The Student Room Group

TSR Economics society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
Does anyone have any recommendations for books regarding globalisation?

I started reading Stiglitz's "Globalization and Its Discontents" when I was writing my PS, though I still have the bookmark in it near the start so it doesn't look like I got through much of it. :tongue:
Reply 881
Original post by alex_hk90
I started reading Stiglitz's "Globalization and Its Discontents" when I was writing my PS, though I still have the bookmark in it near the start so it doesn't look like I got through much of it. :tongue:

I'll look into it, but you haven't really sold it to me. :colondollar:

I feel like I need to do more reading for my PS, I'm just not sure where it's going anymore. :s-smilie:
Original post by Groat

It was the first economics book to truly trigger my interest in the subject; it was an easy way to cover non-A-level stuff and pretend I'm clever when I understood it (:colondollar:) and it pretty much turned me Keynesian.
It is a very good book.
Reply 883
Original post by Markleberry
It was the first economics book to truly trigger my interest in the subject; it was an easy way to cover non-A-level stuff and pretend I'm clever when I understood it (:colondollar:) and it pretty much turned me Keynesian.
It is a very good book.

That's a bit better! I'll look into it.

Buying all these books is becoming really expensive. :cry2:
Groat

Bhagwati > Stiglitz. Also Wolf is good. As is Cowen - from a different perspective (cultural).

On the flip side, Ha-Joon Chang is, according to Wolf himself, the most serious critic of globalisation (I think he said free trade but I will use both words interchangeably). Rodrik's perhaps another one.

I don't know whether Sen's book can be classified as a book on globalisation but it has to do with what are trade and development good for (the answer lies in the title of the book :biggrin:).

It's so dry, I remember reading it for my PS. Was quite a struggle to finish.

Original post by Groat

Collier is pretty great, Easterly is also decent (with opposite viewpoints). I really enjoyed Ha-Joon Chang's stuff as well.
Original post by Groat

Buying all these books is becoming really expensive. :cry2:

Researching one blog post is going to set me back about £40. It gets worse.
Original post by Markleberry
Researching one blog post is going to set me back about £40. It gets worse.

Do you guys not have public libraries near where you live? If not then you could always buy the books second hand off Amazon Marketplace, then re-sell them once you're done.
Reply 888
Do you guys not have public libraries near where you live? If not then you could always buy the books second hand off Amazon Marketplace, then re-sell them once you're done.

Well I do, but not a big one. Also, I would worry that if I was invited to interview I'd struggle to get hold of a copy again in case they bring it up.

I have 2, but neither have a good economics section.
However, I'm getting access to Newcastle Uni library through the summer hols for my EPQ, so I might find some shizz there.
Reply 890
Original post by Groat

I feel like I need to do more reading for my PS, I'm just not sure where it's going anymore. :s-smilie:

Just as a pointer, I read about 7 books intentionally "for my PS" and I have only mentioned two :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
Just as a pointer, I read about 7 books intentionally "for my PS" and I have only mentioned two :tongue:

I think I mentioned 6 of the 12 or so books I read with my PS in mind. Since then I've come to the conclusion that that was too many and I would've done better to talk about 3 or so in detail.
I think I mentioned 6 of the 12 or so books I read with my PS in mind. Since then I've come to the conclusion that that was too many and I would've done better to talk about 3 or so in detail.

Can't argue with results though :tongue:

But yeah, I agree 6 is too many.
Reply 893

How did you manage that? :O I literally have no room in my PS (as you know) and I'm desperately trying to cut things out and move things around... It obviously wasn't a bad PS considering you recently graduated from Cambridge :wink:
Original post by Tateco
How did you manage that? :O I literally have no room in my PS (as you know) and I'm desperately trying to cut things out and move things around... It obviously wasn't a bad PS considering you recently graduated from Cambridge :wink:

saw you little ucas thing, you should think about bristol :smile:
Reply 895
Original post by Iqbal007
saw you little ucas thing, you should think about bristol :smile:

I prefer Bath to Bristol I think :smile: And it would be one out of the two so Bath trumps :wink:
Original post by Tateco
I prefer Bath to Bristol I think :smile: And it would be one out of the two so Bath trumps :wink:

:smile:
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Can't argue with results though :tongue:

But yeah, I agree 6 is too many.

They obviously gave me the benefit of the doubt. :h:

Original post by Tateco

I only had about a line on each of the books - some were literally mentioned in passing IIRC (I don't dare look at my PS as it really wasn't great) - and I think there were so overly general statements combined with book-dropping (ugh).
Reply 898
Original post by Iqbal007
:smile:

Where did you end up firming and insuring in the end? I remember seeing you posting in some threads earlier this year :smile:
Original post by Tateco

and try to get some releveant work experience this summer

Quick Reply

Latest