The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Oops. :facepalm2:
Watched Lawrence of Arabia last night after putting it off for years. I am an idiot for putting it off at all. It's as good as everyone says it is.
Original post by Christien
Watched Lawrence of Arabia last night after putting it off for years. I am an idiot for putting it off at all. It's as good as everyone says it is.

Maybe I'll stop putting it off as well.

TDKR poster looks good! I get sort of an Inception-y vibe from it. Don't know why really as the two films are completely different. Could just be the crumbling buildings. :rolleyes:

Watched Cedar Rapids the other day. A nice little comedy, although I felt it could've been made funnier. Also, seeing Alia Shawkat made me want to watch all of AD again!
Reply 3323
Reply 3324
I actually only just registered the bat shape in the TDKR poster. Yesterday I just saw the crumbling buildings. :facepalm2:

Anyway, I finally watched Fargo today. Great stuff. I still need to re-watch No Country for Old Men - I'm still not getting the distinctiveness of the Coen brothers' film-making that everyone says is there.
Whose is the face in the Batman poster?

Also, to anyone not yet aware of the Movie Madness tournament going on, the first round of voting officially started today: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=654. Last few days to get your predictions in.
Original post by Phalanges
Whose is the face in the Batman poster?

It's yours :|

Spoiler

Original post by cadaeibfeceh

It's yours :|

Spoiler

To the right of where someone circled what they thought was a very blurry Superman logo, there's what looks to me exactly like a little girl's face in white against the building. Although on closer inspection I guess the eyes could just be windows and the mouth could just be a line of the building so it could all be coincidence, but that was one of the first things that jumped out at me when I saw the poster.
Original post by Christien
Hard to get too worked up about it with the Dark Knight Rises trailer hitting this weekend.

I predict 60 seconds of random text shots telling you this is called 'The Dark Knight' and that he needs to 'Rise', a body part of Selina Kyle, Bane sitting in darkness finished off with 30 seconds of the camera slowly panning to the Batman standing still before he jumps off a building and the cape swooshes past to reveal the title.

Teaser trailers for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3329
Original post by G8D
Can someone tell me what's good about A Clockwork Orange?
Watched it a few nights ago and it seemed a bit.. ****.

I liked how surreal it was, especially the public school attitudes of the droogs compared with their "spot of the old ultra-violence".

Watched Brassed Off again. That really is an excellent film. Uses relatively unknown/t.v. actors excellently in the cast. Although it's more of a straight-to-t.v. style of production, the performances and emotion captured within it are indeed excellent. Every member of the cast gives a stirling performance.

McGregor is good, as usual, but Postlethwaite (:rip:) and Stephen Tompkinson steal the show.
Seen the new Dark Knight Rises trailer. As you can expect with a teaser it doesn't show much but interesting anyway. Shows Gordon lying in a hospital bed telling Batman to come back. Shows a flash of Bane and then Bane against Batman as he backs away.

According to WB, it comes out on the 18 July on the net 'officially'.

Transcript

Ra’s Al Ghul (Line from Batman Begins): "If you make yourself more than just a man. If you devote yourself to an ideal. Then you become something else entirely. A legend [can’t make out word], a legend."

Gordon: VERY hard to make out this part. Possibly “You understood me, you...”

Gordon: "We were in this together, and then you were gone. Now this evil rises. The Batman, has to come back."

Bruce: "What if he doesn’t exist anymore?"

Gordon: "He must. He must".

Bad quality teaser if you can't wait till 18th July: http://www.harvestingtv.com/2011/07/dark-knight-rises-teaser-trailer.html

(edited 12 years ago)
Also first proper Sherlock Holmes trailer.

Original post by Jingers
Here's the poster for TDKR:

I HATED Batman Begins but TDK is one of my favourite movies... please let me love this one. Tom Hardy >>>>>>>

Also, some say there's a Superman logo in the poster too:

Top right all I can see is a 90 degree rotation of the Joker's face.
Reply 3333
Top right all I can see is a 90 degree rotation of the Joker's face.

That actually looks about right...

It can't be, though. Can it? :erm:
Reply 3334
I honestly think everyone's seeing what they want to see. Even squinting at it and wanting it to be the Joker's face; it's just a rock with a shadow on it.
Reply 3335
I really need to watch Batman Begins and the Dark Knight rises. I've been put off in the past because I don't like superhero films very much (except The Incredibles).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3336
Original post by Pi!
I really need to watch Batman Begins and the Dark Knight rises. I've been put off in the past because I don't like superhero films very much (except The Incredibles).

Don't be; they're excellent.

Although we have a lot of superhero fans in this thread, I really dislike most superhero films with a passion. I hated Superman and Dare Devil, refused to watch Iron Man or the Fantastic Four and wasn't all that impressed by Kick Ass.

I liked the original Spider Man, but they got increasingly "meh" as the franchise got on.

The Dark Knight, however, is an excellent film whether or not you like superheroes. Despite it being a superhero film, it's almost irrelevant to your enjoyment of the film, it's that layered and interesting. The advantage of The Dark Knight is that all Batman has is technology, and that's all his enemy has, too.

Batman Begins is a little more superhero-y with Ras al-Ghoul (probably how it's spelled) and some of the bending the laws of physics, but it's a lot more realistic and entertaining than the vast majority of superhero films.
Original post by Pi!

To be honest, unlike every other superhero film, Nolan's Batman is the most grounded in reality (ignoring the concept of Batman himself). Besides he's a detective rather than a man embodied with superpowers. The films can carry multiple plot threads, themes, meanings, characters and interweave these really well. The Dark Knight does this in many fantastic ways with Harvey Dent and The Joker which I've just never come across in another superhero film. It goes further by looking at the relationship between The Joker and the Batman and what they are to each other. It's far grittier than any previous superhero film.

Batman Begins is a much more 'enclosed' film but it's really the origin story and it's a well told one. I mirror zjs in that BB feels a bit more superhero-y. The Dark Knight is on a much grander scale and doesn't have as many superhero-y aspects. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was an intelligent film thriller about terrorism and the society at large.

Put it this way: I didn't have much of an interest in comics/superheroes or Batman until Batman Begins. And I still prefer him over Superman and Spiderman. Definitely worth the watch.
Original post by G8D
Recommend me a relatively recent good film to watch please :smile:

Any particular preference of genre or type?

I would definitely watch that film.

Quick Reply