The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
:lol: oh you're obviously going to get an interview, and i can imagine you're just going to be insanely happy and euphoric coming to Oxford again :tongue:

If only there was a super obscure subject with a 100% success rate... and i wanted to do that subject :lol: one can dream! :tongue:

Classics has a ~50% success rate. :tongue:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Oooh when i went to Oxford my Physics-student tour-guide went to Merton and told us that it is somewhat true that Merton is very hardworking, but that they obviously still have social lives and all :tongue:

:frown: ah it's disappointing that so many people feel that it'll look stupid if they don't get in, considering so many people don't anyway,

and excited?! more like NERVOUS :redface:

It's just that if everyone knows, then I'll have to go round telling everyone I didn't get in. Also, people don't understand how incredible everyone applying is, and assume I'll get in. If I get an interview I'll join the group (only four and a half months til we find out!)

There once was a girl called Chiara,
Who thought to other app'cants "you are a ---"
So without making fuss
She'd push them under bus
Oh Chiara the Cut-Throat Tiara!

By the way everyone, I've been getting emails from google with people asking for permission to edit the spreadsheet. It should just let you edit if you click the link, is it not working?
Original post by anyone_can_fly
It's just that if everyone knows, then I'll have to go round telling everyone I didn't get in. Also, people don't understand how incredible everyone applying is, and assume I'll get in. If I get an interview I'll join the group (only four and a half months til we find out!)

So without making fuss

By the way everyone, I've been getting emails from google with people asking for permission to edit the spreadsheet. It should just let you edit if you click the link, is it not working?

i think we should all write limericks about ourselves in our personal statements actually
(by the way, that was brilliant :biggrin:)

Original post by dnumberwang
i think we should all write limericks about ourselves in our personal statements actually

I concur.

Actually, the whole thing should just be a few sonnets. Structured to look like a heart.
Reply 3124
so i found an answer to my own question: E&M acceptance rate = 7.8%
holy s***!
interview rate = 30%

and yes, i am ingenious - ca. 11 applicants per place.

edit: further information got thanks to my extreme mathematical skills:
average intake: 85
applicants: ca. 1100
interviews: ca. 330
people depressed after first stage (interviews): ca. 760
people depressed after second stage (offers): unknown
people depressed after second and third stage (offers and meeting conditions): ca. 685
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Classics has a ~50% success rate. :tongue:

Well... i was reading Mythology yesterday and have Latin books... :wink: i'm now a classicist! :lol: :lol:

So without making fuss

:/ ah yeah i see where you're coming from, when i talk about universities people always go 'Oh of course you'll get in, you're you', and things like that, and i'm just like 'i don't think you quite understand... everyone applying has the same, if not better grades than me :tongue:' but ah well,

Liking the poem! :wink:
And it worked for me :smile:

So without making fuss

Mhm, totally with you on having to tell everyone I didn't get in, if I tell them in the first place. Best to tell closest mates only. :wink:

And... I don't know, the spreadsheet seems to require editing permission now? :s-smilie: Maybe someone changed the settings accidentally?
Does anyone know how long we will have to prepare for the interview after being invited to one?
Original post by swiftylol
Does anyone know how long we will have to prepare for the interview after being invited to one?

Sometimes you get interview emails as late as one week prior. So not very long. It's best to just 'prepare' in advance, though there's really no preparation needed. If you're referring to buying train tickets, for example, then yes it is an issue as there's not much time to do so. :s-smilie:
Reply 3129
I just got neg repped by someone in this thread and I don't know why. :frown:

I preferred the old system where at least you got feedback out of it.
Reply 3130
Original post by swiftylol

I bought my airplane ticket about 2 months in advance (to avoid astronomical prices) of the interviews - a bit of a gamble, but it was worth it.... So, the moral is, you have almost no time to prepare, so make all plans and do all "revising" beforehand :biggrin:
Reply 3131
Original post by TurnerE
I bought my airplane ticket about 2 months in advance (to avoid astronomical prices) of the interviews - a bit of a gamble, but it was worth it.... So, the moral is, you have almost no time to prepare, so make all plans and do all "revising" beforehand :biggrin:

16,64 on FB? :eek: Didn't even know that was possible.
How awful would it be if you prepared religiously in case you were offered an interview..... then didn't get one :frown: No no nonononono!
Reply 3133
Original post by LonelySoul193
How awful would it be if you prepared religiously in case you were offered an interview..... then didn't get one :frown: No no nonononono!

Lol I'd be so gutted. Going to prepare anyway not willing to risk it :tongue:
Original post by TurnerE

Also, lots of people say just book the ticket - if you don't get an interview, oh well, you can take a nice vacation. :tongue:

ETA: Doubt I'll do that though. Toronto->London flights early December should be fine. :dontknow: Anyway, my family's the type to book things rather late. Last year my 1 month trip to China was booked about a week or so before I was due to fly out. xD
(edited 12 years ago)
Just to let everyone know: Oxford have updated their page about Pre-interview tests.

Anyone applying for Physics or History ought to take a read. Also international applicants should have a look too.

For UK applicants applying for Classics, Computer Science, Maths or Modern Languages then reading it isn't particularly important (the tests should be arranged automatically for us), but you may be interested to have a look.
Original post by Denzer

Anyway, why is it that (for history at least) Oxford has 4 applicants to each place, Durham has 12:1 and Bristol 15:1? I'd have thought Oxford would be more popular than that, it even has less places than the others?

There's the barrier of "I couldn't possibly get into Oxbridge", whereas Durham and Bristol are good enough that lots of people want to apply there, but lack the fearsome reputation to put people off putting them as an "aiming high" choice on their UCAS application.
Also, there's the slight barrier of having to get an Oxbridge application in before the 15th of October, so some people who would have wanted to apply but who weren't ready in time were caught off guard and therefore unable to apply.
Quick question, but do you guys think that studying at Oxford is in any way significantly pricier than studying at other universities in the UK?
Original post by joan2468

Quick question, but do you guys think that studying at Oxford is in any way significantly pricier than studying at other universities in the UK?

Only if you're an international student (and therefore also pay college fees). For home students it's possibly cheaper because of short terms and the provision of college accommodation for multiple years of yor course.

You might find the following "Myths about Oxford" page interesting - especially No. 2 which is about finance. It's the Computer Science website, but the information is relevant to Oxford (prospective) students across the board. @Fluteflute's point about cheaper accommodation above is correct - it covers this plus a couple of others.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending