The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
any unofficial mark schemes?
Original post by mulley
any unofficial mark schemes?

yeah a teacher made a separate thread for it though, the links in this one somewhere.
Reply 1482
http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2011/item_027.html

A2 Level Physics (Unit G485)

Error: Correct value of plate separation in the diagram was inconsistent with the value given in text

OCR has adapted the mark scheme to give full credit for methods using either value, for both the 'show that' calculation and any subsequent parts where the incorrect value may have been used. We will use statistical data to monitor candidate performance in this question and to check whether performance in subsequent questions was affected. If you are completing your A Level Physics this summer, OCR will inform UCAS that you took this paper.
Original post by t112
http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2011/item_027.html

Error: Correct value of plate separation in the diagram was inconsistent with the value given in text

OCR has adapted the mark scheme to give full credit for methods using either value, for both the 'show that' calculation and any subsequent parts where the incorrect value may have been used. We will use statistical data to monitor candidate performance in this question and to check whether performance in subsequent questions was affected. If you are completing your A Level Physics this summer, OCR will inform UCAS that you took this paper.

Wonder if that will have much of an effect. I personally skipped that question as it didnt look too nice and I was behind on time due to the SUVAT questions.
There is a special report on Radio 4 at 8 O'clock tonight on exam errors, and im led to believe this exam is raised in it
Reply 1485
what about the other error, there were two in this paper?
Original post by *Holly*
what about the other error, there were two in this paper?

There was the inconsistent SI unit in the text and diagram in q.3, what was the other one???
Reply 1487
Original post by mann4leeds
There was the inconsistent SI unit in the text and diagram in q.3, what was the other one???

i think there was another error, show that the acceleration is X and the next question asked you to calculate the velocity and the value of acceleration (X) would give you the wrong velocity.
Original post by *Holly*
i think there was another error, show that the acceleration is X and the next question asked you to calculate the velocity and the value of acceleration (X) would give you the wrong velocity.

I faintly remember this. As it wanted the velocity wouldn't you have to use the H-velocity and V-velocity to get an overall velocity using Pythagoras. I managed to get something out right somehow.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I faintly remember this. As it wanted the velocity wouldn't you have to use the H-velocity and V-velocity to get an overall velocity using Pythagoras. I managed to get something out right somehow.

You're correct,

H was given, V was worked out, then pythagoras
Original post by jammydav93
You're correct,

H was given, V was worked out, then pythagoras

Wonderful :flutter:
Reply 1491
does anyone know what happened about some people being given extra time for the error?
Original post by *Holly*
does anyone know what happened about some people being given extra time for the error?

Ocr are not giving them special consideratiom for time lost due to the error, however everyone else who didnt have extra time is getting that. At least thats what our exams officer told us after ringing them
Reply 1493

When the examining team met to standardise the marking of this paper, due allowance was made in the mark scheme to give full credit to candidates who had either used the plate separation values as quoted in centimetres or metres.

A detailed research of statistical data comparing the performance of candidates taking this paper with the same unit in June 2010 was carried out before the award took place. In particular, comparisons were made of performance in a similar question from June 2010 to that containing the error in June 2011.

The outcome of this research clearly demonstrated that the error in the 2011 paper had not adversely affected candidates as a whole. Nevertheless, separate statistical analysis was carried out on candidates understood to be at risk of receiving an inappropriate grade.

In the award, where the grade boundaries were chosen, attention was given to ensure that the performance in G485 was as well aligned as possible with the performance in the other examined unit from this series, G484. This ensures that the grades awarded in unit G485 will be fair for the candidates as a whole taking this uni

Just seen this does this mean they are comparing with you January results what happens if you did crap in January
Original post by jthmpsn

When the examining team met to standardise the marking of this paper, due allowance was made in the mark scheme to give full credit to candidates who had either used the plate separation values as quoted in centimetres or metres.

A detailed research of statistical data comparing the performance of candidates taking this paper with the same unit in June 2010 was carried out before the award took place. In particular, comparisons were made of performance in a similar question from June 2010 to that containing the error in June 2011.

The outcome of this research clearly demonstrated that the error in the 2011 paper had not adversely affected candidates as a whole. Nevertheless, separate statistical analysis was carried out on candidates understood to be at risk of receiving an inappropriate grade.

In the award, where the grade boundaries were chosen, attention was given to ensure that the performance in G485 was as well aligned as possible with the performance in the other examined unit from this series, G484. This ensures that the grades awarded in unit G485 will be fair for the candidates as a whole taking this uni

Just seen this does this mean they are comparing with you January results what happens if you did crap in January

:smug:
Wonderful, I got an E in G484 so im ****ed.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Wonderful, I got an E in G484 so im ****ed.

They can't base your mark for this paper on your performance on one question (which you may have got right in spite of the error) particularly as it wasn't worth that much.

I didn't actually notice the mistake and we weren't given extra time so I just want to be judged by my performance in this paper. (btw I got full UMS in the Jan exam)
Original post by Got the tshirt
They can't base your mark for this paper on your performance on one question (which you may have got right in spite of the error) particularly as it wasn't worth that much.

I didn't actually notice the mistake and we weren't given extra time so I just want to be judged by my performance in this paper. (btw I got full UMS in the Jan exam)

I skipped that question, it didnt look that nice and I was already behind on time due to the particle motion in electric fields questions.
I'm fuarked. I need atleast 108/150 =(
What does this change actually mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending