The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stowa & Hermes
OK, guys I may have lied slightly. Thought best to say now as its gone a bit out of hand. Me and my Dad are actually starting a Materials consulting firm for engineering, and considering a clothing consultancy subsidiary. Was just wondering as to peoples views on an incoherent and inconsistent wardrobe. As bankers are typically obsessed with looking good. Admittedly I was hoping for more market research but I'll live. Cheers everyone.

Lol.
Original post by Ross Johnson
Lol.

Dont own a pair of Hermes loafers and never will. Was suprised that I didnt get any grief for that though I mean cmon, HERMES LOAFERS. Tbh the lack of negative reaction to that was research enough.
Dont own a pair of Hermes loafers and never will. Was suprised that I didnt get any grief for that though I mean cmon, HERMES LOAFERS. Tbh the lack of negative reaction to that was research enough.

Lol, keep digging son.
Reply 1203

'Cause the 2 specific negative comments about Hermes was no grief?
I think the excesses of watches in IB are an absolute disgrace. A fitted bespoke suit and top end CT shirts always look good and you can have your Hermes ties but anything more than £500 on a watch is overstated. I am buy side btw.
Reply 1205
I just want to keep track of what people are buying in this thread :h:
Hi, what type of shoes should I get? I'm not sure I am the right level to wear a certain type so I didn't want to do buying my suit wrong?

any help?
Original post by chrislpp
Hi, what type of shoes should I get? I'm not sure I am the right level to wear a certain type so I didn't want to do buying my suit wrong?

any help?

Black Oxford Lace Up Brogues... that are comfortable.

I wouldn't skimp out on shoes as if you get an uncomfortable pair you'll be in agony. The thing with a lot of the good shoes is that they're all quite understated; I wore Church's during my internship and will continue to wear them for a many number of years - they are quite pricey (although I got mine at an outlet store so saved a lot) so long as they're classic I don't think you can go wrong.
Reply 1208

any help?

Erm, plain black ones? Any type of standard, formal, plain black shoes would be fine, just avoid anything majorly showy (ie. with tassles, made of croc, with big metal bits of bling, etc.). Go for Oxfords if you want to be formal, monks or wholecuts if you want to be formal but a little different, brogues or half-brogues if you like them, or Derbys if you don't like any of the above. Or just walk into almost any shoe shop and ask for black shoes, as I'm sure you won't go too far wrong.
Original post by Drogue
Erm, plain black ones? Any type of standard, formal, plain black shoes would be fine, just avoid anything majorly showy (ie. with tassles, made of croc, with big metal bits of bling, etc.). Go for Oxfords if you want to be formal, monks or wholecuts if you want to be formal but a little different, brogues or half-brogues if you like them, or Derbys if you don't like any of the above. Or just walk into almost any shoe shop and ask for black shoes, as I'm sure you won't go too far wrong.

Wow, great.

Im' interested in banking? Is there a way to start a bank so i dont just work for another one?

Im' interested in banking? Is there a way to start a bank so i dont just work for another one?

This is the best thing I've read on here in years.

Possibly ever.
Reply 1211
Original post by President_Ben
This is the best thing I've read on here in years.

Possibly ever.

I was thinking the same thing. Though it's another question I'm semi-qualified to answer. Were he not trolling.
At least give the entire post justice.
Original post by whiplash
I think the excesses of watches in IB are an absolute disgrace. A fitted bespoke suit and top end CT shirts always look good and you can have your Hermes ties but anything more than £500 on a watch is overstated. I am buy side btw.

If you've got the money to buy a bespoke suit, why would you not have your shirts made too? You don't get something like that unless you care about your appearance. A ill-fitting shirt looks jarring; it ruins the look.

Fruther, why do you say that £500 is excessive for a watch? I'm not saying the piece is an investment or anything silly like that, but you would expect to last a damn sight longer than any piece of clothing- however well it is made. Why pay >£3-4000 for a suit, but limit yourself to £500 for a watch. That seems silly.
Reply 1214
Original post by Meriwether
If you've got the money to buy a bespoke suit, why would you not have your shirts made too? You don't get something like that unless you care about your appearance. A ill-fitting shirt looks jarring; it ruins the look.

If you're wearing a suit, you don't notice the shirt. It's the one bit you can get away with skimping on (well, that and the watch). Sure, a shirt in the wrong size can look jarring, but a shirt that fits fine won't. You don't want your shirt to be tight-fitting, so there's a lot more leeway than in a suit, where you want the jacket to be appropriately waisted and have the right level of curve in the chest, the trousers to not require a belt and be the right length, etc.

Sure, if you have lots of money then have bespoke shirts, but there's a pretty wide range of incomes where I'd consider it worth having bespoke suits but not worth paying for bespoke shirts. Since you need 10+ shirts, bespoke gets pretty expensive.

Fruther, why do you say that £500 is excessive for a watch? I'm not saying the piece is an investment or anything silly like that, but you would expect to last a damn sight longer than any piece of clothing- however well it is made. Why pay >£3-4000 for a suit, but limit yourself to £500 for a watch. That seems silly.

Because a bespoke suit will be distinctly better than an OTP one, but a £500 watch will still last decades and look good (if anyone notices). Sure, spending £3-4k on a watch will give you one that will last a lifetime, with a name and perhaps be slightly prettier, but that's not worth the money to me. Yet having a suit that's properly waisted, that moves with you and gives you the best silhouette possible makes enough of a difference to be worth it to me.

I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.

In my view, if you have CT-level shirts, any classic watch, decent silk ties and properly made shoes, it's worth going for a bespoke suit before upgrading any of those. It'll make far more difference than bespoke shirts or an expensive watch. Only when you have the money for Savile Row would I start considering upgrading the rest to be worth the money, and I'd be wanting well into 6 figures before I'd consider £3-4k on a suit to be worth it.
Original post by Drogue
If you're wearing a suit, you don't notice the shirt. It's the one bit you can get away with skimping on (well, that and the watch). Sure, a shirt in the wrong size can look jarring, but a shirt that fits fine won't. You don't want your shirt to be tight-fitting, so there's a lot more leeway than in a suit, where you want the jacket to be appropriately waisted and have the right level of curve in the chest, the trousers to not require a belt and be the right length, etc.

Sure, if you have lots of money then have bespoke shirts, but there's a pretty wide range of incomes where I'd consider it worth having bespoke suits but not worth paying for bespoke shirts. Since you need 10+ shirts, bespoke gets pretty expensive.

Because a bespoke suit will be distinctly better than an OTP one, but a £500 watch will still last decades and look good (if anyone notices). Sure, spending £3-4k on a watch will give you one that will last a lifetime, with a name and perhaps be slightly prettier, but that's not worth the money to me. Yet having a suit that's properly waisted, that moves with you and gives you the best silhouette possible makes enough of a difference to be worth it to me.

I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.

In my view, if you have CT-level shirts, any classic watch, decent silk ties and properly made shoes, it's worth going for a bespoke suit before upgrading any of those. It'll make far more difference than bespoke shirts or an expensive watch. Only when you have the money for Savile Row would I start considering upgrading the rest to be worth the money, and I'd be wanting well into 6 figures before I'd consider £3-4k on a suit to be worth it.

Fair enough. We'll call it a matter of taste. I'm a bit of a fiend for watches.

Where is it that you can get a bespoke suit for £1000 though?!
Reply 1216

Most 'non-brand' tailors will do it for around that price tbf. The cloth won't be as high a quality as a Saville Row suit, but tbph unless you were around cutters etc nobody would be able to tell.
Reply 1217
Original post by Mess.
Most 'non-brand' tailors will do it for around that price tbf. The cloth won't be as high a quality as a Saville Row suit, but tbph unless you were around cutters etc nobody would be able to tell.

This, pretty much. Though you'd be surprised with the cloth, you tend to pay about £100 extra at a non-brand tailor, but most of them have some very high-quality cloth. My last one was a Lessers cloth which costs quite a bit, but my tailor has been using them for years and adds a premium when you choose it to pay for the quality.

There are quite a few around London, mostly a bit out of the centre. My tailor's George on Wightman Road in Harringay. He just has a small shop that's basically a workshop, but he knows his stuff and makes it all himself. I've been very happy with him.

If you take away the rent and sales staff costs from Savile Row, the premium for the brand, you end up with something in the £1-2k range. And since Savile Row customers tend not to be too money conscious, they can and do go the extra mile in ways that aren't really necessary in tailoring. For example apparently it takes 30-50 hours to build a Savile Row suit, whereas most tailors will be spending nearer 20 hour on it. Still a lot of time, hence it's not a cheap thing to buy, but a chunk cheaper for something that only someone so close that you'd really need to know about suits could tell the difference.

Because watches are just a proxy for bonus and rank. A 5K bespoke suit won't look noticeably different to a 1K one or even a £500 one, nor will those Church's brogues - it's largely down to how you carry it. That's all it is isn't it? Can't carry around the penthouse or the R8 Spyder but that Submariner tells everyone who's boss.
(edited 12 years ago)
Jesus. These suits are expensive.

I was once mistaken for a banker wearing my £69 black suit from Burton...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending