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask!
Original post by Delaney
I've recently finished a HNC in computing.

Is your course specialized, e.g HNC Computing: Software Development or HNC Computing: Technical Support, or is it just a broad HNC: Computing?

I can only speak for a HNC Computing: Technical Support but no prior technical knowledge was needed, other than being able to use a computer (typing, using the mouse, navigating through menus and folders).

Difficulty is subjective - some people find different things difficult. At my college, nearly every unit was coursework based and there was a fair bit of work to be done out of college. The exam itself is a mixture of multiple choice and written questions.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask!

Hi I've just been accepted for that course am looking forward to it
Reply 3
Hi Gray

I am presuming that I am more or less in the same position as you, but I have been fortunate to have been in two separate colleges and due to circumstances I have not completed the course.
I may have to come back to you a few times on this subject.
One of the best things I can advise so far is being ahead with the applications you are going to need for the course.
The two applications that you may not receive from your college/uni is the "Drawing and Project Management Apps, for me this was Microsoft Project which will or may come in handy with a project you will have to construct and the other App is Microsoft Visio or any equivalent to these.
I have been told that MS Visio might be difficult to use, but I assure you that this is far from the case and you will find it take the stress of if you have to present a plan.

The other thing I would advise is to make sure you know most of the websites that you will use, from Microsoft to Moodle and so forth so you don't have any surprises.
Make sure you have back equipment like a external hard drive and enough space on the device you are going to use, as your work will contain lots of writing, piv/vids and referencing in each assignment. Remember this is not as simple as marking a question, you have a lot of explanation to do showing examples.

I do hope I have given you a heads up, as am attempting my 3rd try only due to circumstances as mentioned before.
Maybe I might of covered what I can so far and what our other colleagues have told you here.

Oh yes, I found that many of the students tend to lean to themselves, but try and remember.
You are in a business environment, this should be your display.
Understanding that this is not a all on your own thing and that each assignment could be a whole team in any company
The keyword is Team, but you can only do this with those willing to help each other.

Good Luck and Hope we both meet on the other side

Latest

Trending

Trending