The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon
Many don't though, and that is a problem.

Are you sure, I don't know peninsulas case too well as I am not there. But I think it affects us certainly, why are SU has emailed us all about it. But then ICSMSU is going to have funding issues from next year on so I don't what we are doing wrt that...

Worst case scenario the Medic sports teams can be set up under MedSoc surely?
Reply 4561
Original post by carcinoma
Worst case scenario the Medic sports teams can be set up under MedSoc surely?

All the amendment mean is not being able to compete in BUCS events as a separate team, but that isn't something I want to see happen.

Surely the issue is funding.
Original post by Renal
Surely the issue is funding.

The individual medical schools societies funds should be able to offer some funding, and medsoc could raise the rest?
Reply 4563
Currently ours are funded by ICSMSU anyway as far as I know. Our SU is still currently separate. But money is going to become tighter very soon as one of the funds is stopping money over the next 5 years.
Do they not get a grant (possibly through ICSU) from BUCS?
I don't think you get money from BUCS, on the contrary I think you have to pay affiliation fees. But I must admit I don't know as my own sport isn't part of BUCS so I don't deal with it. The fund that is going currently pays for the Presidents salary, so they will have to either make cuts elsewhere, find more money or stop it being a Sab position...

As I read that if you are part of the uni, regardless of where you get your funding the uni will only be allowed to field 1 team.

Correct - it's not an issue of funding, but purely an issue of 1 uni = 1 team. At least as far as BUCS is concerned*.

My two cents: Historically (particularly wrt the London five) they've been independent in every sense of the word, and today remain independent in (not quite) every sense of the word, but who are BUCS to decide otherwise? Moreover, the not unreasonable generalisation is that medic sports clubs are more chilled than their counterparts, or else specifically cater for the mish mash of timetables... But they can be in equal parts competitive. Take rugby at Imperial: the medics play in the BUCS premier league - one league higher than IC - and have never lost at Varsity.

I very much see this happening though. It's already happening at GKT, and an ex-Sab says Imperial have been looking into this for a few years now. Evidently the issue of funding is there too*.

Sorry for rambling! :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4565
Our SU is still currently separate. But money is going to become tighter very soon as one of the funds is stopping money over the next 5 years.

Don't worry - it's a gradual reduction from just one of our funding bodies over a period of 5 years. Other sources of funding are being sought already. What's more the Alumni Association is growing :smile:
Why don't your teams fund raise for yourselfs?

Our MEDSOC always gave a little something with the rest coming from the team's bar sponsors and protection organisations.
Original post by Elles
How have people done their A&E clinical attachments...?

Because currently have students in A&E makes my day much worse & I usually love teaching. :bawling: There isn't really a plan for them - they seem to just be told to attach themselves to someone (usually an FY2) but then they don't really shadow they want to see patients... which is fine.

But then I have to juggle more patients with my patients - it builds in delays while I'm multitasking & I'm not sure their clerking saves anytime as the quality isn't great (i.e. missing fairly obvious Qs, not pushing for a repeat prescription list & doing a proper drug history or even doing any attempt at examination because for some reason things are difficult so they can't do it... I'm obviously trying to train them up on these things!).
& then I get even later trying to through in teaching points too.
& then if I've redone the clerking sometimes need to run it by a middlegrade/consultant anyway.
& then they ask if they can go for lunch because it's lunchtime when i haven't PUd all day & feel like I'm about to have a hypo! :tongue:
Not that I remember that much of A&E but I think we presented to SpRs and Consultants only to speed things along?

Getting people to do practical procedures is easy - if there's something to be done then I'll happily find (& supervise :wink: ) a student to do it if they've done it on a mannekin (sometimes they haven't?! Weird), can talk me through it & patient is happy... it's the seeing patients part that stresses me out & I want to be welcomming & helpful but it's making me a grump.

What have people found helpful as a way to learn in A&E?

It depends on the hospital as some departments like things done in a certain way in A&E.

On my attachment we were left to do what we wanted really. It was mainly based on clerking and unless it was something urgent, all the doctors were happy for the students to see the patient first. Most consultants expected a full history and examination with impression and plan though. Maybe make that clear to your students? It's the best way to learn really.

If things are not too busy I found A&E was the best place to get watched examining. Quick, mock paces/osce style 10 minute examination and viva. Very useful. It's hard to get that on most wards because there's usually just the HO/SHO around. Sometimes the doctor would take the history and I would just examine or just examine one system for example. Exam practice and keeps everyone involved.
Sonisphere! Oh my. I even got a bit of a tan going on.
Reply 4569
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Sonisphere! Oh my. I even got a bit of a tan going on.

How was iiiiit? *squeals*
Original post by Skwee
How was iiiiit? *squeals*

Soooooo good. Too many great bands to mention, but my personal faves were Bad Religion, Anthrax, Gojira, Turbowolf, Alestorm and, despite my best efforts, I thoroughly enjoyed Slipknot.
im starting my clinicals in september and my first semester is going to be either heart and lung stuff or GI liver and kidneys. the Gi semester was the one i've just done and i did alright so i'm not too worried if that is the first semester, but heart and lung was my worst semester. sooooo i need to brush up on it (especially since we get joined by a bunch of St Andews people who tend to make us look **** as it is). anyway what would be the best stuff to look over before september. I'm going through Guyton for the physiology stuff and Kumar and Clarke for clinical things. I'm doing the heart first so i'm starting with heart failure, MI, heart block, angina ,mitral valve stuff, endocarditis and a few other bits and bobs. ECG and CXR i can practise at home but other clinical things will have to wait (unless my family fancy letting me stick them) obviously i should do the most common stuff first. is there anything else i should take a look at?

PS yes i am a little bit keen. there's not much to be excited about where i live
Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks
im starting my clinicals in september and my first semester is going to be either heart and lung stuff or GI liver and kidneys. the Gi semester was the one i've just done and i did alright so i'm not too worried if that is the first semester, but heart and lung was my worst semester. sooooo i need to brush up on it (especially since we get joined by a bunch of St Andews people who tend to make us look **** as it is). anyway what would be the best stuff to look over before september. I'm going through Guyton for the physiology stuff and Kumar and Clarke for clinical things. I'm doing the heart first so i'm starting with heart failure, MI, heart block, angina ,mitral valve stuff, endocarditis and a few other bits and bobs. ECG and CXR i can practise at home but other clinical things will have to wait (unless my family fancy letting me stick them) obviously i should do the most common stuff first. is there anything else i should take a look at?

PS yes i am a little bit keen. there's not much to be excited about where i live

New mini k&c comes out soon I was told today. Perhaps wait for that to come out, get it and flick through a few cardio related pages. That is assuming you were going to get it anyway. Thats what my mates who are going into clinical firms are doing.
Original post by Medicine Man
New mini k&c comes out soon I was told today. Perhaps wait for that to come out, get it and flick through a few cardio related pages. That is assuming you were going to get it anyway. Thats what my mates who are going into clinical firms are doing.

i've go the 7th edition. the big one from 2009. i assume things have moved on since then a bit but i'm not going to grab the mini one just yet. thanks for the advice though!
Im soooo annoyed getting screwed over by my elective placement already! Seriously you would have thought they would have never seen a student with a disability before!! This is the point where i wish that i had never bothered declaring it on the occupational health form.
What do you lot do when friends ask you about their health? I was told things, examined them, thought their might be something there and basically bullied them into getting a GP appointment...is that the right way to go about it? I can see things like this becoming very delicate - any thoughts people?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wangers
What do you lot do when friends ask you about their health? I was told things, asked not to tell their parents, examined them, thought their might be something there and basically bullied them into getting a GP appointment...is that the right way to go about it? I can see things like this becoming very delicate - any thoughts people?

I avoid it if at all possible, and tell them to see their GP. I wouldn't examine them apart perhaps from in a trauma-ish setting. Fortunately my friends are sensible and don't ask me too many tricky questions.
Original post by Wangers
Any thoughts people?

Only ever had this sort of thing happen with my friends who are themselves medical students and we usually agree on what it might be. Sinusitis,dermatitis,kidney stones, possible chancre...

If I where to speak with non medical friends I'd have a look for them if they are worried and partly to get them off my back and tell them to get to a GP.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wangers
What do you lot do when friends ask you about their health? I was told things, examined them, thought their might be something there and basically bullied them into getting a GP appointment...is that the right way to go about it? I can see things like this becoming very delicate - any thoughts people?

bargepole

Explain things they have been told by their GP into laymans terms - yes
Try to diagnose or manage - no
Reply 4579
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Soooooo good. Too many great bands to mention, but my personal faves were Bad Religion, Anthrax, Gojira, Turbowolf, Alestorm and, despite my best efforts, I thoroughly enjoyed Slipknot.

Mhmm Anthrax. I like a couple of Slipknot songs, admittedly.

Spain seem to have Dream Theater playing too which I'd lurveeee.

Latest