The Student Room Group

What is Cambridge like for a night out/social and night life

It's my first choice and honestly I love the university to bits, that said I am not going to shoot it down if it's nightlife is absolutely... crap. I just want an honest opinion so I know what to expect :smile:

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty good there are plenty of bars and a night club to go to each night of the week, during weeknights the city is completely covered in students. From what I understand, it's not as loud and exciting as somewhere like leeds, but I have had a good night life there, its much, much better than where I am from (Ipswich).
Reply 2
I've been wondering this too :hmmm:
Well, just imagine all the gimps from every school around the world collecting in one place who have a passion for studying. Don't expect any Jersey Shore scenes, let's put it that way...
Reply 4
I've only been to Cambridge to visit my brother but from what I saw there were plenty of pubs for a night out crawling. Didn't notice any night clubs but I wasn't trying to look for them.
Reply 5
The most popular nightclub is probably Fez, you have a club called Ballare which is big on international nights, 'The place' which I am not a great fan of. and a couple others. Most of the people I came across are going to Anglia Ruskin, like me. There are a few cocktail bars etc. For watching sports I would say the main place if the avery. there is a very big weatherspoons called the regal which is pretty busy most night and turns into a club like bar on friday and saturday nights.
Reply 6
The nightlife isn't amazing, but it's been pretty good to me from my experience.
Original post by g0ddard
The most popular nightclub is probably Fez, you have a club called Ballare which is big on international nights, 'The place' which I am not a great fan of. and a couple others. Most of the people I came across are going to Anglia Ruskin, like me. There are a few cocktail bars etc. For watching sports I would say the main place if the avery. there is a very big weatherspoons called the regal which is pretty busy most night and turns into a club like bar on friday and saturday nights.

I'm gonna be going to Anglia ruskin in September! :biggrin:

Just wondering, and this is gonna sound awful, but are there big kind of 'underground' nights and stuff? For like, Dubstep, electro, drum and bass around? Where I live at the moment they seem to have quite big line-ups most weeks and I was just wondering if the producers Cambridge brings in are as good :smile:

(Treading on eggshells trying to not sound like a di*k there aha)
Reply 8
If you like real ale pubs, its great.

If you like lively lightlife, with great nightclubs and student bars, then you're going to be disappointed. It's also pretty damn expensive.

It's alright. I've been to far worse. It's really not a patch on the big midland or northern cities that a lot of students enjoy though.
Reply 9
Original post by liamcol123
I'm gonna be going to Anglia ruskin in September! :biggrin:

Just wondering, and this is gonna sound awful, but are there big kind of 'underground' nights and stuff? For like, Dubstep, electro, drum and bass around? Where I live at the moment they seem to have quite big line-ups most weeks and I was just wondering if the producers Cambridge brings in are as good :smile:

(Treading on eggshells trying to not sound like a di*k there aha)

yes the junction has drum and bass nights and Dubstep nights which get pretty busy
Reply 10
Original post by g0ddard
Pretty good there are plenty of bars and a night club to go to each night of the week, during weeknights the city is completely covered in students. From what I understand, it's not as loud and exciting as somewhere like leeds, but I have had a good night life there, its much, much better than where I am from (Ipswich).

I'm from Ipswich as well, I'll be starting at Anglia Ruskin this September :smile: Glad to hear the nightlife is lively. & I heard they have a couple silent disco's, are they only during freshers?
Reply 11
Original post by Ennykay
I'm from Ipswich as well, I'll be starting at Anglia Ruskin this September :smile: Glad to hear the nightlife is lively. & I heard they have a couple silent disco's, are they only during freshers?

I'm not sure about silent disco's outside of freshers, I'm not a great fan of them, personally. There is a bar that you can bring your Mp3 player, ipod etc and play a playlist of your choice of 20minutes. I haven't been there though, Kinda wish I did while I lived in the town center.

I will say Cambridge is expensive. The wetherspoons is £2.85 for a pint of tuborg, which is one of the chepeast. other bars now charge £3+

For anglia ruskin, I mainly went out mondays at fez.
Original post by g0ddard
I'm not sure about silent disco's outside of freshers, I'm not a great fan of them, personally. There is a bar that you can bring your Mp3 player, ipod etc and play a playlist of your choice of 20minutes. I haven't been there though, Kinda wish I did while I lived in the town center.

I will say Cambridge is expensive. The wetherspoons is £2.85 for a pint of tuborg, which is one of the chepeast. other bars now charge £3+

For anglia ruskin, I mainly went out mondays at fez.

£2.85 for a bloody tuborg?! Christ, I was hoping it would be cheap because of the two universities, was more positive thinking probably...
Reply 13
Original post by liamcol123
£2.85 for a bloody tuborg?! Christ, I was hoping it would be cheap because of the two universities, was more positive thinking probably...

Beer is generally between £3 and £4 a pint. In the clubs its even more, between £4 and £5.
Original post by py0alb
Beer is generally between £3 and £4 a pint. In the clubs its even more, between £4 and £5.

Even on the student nights? Like, Tuesdays and Thursdays? Ahhhhh sh*t, looks like I'll have to be getting a part time job! Do you know how much (gonna sound gay) vodka and a mixer generally is? That's what I usually drink on nights out..
Original post by py0alb

Yeah fez charge £4.50 for a bottle of corona and £8.50 for a double vodka and coke, extortion!
inb4 ISA posts: 'the only reason for going to university is to learn!!!!!!11!!'
Reply 17
Original post by dodgymonkey
Yeah fez charge £4.50 for a bottle of corona and £8.50 for a double vodka and coke, extortion!

A bottle of corona is generally expensive anyway, I haven't heard of double vodka and coke £8.50; I'm guessing that would be on a saturday night, after 12? Monday nights are the cheapest nights out, i think you can get vodka and coke £2 or something, I generally didn't drink while in a club. I would just take £10 out with me and spend upto £5 entry, usually. then just buy the one drink and buy something to eat on way home.
Reply 18
Original post by g0ddard

One night club lol. I'd get bored with that quick!

OP, the nightlife at Cambridge ain't great - I know someone who only went out once in her whole year (out as in partying hard in da club). But if your thing is pubs/bars then you're sorted.
Reply 19
What pubs and bars does everyone here like and dislike in Cambridge then?

I think been to all of the pubs in the river loop and in Peterfield, Chesterton, Romsey and Ditton.

Quick Reply

Latest