The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Original post by manic_fuzz
Oooh okay :s-smilie: which is you're preferred college?

Aaaah, i've got my test booked for the 20th of this month... :| i'm somewhat unexcited :tongue:
Haven't even started my PS though, i guess i'll just start that once the UKCAT pressure is off :wink:

I was thinking Magdalene but gonna visit more soon :smile:

Oh wow I see, good luck! Im on September 3 so ages away :smile:
Fair enough and I can understand that :biggrin: How much UKCAT revision have you done? :smile:
Original post by Nator
I was thinking Magdalene but gonna visit more soon :smile:

Oh wow I see, good luck! Im on September 3 so ages away :smile:
Fair enough and I can understand that :biggrin: How much UKCAT revision have you done? :smile:

I've done a fair bit of AR but nothing much else :tongue: i really need to focus some more on the QR!

Original post by Joseppea
I had a dream where I had to sit the UKCAT and went through each section in my dream (how sad is that?!?! D; ) But after the dream it made me realise I don't know if I have any formal ID...

My passport expired, I haven't got my provisional license yet (though planning to soon)

What did you guys use as proof of ID?:smile:

I sent off for my provisional licence recently but i'm not sure if it'll come in time... although an alternative form of ID (which im going to get just in case my provisional doesn't arrive) is some weird document that someone important at your college can fill out, it's kind've outlined at the bottom of this page :tongue:
Reply 5442
I've done a fair bit of AR but nothing much else :tongue: i really need to focus some more on the QR!

No problem and thanks :smile:
Oh right I see, and don't worry you have time to learn it :biggrin:
Original post by Joseppea
I had a dream where I had to sit the UKCAT and went through each section in my dream (how sad is that?!?! D; ) But after the dream it made me realise I don't know if I have any formal ID...

My passport expired, I haven't got my provisional license yet (though planning to soon)

What did you guys use as proof of ID?:smile:

I sent off for my provisional drivers licence on Monday, got a letter today with my ID documents back so I'm assuming the application was fine, should get it sometime this or next week. Also it's not that sad, especially when if like me the entire application rests on doing well in this...
Reply 5444

I sent off for my provisional licence recently but i'm not sure if it'll come in time... although an alternative form of ID (which im going to get just in case my provisional doesn't arrive) is some weird document that someone important at your college can fill out, it's kind've outlined at the bottom of this page :tongue:

Just looked at this outta curiosity... and they show a sample.. with Harry Potter on :|
Original post by loz876
Just looked at this outta curiosity... and they show a sample.. with Harry Potter on :|

:wink: they've got the right idea going then, because Harry Potter is amazing! :biggrin:
Can everyone who has taken their UKCAT please post it here?

or is there a thread somewhere dedicated to it?
Reply 5447
:wink: they've got the right idea going then, because Harry Potter is amazing! :biggrin:

Haha, I just wasn't expecting it!! Love how his picture looks like mugshot...
Original post by Limesasquatch
Can everyone who has taken their UKCAT please post it here?

or is there a thread somewhere dedicated to it?

There is this thread :smile:

Original post by loz876
Haha, I just wasn't expecting it!! Love how his picture looks like mugshot...

:tongue: it's because even UKCAT are excited about the last film :wink:
Reply 5449
:frown: oh no, but my, you have some crazy plans going on there, straight from the hospital to the airport?! :eek:

Pretty much. The taxi was booked for 4.30 and I was meant to finish at 4, I had everything packed and hung around until the last possible minute before leaving.
Original post by Nator
Yeah that's so true, gotta love the profession :biggrin:
Also hows your PS coming along?

We already had first draft done and marked in April, but need to find some way to squeeze something from this placement in. It's at 3965 characters already so will have to cut out something else, don't know what though.
Original post by JChoudhry
I miss my place too! It was at the Royal London Hospital and I LOVED it! :biggrin: I added one of the doctors of facebook :laugh:

Same, I especially got facebook for that. :colondollar:
Reply 5450
Original post by cz100
We already had first draft done and marked in April, but need to find some way to squeeze something from this placement in. It's at 3965 characters already so will have to cut out something else, don't know what though.

Oh wow so early :eek: Just take out anything which is less important than your placement, if you want we can do a peer review?
i definately want to take medicine at university and have looked at southampton so far. i'm also going to see st.george's, east anglia and nottingham :smile:

i might be looking into applying for the BM6 rather than the BM5 but i know that the BM6 is an access course for students who are said to have not yet reached their full potential. i do however meet 3 of the requirements, and it says only one has to apply to you to be able to apply; i receive EMA, my household income is below £25,000 and i'm the first person in my family to be applying to uni.

Entry requirements for this range from BCC-AAB from what i have seen so far. But i've been thinking that if after application if i do better in my results than expected i.e. get 3 A's, will they still accept/consider me? or think that i should have applied for the traditional BM5? :s-smilie:

Any advice on this would be of great help! Don't know if any other people are looking at this.
Im at a grammar school and at my sixth form about 7/175 people want to apply for medicine :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5452
Original post by Nator
Oh wow so early :eek: Just take out anything which is less important than your placement, if you want we can do a peer review?

I'll post it in PS help when I've decided more on the unis. It's just different places have different emphasis on placements so I have to keep it balanced. Completely stuck at 4282 characters now, and I also have a senior prefect interview in August so might have a little bit more to put in.
Original post by cz100
I'll post it in PS help when I've decided more on the unis. It's just different places have different emphasis on placements so I have to keep it balanced. Completely stuck at 4282 characters now, and I also have a senior prefect interview in August so might have a little bit more to put in.

I'd suggest choosing your unis, then writing it tailored to them.
Reply 5454
Original post by Straight up G
I'd suggest choosing your unis, then writing it tailored to them.

The only ones I've decided are Cambridge/Oxford depending on AS marks and Birmingham. The rest would depend on my UKCAT score but I'm hoping for Aberdeen and maybe Imperial. Currently sitting with the UCAS big map and a magnifying glass to see where all the unis are
Original post by hopefulmedic
i might be looking into applying for the BM6 rather than the BM5 but i know that the BM6 is an access course for students who are said to have not yet reached their full potential. i do however meet 3 of the requirements, and it says only one has to apply to you to be able to apply; i receive EMA, my household income is below £25,000 and i'm the first person in my family to be applying to uni.

I just looked into this and the requirements are different to what you say, you need TWO of: First generation to uni, EMA, someone in immediate family gets means-tested benefits, or live in a bottom 20% region according to the indice of multiple deprivation. You meet these requirements, but this course is almost certainly many times more competitive than the 5 year course, as the requirements are far lower, and there are only 30 places available.
Original post by cz100
The only ones I've decided are Cambridge/Oxford depending on AS marks and Birmingham. The rest would depend on my UKCAT score but I'm hoping for Aberdeen and maybe Imperial. Currently sitting with the UCAS big map and a magnifying glass to see where all the unis are

Haha, I've got the UCAS Big Map, but I'd already drawn (traced) a map of England and then put all the med schools on it. Are you from Scotland? Because Aberdeen is literally hundreds of miles from all the others... I don't know about Aberdeen's use of UKCAT, but obviously Imperial don't use it...
Reply 5457
Original post by Straight up G
Haha, I've got the UCAS Big Map, but I'd already drawn (traced) a map of England and then put all the med schools on it. Are you from Scotland? Because Aberdeen is literally hundreds of miles from all the others... I don't know about Aberdeen's use of UKCAT, but obviously Imperial don't use it...

I live in NI and I'm not planning to apply for Queen's so anywhere would be travel for me. I really like the look of Aberdeen, and Imperial is if I get a mediocre UKCAT score.
How's everyone's UKCAT prep going (if you're doing it!).
I just did the practice test joemullally posted in the big UKCAT thread (this one) and did quite well with 64/87, although it seems easier than the other practice I've done, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
Reply 5459
Original post by Normandy114
How's everyone's UKCAT prep going (if you're doing it!).
I just did the practice test joemullally posted in the big UKCAT thread (this one) and did quite well with 64/87, although it seems easier than the other practice I've done, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Just started today with some AR :smile:
And just did that too and got 71/87, breakdown of marks:

VR = 18/24
AR = 19/25
DA = 13/14
QR = 21/24

Taking this as a positive as I haven't really started any solid revision :biggrin:

Latest