The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Damn, Magdalen IS beautiful, but the thing is, I don't think I'll get in .. So hard to get into as well and with Queens I feel like I have a chance. I also feel like Magdalene would be too work, no play, for me.

Why do you say that? Know I'm coming in late here, but still- surely with the new system, it's all the same whereever you apply, right?
Original post by desy.kris
sigh. you are not taking IB, you don't understand the pain that we are suffering from.
I don't have time to read. even to read the texts that are compulsory for my language classes, I sometimes don't finish on time and end up reading at school because I have many other activities that are also compulsory for IB and there are so much homework and Internal Assessments due. not to mention the Extended Essay and TOK essay.
IB makes me not have the so called 'free time' to read books for leisure! and non-IB students never understand... oh how I regret taking the IB.

but anyways, I do want to read a book, if only I had the time to. I'm not lying!
if only my school would give us one free week without any assignment to finish, I'd use the time to read thousands of CS books.

Wow... i'm so glad i ignored everyone telling me to take the IB :redface: though surely you can do some extra reading in the summer holidays if you wanted? :smile:

Original post by such_a_lady
Why do you say that? Know I'm coming in late here, but still- surely with the new system, it's all the same whereever you apply, right?

I'm not sure about applications, but work-ethic seems to be different in different colleges, when i went to Oxford one of the physics students told me that Merton College is ridiculously hard-working compared to most O.o
Original post by manic_fuzz
I'm not sure about applications, but work-ethic seems to be different in different colleges, when i went to Oxford one of the physics students told me that Merton College is ridiculously hard-working compared to most O.o

No, I meant applications :smile: But I agree with you! I definitely want a college more focused on the academic side of things :smile:
No, I meant applications :smile: But I agree with you! I definitely want a college more focused on the academic side of things :smile:

Ahhh lo siento! Well, i guess you should in theory have the same chance regardless of college being that if you're good enough then you're likely to just get pooled into a different college :rolleyes: or at least i hope so!

Ooh I don't think i'd want to go to a college that's focused on competitive sportsmanship :tongue: or one that's too small! I should really look more into the different colleges at some point :tongue:
And i see you've already got your eye on Magdalen :wink:
Original post by fluteflute
I've changed the group so that only members can see the posts.

People can still see the group exists and a list of the members, but unless they join themselves (which I imagine most won't bother) can't see what you've written.

Right, thanks. I'll rejoin then, hope that does the trick. If not, whatever - the people who have already seen it will already know, and the rest of the 58 people, I won't mind terribly. :smile:

ETA: I just found a similar group https://www.facebook.com/groups/223971597636941

Original post by MeeMee
How do you consider it a waste of time to read a book related to the subject you want to study and the field you'll thus be working in for the rest of your life? I get really excited whenever I have a new book to read, and I picked one up at Blackwell in Oxford and I can't wait to read it, which I'll do after finishing up the one I'm reading at the moment.

Also @Julie: I just didn't like the feel of St. John's, I can't really describe it. For one, I got lost in there (I get lost very easily, so I suppose a smaller college is to my advantage; I was really proud that I didn't get lost in either Oxford or London with my maps, because I've managed to get lost in spite of having a map before), and then I didn't like the people I talked to in there too much and I didn't like all that concrete they have going on which is a same because the old buildings are really pretty. But honestly, I'm even somewhat glad I didn't like it so much because it makes the decision easier :smile:

Ah, I see. :frown: Well, that's too bad, but I hope you enjoy whichever college you decide on in the end.

Guys, how are your colleges for extracurricular activities/sports? I know St John's has some yearly/or something play they put on... it's on the Oxford YouTube actually. xD Speaking of YouTube, there's also a short video of a bop, which is a bit mystifying to me as I never party/do the typical teenager stuff. So I was kind of watching it thinking, is this what people really do? I swear it was just the movies... :colonhash:
Ahhh lo siento! Well, i guess you should in theory have the same chance regardless of college being that if you're good enough then you're likely to just get pooled into a different college :rolleyes: or at least i hope so!

Ooh I don't think i'd want to go to a college that's focused on competitive sportsmanship :tongue: or one that's too small! I should really look more into the different colleges at some point :tongue:
And i see you've already got your eye on Magdalen :wink:

Indeed I have :wink: I don't want to stress out about it too much because I could get interviewed at like three different places, so... But yeah, I used to want a small college then lots of people told me that small colleges can get quite cliquey, so something bigger would be better for me. And I do NOT do sport. At all. So I'd rather go to the college famous for winning University Challenge than the boat race :tongue:
Greg, sorry to keep bothering you with my own neurotic behaviour, but I see there's an option for a 'secret' group:

Would you mind making the Facebook group such? I understand if you don't want to, as it will make it more difficult for new members - but I could always just pass the link along to any newcomers to this thread. Thanks :wink:

New system? Well, the thing is, I wasn't aware that it was really. I just thought it's really academic and prestigous and I'd have a better chance at a more relaxed (and apparently friendleir) college. But I didn't even get a chance to have a proper look at Magdalen but I dunno :frown:
I think I may have changed sides from Cambridge to Oxford. In which case could you add me to the first post please =D.

Username: Maths134
Subject: Maths
GCSE: 7 A*'s, 4 A's, C
AS: Maths, Further maths, Physics, classics
College: Lincoln
New system? Well, the thing is, I wasn't aware that it was really. I just thought it's really academic and prestigous and I'd have a better chance at a more relaxed (and apparently friendleir) college. But I didn't even get a chance to have a proper look at Magdalen but I dunno :frown:

Well, lots of people (and I used to, too) still believed in the system where you apply for colleges tactically- if it doesn't get as many applicants, you'll have a better chance, if it takes more state school applicants, you'll have a better chance, etc, etc. This, to be fair, was only changed in the last decade or so- probably even more recently- where now all the interviewers at the colleges send off tons of emails to each other trying to get spaces for all the candidates they really like but don't have room for, and then there are big departmental meetings where they do the same thing.

On my blog I have loads of pictures of Magd, and a while back I posted an email I got from a girl at Magd on here; I can give you the links if you want?
Indeed I have :wink: I don't want to stress out about it too much because I could get interviewed at like three different places, so... But yeah, I used to want a small college then lots of people told me that small colleges can get quite cliquey, so something bigger would be better for me. And I do NOT do sport. At all. So I'd rather go to the college famous for winning University Challenge than the boat race :tongue:

Well fingerscrossed! Oh yeah, cliques aren't the best :redface:
ahahah, i've only watched that once... but i've never watched the boat race :tongue: i just want a college that has good accommodation, close to the middle of town, and has a good library :smile:
but yeah, sports = ergh. although i do play for fun, but i'm even worse than tragic at most things like that :wink:
Well, lots of people (and I used to, too) still believed in the system where you apply for colleges tactically- if it doesn't get as many applicants, you'll have a better chance, if it takes more state school applicants, you'll have a better chance, etc, etc. This, to be fair, was only changed in the last decade or so- probably even more recently- where now all the interviewers at the colleges send off tons of emails to each other trying to get spaces for all the candidates they really like but don't have room for, and then there are big departmental meetings where they do the same thing.

On my blog I have loads of pictures of Magd, and a while back I posted an email I got from a girl at Magd on here; I can give you the links if you want?

Yeah I understand that... I do ADORE Queen's if I'm honest, but, I see... so if you apply to a college its likely (if you get an offer) it won't be at the one yoy applied too? so like pooling?

Oh well I actually think I read the email you posted :biggrin: I remember, the girl sounded realyl nice. Unless I'm thinking of something else. But yes please could I have the link to the pictures of Magdalen? It would be helpful :3 thank you :biggrin:
Original post by maths134
I think I may have changed sides from Cambridge to Oxford. In which case could you add me to the first post please =D.

:hi:

How come?
Well fingerscrossed! Oh yeah, cliques aren't the best :redface:
ahahah, i've only watched that once... but i've never watched the boat race :tongue: i just want a college that has good accommodation, close to the middle of town, and has a good library :smile:
but yeah, sports = ergh. although i do play for fun, but i'm even worse than tragic at most things like that :wink:

Don't worry, I'm exactly the same :tongue: Yeah, I wanted one with accomm for the whole course, I quite like Magd's location, and I wanted an old pretty rich one :tongue:

Yeah I understand that... I do ADORE Queen's if I'm honest, but, I see... so if you apply to a college its likely (if you get an offer) it won't be at the one yoy applied too? so like pooling?

Oh well I actually think I read the email you posted :biggrin: I remember, the girl sounded realyl nice. Unless I'm thinking of something else. But yes please could I have the link to the pictures of Magdalen? It would be helpful :3 thank you :biggrin:

http://tomlinscoteshakespeare.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/some-pictures-of-oxford/

Magdalen starts on the 13th picture - 13! my lucky number! - and stops at the picture of Radcliffe Hall or whatever it's called :biggrin: Yes, the skeleton was from Magd's hall- they were having a Pirates of the Caribbean-themed formal hall :tongue:

:woo: Yet another to join our ranks after switching sides! Yes, why did you choose Oxford instead?

ETA: To clue you guys in on my obsession...

I've had three different pictures of St John's as my desktop wallpaper over the past few weeks... it's just so pretty. Every time I look at it my heart skips a beat. :wink:

Spoiler

Pillars......... :drool:
(edited 12 years ago)

Magdalen starts on the 13th picture - 13! my lucky number! - and stops at the picture of Radcliffe Hall or whatever it's called :biggrin: Yes, the skeleton was from Magd's hall- they were having a Pirates of the Caribbean-themed formal hall :tongue:

13? That's interesting :biggrin: But wow, they're beautiful :biggrin: wow, it's really nice XD LOL, I was confused about that skeleton! Thats pretty cool, if not random XD what a nice hall it is o.o It's definitely extremely beautiful :3 but yes, thanks for giving me the link :biggrin:
Are you applying to this one?
Original post by punctuation
:woo: Yet another to join our ranks after switching sides! Yes, why did you choose Oxford instead?

Original post by dnumberwang
:hi:

How come?

In response to both =p. Basically I visited both a few times to get a feel for them and I found it quite hard to decide. It was Lincoln at Oxford or Clare at Cambridge that I had to decide between. It came down to a number of things. Firstly the obvious difference STEP or MAT. Now I have a better chance of an offer at cambridge but I dont think I could take getting an offer and being one of the 50% to not reach my offer (that would be...ugh). Secondly, the size of the town, Oxford is bigger which I prefer. LIttle things tilted it for Oxford I suppose. STEP really does bother me lol. Let the MAT prep begin =D
Don't worry, I'm exactly the same :tongue: Yeah, I wanted one with accomm for the whole course, I quite like Magd's location, and I wanted an old pretty rich one :tongue:

:O oooo all your pictures look great! When i visited Oxford i took barely any pictures because i didn't want to look like a tourist :tongue:
:wink: i'm going to have to follow your Twitter

Original post by punctuation
ETA: To clue you guys in on my obsession...

I've had three different pictures of St John's as my desktop wallpaper over the past few weeks... it's just so pretty. Every time I look at it my heart skips a beat. :wink:

Spoiler

Pillars......... :drool:

:biggrin: ah it is beautiful... but your folders... 'yayspades'?... :L ahaha!
:O oooo all your pictures look great! When i visited Oxford i took barely any pictures because i didn't want to look like a tourist :tongue:
:wink: i'm going to have to follow your Twitter

:wink: yay! And yes, I never bought a camera because I had the same fear, but now I'm like "sod it, I spent £90 on a camera, I'm going to use it!" I might put some more up :mmm: Sorry about my friend acting as a model :tongue:
In response to both =p. Basically I visited both a few times to get a feel for them and I found it quite hard to decide. It was Lincoln at Oxford or Clare at Cambridge that I had to decide between. It came down to a number of things. Firstly the obvious difference STEP or MAT. Now I have a better chance of an offer at cambridge but I dont think I could take getting an offer and being one of the 50% to not reach my offer (that would be...ugh). Secondly, the size of the town, Oxford is bigger which I prefer. LIttle things tilted it for Oxford I suppose. STEP really does bother me lol. Let the MAT prep begin =D

Hooray! Good luck on MAT prep. :smile:

:biggrin: ah it is beautiful... but your folders... 'yayspades'?... :L ahaha!

Hahahaha... yeah I love playing spades. >.>

Latest

Trending

Trending