The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
I has a question for y'all

Im off to keele in sept and there will be a 2gb cap limit (kinda bullsh*t is this?!) how does everyone at uni stream regular season games if you have a cap limit?

I know a lot of you probably dont have one, but im a pretty tech minded guy and looking for ways to "alter" my mac address or something similar so I can remove this limit temporarily cos I will easily wipeout that 2gb on one nfl game.

Help a brotha out!
Original post by Dappaman

Im off to keele in sept and there will be a 2gb cap limit (kinda bullsh*t is this?!) how does everyone at uni stream regular season games if you have a cap limit?

I know a lot of you probably dont have one, but im a pretty tech minded guy and looking for ways to "alter" my mac address or something similar so I can remove this limit temporarily cos I will easily wipeout that 2gb on one nfl game.

Help a brotha out!

Sorry, I was never capped! However I'm not sure changing your MAC address would help you here.

Best option is to watch it at someone's house who has uncapped internet or go to a NFL-friendly pub.

Help a brotha out!

Sorry to quote you and not actually answer your question but do you know if Keele are getting a team up and running? Because I'm from Staffs and a varsity game would be epic. Got them for every other sport except american football :frown:
Reply 1663
Original post by Scott129
Sorry to quote you and not actually answer your question but do you know if Keele are getting a team up and running? Because I'm from Staffs and a varsity game would be epic. Got them for every other sport except american football :frown:

As of right now I've been checking and don't know of a team. It is sad as there are literally varsity games for all the other sports!

Are there any keelites at staffs for football? I think I was told that to play football they just join up with you guys
Reply 1664
Original post by Hedgeman49
Sorry, I was never capped! However I'm not sure changing your MAC address would help you here.

Best option is to watch it at someone's house who has uncapped internet or go to a NFL-friendly pub.

Lucky for some! :frown:

Yeah I think I'll have to end up doing that.. :*(

If I miss football next year because of this cap....man. I already miss it too much, from the commentators endlessly saying "Its the intangibles" to the CBS theme tune when they show games.

To those of you who have no idea what I'm on about its this:

Lucky for some! :frown:

Yeah I think I'll have to end up doing that.. :*(

If I miss football next year because of this cap....man. I already miss it too much, from the commentators endlessly saying "Its the intangibles" to the CBS theme tune when they show games.

To those of you who have no idea what I'm on about its this:

That just reminded me how much I hate this lockout and how much I miss the NFL :frown:
Why the **** haven't I seen this?

I'm not a religious follower of NFL, I'll admit, but ever since playing Madden 2000 I've had a bit of a soft spot. :h:

Original post by Warrior King
I guess I'm the only one here following the American Football World Cup? :frown:

I can't for the life of me see the links to live play....
Mexico look pretty good.
Original post by paddy__power
Mexico look pretty good.

Try the official site again although I tried to access it from my htc and there was a problem. I get email updates daily with results from the official site. But yeah I reckon Japan, Mexico and the USA are looking good. I want Japan to win it.

I do find it odd that our team GB can't compete to a similar standard as we have extensive American Football schemes at UK universities and through local leagues.
Try the official site again although I tried to access it from my htc and there was a problem. I get email updates daily with results from the official site. But yeah I reckon Japan, Mexico and the USA are looking good. I want Japan to win it.

I do find it odd that our team GB can't compete to a similar standard as we have extensive American Football schemes at UK universities and through local leagues.

I might just be useless but nowhere can I find live links. FML.

Aye, I didn't realize Japan had much in the way of AF leagues and the like.
Original post by RabbitCFH
Finley got an injury at the beginning of the season. :fyi:

Fair play. Forgot that. Thanks :P

Original post by RabbitCFH

Jennings is a great WR, Driver is not as good as he used to be but is still a valuable player. Nelson was pretty good last season indeed. There were several times while watching a Packers game when I was like 'how the **** could you have not caught it?!' (usually Jones or Nelson) though.

Nonetheless Aaron does have some good guns on the field. It's not an outstanding receiving unit but still, it is pretty damn good.

Fair assessment I suppose.

Pretty damn good receiving core + pretty damn good QB + pretty damn good coach + pretty damn amazing defense = Superbowl.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Why the **** haven't I seen this?

I'm not a religious follower of NFL, I'll admit, but ever since playing Madden 2000 I've had a bit of a soft spot. :h:

Loads of people just randomly find this thread haha! Glad to have another member :L There is a society/group if you can be bothered... It should be on the OP....

I started on madden 08, so you're a more seasoned fan than me :L

And I have that flag on my wall! Ever been to see the bucs?
I guess I'm the only one here following the American Football World Cup? :frown:

If we got Eurosport at my house, I would watch it :frown:

Gutted.
As of right now I've been checking and don't know of a team. It is sad as there are literally varsity games for all the other sports!

Are there any keelites at staffs for football? I think I was told that to play football they just join up with you guys

Nah, don't think so, think you have to be a student :frown: Although there is Staffordshire/Stoke Surge which isn't a uni team and I know there are students from both universities playing for them. It's a shame because varsity games have such a great atmosphere, could really help with publicising it.
Original post by The Patriot
If we got Eurosport at my house, I would watch it :frown:

Gutted.

It isn't on UK Eurosport. Google the IFAF website and follow the links to the official world cup site and watch the live coverage there.

Failing that sign up for the email service and have the results sent to you daily including post match analysis.

Looks like it might be a US v Japan.

How did the Japanese get so good at American Footy? I mean they're not all short they have some over 180cm tall and there are a few short people one at 161cm (I read the stats on the website) but they seem to have something on the sport we don't here in the UK when on paper e.g. uni/national setup, physical attributes, rugby heritage. you'd expect us to at least muster up a decent side. Then again the Japanese aren't too hot on rugby (but that's mainly expats who weren't good enough for the Wallabies or the All Blacks).

Mexico have a decent side and they don't really have a tradition of "contact sports" unless ofcourse it might be American-Mexicans. The US and Canada will obviously have strong sides and Australia are regulars (maybe owing to their Aussie Rules and Rugby heritage).

But I do echo my sentiments from before and it disappoints me we can't at least have a good enough team to qualify and the university American Football programme and national league setup has been going strong for years and a lot of people playing the game do have experience with Rugby (although admitedly I played very little Rugby in the past).

Why don't we all get training and take GB to the 2015 world cup? hehe.
It isn't on UK Eurosport. Google the IFAF website and follow the links to the official world cup site and watch the live coverage there.

Failing that sign up for the email service and have the results sent to you daily including post match analysis.

How did the Japanese get so good at American Footy? I mean they're not all short they have some over 180cm tall and there are a few short people one at 161cm (I read the stats on the website) but they seem to have something on the sport we don't here in the UK when on paper e.g. uni/national setup, physical attributes, rugby heritage. you'd expect us to at least muster up a decent side. Then again the Japanese aren't too hot on rugby (but that's mainly expats who weren't good enough for the Wallabies or the All Blacks).

Mexico have a decent side and they don't really have a tradition of "contact sports" unless ofcourse it might be American-Mexicans. The US and Canada will obviously have strong sides and Australia are regulars (maybe owing to their Aussie Rules and Rugby heritage).

But I do echo my sentiments from before and it disappoints me we can't at least have a good enough team to qualify and the university American Football programme and national league setup has been going strong for years and a lot of people playing the game do have experience with Rugby (although admitedly I played very little Rugby in the past).

The GB Lions is a very poorly-run team right now, they were much better in the past. A combination of lack of talent, poor organisation and other European squads being better than us leads to us not qualifying.

Japan are good as they are obsessed with American sports culture, they are also very good at baseball. Japan is also a very popular emigration destination for Americans, no doubt some decent coaches will be amongst those who arrived. The Japanese on the whole are not a big race but they sure as hell have enough big people to put on a football field.

Also I don't understand all of this "rugby heritage" stuff, rugby has sweet F.A. to do with American football. Before somebody says it's high contact, yes it is but if you tackle like you should in rugby whilst playing AF then you are tackling very poorly indeed. AF is a game of inches and if you just hang onto a guy's legs until he falls over like you do in rugby then you may have just lost your team a crucial three yards. If your man doesn't go backwards when you hit him then you're doing it wrong. The exception to this rule is if you are the last man between the ball carrier and a TD, if this is the case then just get him down however you can!

All other aspects of rugby are nigh on irrelevant, other than kicking and generic tackler evasion for those unlike me who are inclined to touch the ball.

We do have a national set-up here, the GB Lions but it's just terribly run. I can't speak for Seniors but the youth team is a shambles. There's so much talent around but the coaches don't really ever evaluate, they just pick the kids that play for the London and Bristol teams and that's about it! I was involved with it last year and dare I say it, it's a little corrupt! I don't think they're in existence this year though, due to funding.

If we had a strong national set up, we could easily compete at these international tournaments. We have one of the biggest league set-ups outside of North America and there is A LOT of talent out there; it's just a shame we don't have the development scheme to match. What a lot of people are doing is paying to study at USAF base high schools so they can integrate themselves into the US college system.
Original post by The Patriot
Loads of people just randomly find this thread haha! Glad to have another member :L There is a society/group if you can be bothered... It should be on the OP....

I started on madden 08, so you're a more seasoned fan than me :L

And I have that flag on my wall! Ever been to see the bucs?

I've not been out of the country so not been to see them. :p:

If they come to Wembley any time soon I may venture though. I was hoping to join our Uni's American Football team next year, but breaking my ankle and leg over Easter has put paid to that. :sad:
Original post by marcusmerehay
I've not been out of the country so not been to see them. :p:

If they come to Wembley any time soon I may venture though. I was hoping to join our Uni's American Football team next year, but breaking my ankle and leg over Easter has put paid to that. :sad:

The Bucs played at Wembley in 2009 and they are returning this year, if the NFL season goes ahead.

Latest