The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eldedu
My unique life experience and global perspective. Studying politics, philosophy and economics is a logical decision for me, considering I've been exposed to the importance of and connection between politics and economics through having lived in, amongst others, Castroist Cuba (one of my earliest memories is the noticing the difference between the diplomatic supermarket and the miserable rations shack ordinary Cubans had to make do with and wondering why) and Mugabe's Zimbabwe in the early noughties (witnessed one power-hungry man bring the most prosperous country in Southern Africa to it's knees in just a few years). Economics and politics aren't just abstract subjects to me, they're very real and very important parts of my life.

As for philosophy, I find it interesting and am fairly eloquent and so can make observations that sound moderately insightful/thoughtful with decent regularity. :tongue:

The first paragraph is what I'm thinking of building my PS around, I'd love to hear my fellow Oxonians perspectives.

Maybe I should work on selling myself without sounding like such a ****.

Well, maybe :wink: But they don't want false modesty, to be fair. Just remember to keep the whole life experience thing to a minimum because you want to be focusing on stuff like books you've read :smile: That's all I can say, but I'm no expert, and it's better to write one that sounds like you, rather than everyone else!

Sorry about not replying to your cute message yesterday, I went to bed :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
Yes, I suppose it could be :tongue:

There isn't a lot of this kind of stuff that you can write for maths :dontknow:
Original post by dnumberwang

Yes, I was thinking about that! What are you putting in your PS?
Original post by punctuation

-_- Don't worry, there have been three different photos of St John's rotating as my wallpaper over the past few weeks. I can't help it, it's too beautiful. *cry*

You think that's bad, I MADE my screensaver out of pictures that I took :tongue:

But....they're so pretty :colondollar:

You could always solve one of the Millennium Prize Problems :wink: :lol: :lol:
Reply 3005
Well, maybe :wink: But they don't want false modesty, to be fair. Just remember to keep the whole life experience thing to a minimum because you want to be focusing on stuff like books you've read :smile: That's all I can say, but I'm no expert, and it's better to write one that sounds like you, rather than everyone else!

Sorry about not replying to your cute message yesterday, I went to bed :tongue:

Yeah I was just hoping I could substitute the life experience thing for the books to avoid presenting the generic PS they get a thousand times over. But I suppose it became generic for a reason.

No problem, sleeping is great I don't blame you :tongue:
God how I miss sleeping.
Original post by Eldedu
Yeah I was just hoping I could substitute the life experience thing for the books to avoid presenting the generic PS they get a thousand times over. But I suppose it became generic for a reason.

No problem, sleeping is great I don't blame you :tongue:
God how I miss sleeping.

I really like the Cuba thing though.
Reply 3007
I really like the Cuba thing though.

I'll keep that then :smile:
Original post by Eldedu
I'll keep that then :smile:

imo it's much nicer than "From a young age I had always found the structure of the British government fascinating" or something...
Original post by Niki_girl
You think that's bad, I MADE my screensaver out of pictures that I took :tongue:

I don't think you'll want to hear of me after my trip! I'll be taking thousands of photos, I swear. O_O It doesn't help that I'll be bringing my laptop, so I can upload the photos, clear my camera, take another few hundred, upload, rinse and repeat. :eek:

I'll definitely post anything interesting I find here though! There will be lots for me to read and catch up on during my trip. :biggrin:
On another note, does anyone here get really random PMs from people and think "where did you FIND me?" I never get PMs from girls! Only random guys saying rather odd things! A few weeks ago there was a Durham graduate who got really pissed off at me when I wouldn't reply within two seconds, a random German, and just in the last few minutes a guy who actually used this :sexface: in his message, and another guy asking me to teach him "sexy German"! Does anyone else get this!?!?
Yes, I was thinking about that! What are you putting in your PS?

Stuff on problem solving, proofs, what I've found interesting in some books I've read (trying to bull**** as little as possible, and doing quite well at that I think :biggrin: ).

Then there's academic rubbish about self teaching the whole A Level course and getting beasty UMS, and how I always ace the UKMT Maths challenges :tongue:

I need to read some more books to fill a big gap in my PS :colondollar:
I listed a few books I wanted to read, got them from the library and they've turned out to be HUGE :facepalm2:

Original post by Niki_girl

Worcester in the foreground :colone:

Original post by manic_fuzz
You could always solve one of the Millennium Prize Problems :wink: :lol: :lol:

I could solve them in my sleep, I just want to give all the lesser mathematicians of the world a chance to be famous , tbh
I don't think you'll want to hear of me after my trip! I'll be taking thousands of photos, I swear. O_O It doesn't help that I'll be bringing my laptop, so I can upload the photos, clear my camera, take another few hundred, upload, rinse and repeat. :eek:

I'll definitely post anything interesting I find here though! There will be lots for me to read and catch up on during my trip. :biggrin:

When are you going to Oxford again? You def will have to share your photos with us :biggrin:

On another note, does anyone here get really random PMs from people and think "where did you FIND me?" I never get PMs from girls! Only random guys saying rather odd things! A few weeks ago there was a Durham graduate who got really pissed off at me when I wouldn't reply within two seconds, a random German, and just in the last few minutes a guy who actually used this :sexface: in his message, and another guy asking me to teach him "sexy German"! Does anyone else get this!?!?

Who doesn't. The weird thing is, even guys do that to ME :tongue: . That is quite weird, they apparently don't really have a social life at all :wink: btw.: Keine Lust mehr auf mich, wa? :tongue:

I could solve them in my sleep, I just want to give all the lesser mathematicians of the world a chance to be famous , tbh

:wink: oh of course, how silly of me to think otherwise! :tongue:
Stuff on problem solving, proofs, what I've found interesting in some books I've read (trying to bull**** as little as possible, and doing quite well at that I think :biggrin: ).

Then there's academic rubbish about self teaching the whole A Level course and getting beasty UMS, and how I always ace the UKMT Maths challenges :tongue:

I listed a few books I wanted to read, got them from the library and they've turned out to be HUGE :facepalm2:

Worcester in the foreground :colone:

2 days ago I found out that a relative of mine (a cousin) applied to Oxford last year for Maths. They also told her back then that the PS is not very important for Maths like in other subjects because the academic achievements and the teacher's reference (and of course the Maths aptitude test) are the most important things. :wink: so don't worry

Wow, that's really impressive! Christ, I self-taught C2 and that was enough for me... Very impressed at your lack of BSing. Bet it'll be really interesting :biggrin:

Original post by nightmare91

Who doesn't. The weird thing is, even guys do that to ME :tongue: . That is quite weird, they apparently don't really have a social life at all :wink: btw.: Keine Lust mehr auf mich, wa? :tongue:

What do you mean? I can't talk in German on here which is really limiting, so just write on my profile or something if you're that desperate.
Original post by nightmare91
When are you going to Oxford again? You def will have to share your photos with us :biggrin:

Second week of August. I'm leaving on the 6th! YAY!!! I have an itinerary all typed up. :wink: I'm planning to visit the Sherlock Holmes museum after checking into my hotel, then maybe go to the National Gallery or some other typical tourist attraction. :dontknow: Then on Monday the whole day's reserved for Oxford, Tuesday hopefully the DW experience and other touristy stuff, UCL the whole day Wednesday, Thursday some other business, and then off to Paris on the train in the afternoon. :biggrin:

GO OXFORD GO

My hotel is literally across the street from UCL. Google Maps says a 20 second drive to the centre. :lol:

What do you mean? I can't talk in German on here which is really limiting, so just write on my profile or something if you're that desperate.

You can write in German if you provide a spoilered translation underneath :smile:
Second week of August. I'm leaving on the 6th! YAY!!! I have an itinerary all typed up. :wink: I'm planning to visit the Sherlock Holmes museum after checking into my hotel, then maybe go to the National Gallery or some other typical tourist attraction. :dontknow: Then on Monday the whole day's reserved for Oxford, Tuesday hopefully the DW experience and other touristy stuff, UCL the whole day Wednesday, Thursday some other business, and then off to Paris on the train in the afternoon. :biggrin:

GO OXFORD GO

My hotel is literally across the street from UCL. Google Maps says a 20 second drive to the centre. :lol:

Wow what a plan :biggrin: sounds great :smile: btw, are you going all by yourself?
Original post by Zoedotdot
You can write in German if you provide a spoilered translation underneath :smile:

Yes, but I feel like such an idiot doing that :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending