The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Well the training thing is quite alarming as I like to be re-trained to another company's standard and ethics. The interview process was quite good - I like the test, I enjoyed the roleplay [the interview itself was a tad shoddy, I don't think the manager was on the ball that day, so to speak].

The maximum 3% bonus for colleagues and the lower management [i.e. team leaders, CTS] is appalling, not going to lie. Really appalling. This is mainly because I come from the hospitality sector, where the bonus scheme is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE - as a shift manager for JD Wetherspoon, you can walk out with up to 25% bonus of your salary per month as a shift manager, and as a pub manager up to 50% + free meals on shift, and 50% off in any Wetherspoon pub in the country. So compared to this, Sainsbury's doesn't really live up. However, the package as a whole is good enough, and the prospects are great.

What was the induction like for some of you guys? I've read EVERY single page of this thread over the last week, and there's not a whole lot about the induction. One question I am begging for somebody to answer - my induction is 9:30-3:00 on Friday - after this, will I settle into my rota straight away? I've already been given my hours, I just want to know how soon it will be that I begin to work them. Need a good pay packet! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I did the induction over two days 9-6 ish. The first day was pretty much filling in paperwork and watching more DVDs, with a store tour at some stage. The second day involved a bit more paperwork in the morning (including an exam but we practically did it together so there was no way to fail) and then we went to help out on the shop floor after lunch. Its pretty boring tbh but if you're only doing it over one day it shouldn't be too bad.
After the induction I did a day checkout training and then I started my rota properly. What department are you on?
Reply 8922
Well I am based in a Sainsbury's Local, where my duties will differ significantly [so I was told during my interview] from that of a supermarket team leader. I was told I'd be deputising a couple of times per week, which I'm excited about.

I just hope that I'll be pushed straight into my working contract [of 39 hours per week], God knows I need the money!
Reply 8923
training for the CTS isn't the most exciting thing, the workbooks you have to work through are a pain, biggest workbook you do is retail law and managing dept food safety around 48 pages each, although the majority of the booklet are blank areas for you to write in. Some areas of retail law book was quite interesting though, but still boring to go through, also makes you nervous if you'd be able to remember the procedure when certain scenarios come up.

im not even a CTS, been through the workbooks then stopped my training.
Original post by WDooley1
Well I am based in a Sainsbury's Local, where my duties will differ significantly [so I was told during my interview] from that of a supermarket team leader. I was told I'd be deputising a couple of times per week, which I'm excited about.

I just hope that I'll be pushed straight into my working contract [of 39 hours per week], God knows I need the money!

The roles are quite different, and there is also alot more training for a Convenience CTS. On your induction you will sign forms and watch alot of short videos about health and safety, legal and compliance and customer service. Then once you start your role properly you will have to do quite a few workbooks and go on quite a few courses. If you are running your store late night (deputising) there is a plan for that you have to complete as well. Its a challenge but you will never be bored at work!
Reply 8925
Original post by inksplodge

Original post by inksplodge
you should get holiday pay, apparently its like 1 day a month or something

Thanks for the response
Reply 8926
Original post by xangelinax

Original post by xangelinax
Yeah you should get a few days holiday, I worked temp from october to jan and had like 30 hours holiday. Obviously it depends on the hours you are doing.

And thanks to you too.

Cheers
Reply 8927
Original post by davireland
The roles are quite different, and there is also alot more training for a Convenience CTS. On your induction you will sign forms and watch alot of short videos about health and safety, legal and compliance and customer service. Then once you start your role properly you will have to do quite a few workbooks and go on quite a few courses. If you are running your store late night (deputising) there is a plan for that you have to complete as well. Its a challenge but you will never be bored at work!

Oh sounds immense! :biggrin: I can't wait to start, dreading the early starts though haha. My shifts are:

TUES - 6am-2pm
WEDS - 6am-2pm
THUR - 6am-2pm
FRID - 1pm-10pm
SATU - 2pm-10pm

Means I have to be up at 4:30 on my 6am starts! lol.
Reply 8928
Hello again,

I have now handed in my notice, and was wondering what would happen with regards to my holiday pay in the final salary.

As I understand it will be pro rated to the amount of completed weeks in the year (so 1 period = 1/13 of the years entitlement), less any taken. Is this correct?

Also, what about the RGS entitlement. As this would be based on last years overtime, should I get paid all of this or will that to be pro rata?

Thanks in advance
Reply 8929
If you're still within your probationary period, then holiday entitlement will differ, although you should still be entitled to some. With regards to RGS, this only counts [so I've discovered from reading about it] if you have worked more than one year or over two tax periods for the company - that's how I understand it, maybe wrong though. I'd ask your HR officer about your entitlement
Hi,

I'd imagine the answers no, but does anyone know if it is possible to arrange overtime at another local store if yours has none available?
Reply 8931
Original post by WDooley1
If you're still within your probationary period, then holiday entitlement will differ, although you should still be entitled to some. With regards to RGS, this only counts [so I've discovered from reading about it] if you have worked more than one year or over two tax periods for the company - that's how I understand it, maybe wrong though. I'd ask your HR officer about your entitlement

I've been there nearly 6 years
Reply 8932
Original post by Robbie89
I've been there nearly 6 years

My word, that's an awfully long time! Lol
Original post by mug51
training for the CTS isn't the most exciting thing, the workbooks you have to work through are a pain, biggest workbook you do is retail law and managing dept food safety around 48 pages each, although the majority of the booklet are blank areas for you to write in. Some areas of retail law book was quite interesting though, but still boring to go through, also makes you nervous if you'd be able to remember the procedure when certain scenarios come up.

im not even a CTS, been through the workbooks then stopped my training.

I'm just finished my training to become a runner on checkouts just now, the service desk booklet is at least 90 pages. :frown:
Hi folks, got a bit of a query here.

Been working for Sainsburys (for the third time in my life lol) for around 11 weeks now on counters.

I work week one, thursdays fridays and saturdays and week two, sundays mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays....effectively this means I work for 7 days straight and am off for seven days straight.

I agreed to my hours because they are great and because they are the right amount of hours for me, I don't need any more than what I'm working to live comfortably at the moment. This allows me on my seven days off to organise things and plan events, continue with my home studies and generally still have a life!

Now the previous occasions I worked for sainsburys were in another store at university, they were great with my contracted hours, didn't change them without asking and would often phone and ask if I could do overtime which if I was free I was happy to do.

My new store is well, very different. Although I'm enjoying the work, the way they have of doing the schedules and rotas is getting me down and making me want to walk away.

The team leader chops and changes my hours on my contracted hours all the time, without asking me to see if this suits me or having me agree/sign something to say so. This makes arranging public transport to and from work very difficult as I live 18miles from the store. Even when I note down the changed hours they can change as quickly as a day beforehand and if this occurs on a day when I'm off then...how am I to know my hours have changed? They never even phone me to ask or tell me. I have never once received a phone call from them for any reason whatsoever - I find it odd given how often my old store called me.

This happened on wednesday when I went in for a 9-3shift to be told I was meant to be doing 10-4...sure enough looked at the rota to find it scribbled out and my new hours written in. My manager and both the department team leaders had gone off on holiday leaving the department without leadership (against company policy in itself you would think?). I worked my 9-3 as I had plans though this caused some friction between other staff who although they had been there as long as me were trying to impose their authority over me because me doing 10-4 would have suited them more.

Now before I left work yesterday I saw that I've been stuck down to work next wednesday.... this is my uncontracted wednesday and is also my birthday night out - I have guests from as far away as Northern Scotland coming for it, so cancelling is not really an option as flights are booked and paid for.

On top of this with the hours they've given me on thursday friday and saturday don't add up to my contracted amount.... along with the wednesday added in they do.

So I have an extra36 mile round trip to do, which will cost me in either bus fares or my dads petrol plus I'm supposed to miss out on my birthday party to make up my contracted amount :frown: My birthday is actually on the friday so I planned the party early so as not to clash with work.

I just wish work would show the same consideration for me! Can anyone advise me on what to do about this?!...

I was not asked if it would be ok to come in that day and so certainly didn't agree to it. My manager and team leaders were both still off when I finished yesterday and after HR told me they were the only people who could sort it out I left a note with a trustworthy colleague asking them to call me today as one of them is due back to work today.

I've not received any call and have a bad feeling they won't bother their backsides...

Any advice on what i should do at all would be most welcome, surely it's breach of contract or something... bearing in mind I've not finished probation I'm anxious about rocking the boat before I hear if I'm being kept on but I am adamant I will not be treated like a doormat.

sorry for the length of this post! McHoneybee xxx
Original post by mchoneybee

sorry for the length of this post! McHoneybee xxx

have you tried phoning work today to see if they are in? try phoning and explaining that you cant work the wednesday.
Reply 8936
i would give them a call up rather than wait for them to call you.

edit: beaten to it by 7 mins lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8937
Sainsbury’s workers in pay protest
Workers from Sainsbury's stores across the UK have staged a protest outside the firm's annual general meeting in central London in a row over pay.......

http://www.theappointment.co.uk/news/?id=7153
I'm about to do that but any insight into the legalities of what they're doing with my hours without asking?
when they say "applicants must live within 5miles of the store" are they serious?

I worked for Sainsburys for 2 years before i went to Uni and the store i worked at was around 9miles away and i still got there fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending