The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Tateco
You've just won the lottery (£25mil)... would you still do an economics degree?

apply for deferred entry instead and go travelling :tongue:.
Tateco
x

Groat
x

Hemzo
x

Psychotic546
x

jamiepango
x

thegenius31416
x

Quoted you all because you're the top 6 posters in the thread :tongue: but others feel free to help me out.

I'm currently lobbying for an Economics board, the thread can be found here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1684234.

I'd really like to raise the level of Economic debate in TSR and I think it would be best achieved with a separate forum in which to discuss purely economic threads, of which I think there are many in TSR. For that I think we need a new forum.

Oh and there might be a few +5rep's in it for those who post.. bonus marks if you quote S-man 10 :crown:
Original post by gradjobplease
Quoted you all because you're the top 6 posters in the thread :tongue: but others feel free to help me out.

I'm currently lobbying for an Economics board, the thread can be found here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1684234.

I'd really like to raise the level of Economic debate in TSR and I think it would be best achieved with a separate forum in which to discuss purely economic threads, of which I think there are many in TSR. For that I think we need a new forum.

Oh and there might be a few +5rep's in it for those who post.. bonus marks if you quote S-man 10 :crown:

I'd love to get involved :flutter:

Hmm, there is a TSR Economics Society, which is not active at all - maybe you could try reviving that first? :smile:
Reply 1184

Done :tongue: I'm sure I already posted a response in that thread before :tongue:
Original post by alex_hk90
Hmm, there is a TSR Economics Society, which is not active at all - maybe you could try reviving that first? :smile:

I would, but don't you think it's a bit reductionist to try and fit all of Economics into one thread? Economics is such a broad subject, as you can see by all the threads I've quoted within the suggestion board.

You wouldn't have a "History" thread or a "Religion" thread. If you don't feel you have anything to add to the current topic of disucssion within the thread, you're not going to post in it.

By the way everyone, I've run out of rep for today, but rest assured you'll get it tomorrow if you've posted in the thread!
I would, but don't you think it's a bit reductionist to try and fit all of Economics into one thread? Economics is such a broad subject, as you can see by all the threads I've quoted within the suggestion board.

Yes, but it might be difficult to convince the Mods that we need our own subforum when the thread we do have isn't exactly bursting at the seams.
Reply 1187

You wouldn't have a "History" thread or a "Religion" thread. If you don't feel you have anything to add to the current topic of disucssion within the thread, you're not going to post in it.

By the way everyone, I've run out of rep for today, but rest assured you'll get it tomorrow if you've posted in the thread!

I agree, I think there is enough people on here with strong opinions for discussion within a general economics sub-forum. And why shouldn't we have one when Philosophy and History have their own :cool:
Reply 1188

Sounds like a great idea grad, count me in :smile:
Reply 1189
I was quite schocked to hear my school has never got anyone in for Pure Econ at LSE today. We've got dozens in for Pure Econ and Cambridge and UCL but 0 for Pure Econ at LSE. This doesn't bode well for me :frown:. Past applicants have had stellar grades but no success... So yea, even if I get the grades, I don't know whether I'll be applying for Pure Econ or not @ LSE (if not I'll go for a joint course). It seems like a waste of a choice tbh.
Reply 1190
Original post by zxh800
I was quite schocked to hear my school has never got anyone in for Pure Econ at LSE today. We've got dozens in for Pure Econ and Cambridge and UCL but 0 for Pure Econ at LSE. This doesn't bode well for me :frown:. Past applicants have had stellar grades but no success... So yea, even if I get the grades, I don't know whether I'll be applying for Pure Econ or not @ LSE (if not I'll go for a joint course). It seems like a waste of a choice tbh.

I think all schools have poor records at LSE. My school doesn't do too badly with Oxbridge, but with LSE we are notorious for having a small percentage of offers. Don't let that put you off though.

How is the personal statement coming along?
Reply 1191
Original post by Groat
I think all schools have poor records at LSE. My school doesn't do too badly with Oxbridge, but with LSE we are notorious for having a small percentage of offers. Don't let that put you off though.

How is the personal statement coming along?

I haven't started :redface:. My UCAS tutor has been extremely lapse. I really drew the short straw. A couple of my friends have had a super-strict tutor who has pushed them to finish there first draft. She's now butchered there personal statements and given them back!

My subject teachers have been pretty horrible though, they've set 2 Projects (both Economics) and 1 essay all due this week. Seeing as my last exam was C4 2-3 weeks ago. I've barely had time to rest (especially with Extended Project work to juggle as well).

No rest for the wicked eh, I'm going to have a really crap summer. I have a lot of reading to do on my Extended Project and for my Personal statement (as well as writing the bloody thing as well).
Reply 1192
Original post by zxh800
I haven't started :redface:. My UCAS tutor has been extremely lapse. I really drew the short straw. A couple of my friends have had a super-strict tutor who has pushed them to finish there first draft. She's now butchered there personal statements and given them back!

My subject teachers have been pretty horrible though, they've set 2 Projects (both Economics) and 1 essay all due this week. Seeing as my last exam was C4 2-3 weeks ago. I've barely had time to rest (especially with Extended Project work to juggle as well).

No rest for the wicked eh, I'm going to have a really crap summer. I have a lot of reading to do on my Extended Project and for my Personal statement (as well as writing the bloody thing as well).

I'd prioritise the personal statement as much as possible!

We don't do EPQ at my school as it's apparently not highly-regarded by many universities. Have you decided on the topic?

How did C4 go? Where are you hoping to apply?
Reply 1193
Original post by Groat
I'd prioritise the personal statement as much as possible!

We don't do EPQ at my school as it's apparently not highly-regarded by many universities. Have you decided on the topic?

How did C4 go? Where are you hoping to apply?

Yes, the EPQ is useless. Sadly, I found that out after I volunteered to do it. And by then it was too late to pull it out. So I have a 5000 word report to write which I don't really need or want to do. However, the topic itself is interesting. I'll be researching the Impact of the 2010 World Cup on the South African economy.

C4 went relatively poorly. Up till then judging by Arsey's mark schemes I'd done really well on all the other modules. But, during the exam I missed out Q.5 (I blame sticky pages) and only realised with 15 minutes left. At the time I had just started Q.8. So I rushed back and finished Q.5 and then finished Q.8. I ended up making silly mistakes in both those questions meaning I'm relying on my high mark in C3 to get that A*. It'll be touch and go. I took a lot more time than usual on the questions on C4, probably due to nerves which was unusual. I probably felt nervous because it was one of those "This is it" moments where the pressure was on to perform (as it was my last and arguably most important exam).

The mistakes were entirely avoidable if I hadn't missed Q.5 originally and kept a cool head. Damn those sticky pages!
Reply 1194
Original post by zxh800
Yes, the EPQ is useless. Sadly, I found that out after I volunteered to do it. And by then it was too late to pull it out. So I have a 5000 word report to write which I don't really need or want to do. However, the topic itself is interesting. I'll be researching the Impact of the 2010 World Cup on the South African economy.

C4 went relatively poorly. Up till then judging by Arsey's mark schemes I'd done really well on all the other modules. But, during the exam I missed out Q.5 (I blame sticky pages) and only realised with 15 minutes left. At the time I had just started Q.8. So I rushed back and finished Q.5 and then finished Q.8. I ended up making silly mistakes in both those questions meaning I'm relying on my high mark in C3 to get that A*. It'll be touch and go. I took a lot more time than usual on the questions on C4, probably due to nerves which was unusual. I probably felt nervous because it was one of those "This is it" moments where the pressure was on to perform (as it was my last and arguably most important exam).

The mistakes were entirely avoidable if I hadn't missed Q.5 originally and kept a cool head. Damn those sticky pages!

Ah, your EPQ sounds quite interesting, at least! Development economics is a topic I want to read more about in the near future.

I had the same sort of distress in my M1 exam, but I was nervous as it was the first of my exams. I didn't keep a cool head and absolutely lost it. However, looking at the mark scheme now I could potentially get 69/75 which is a credible score, just not to my high standards.

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? Unfortunately, I hear that they'll offer you A*AA excluding Maths A-Level as you've done it early. :frown:
The EPQ doesn't seem useless. I'm doing it and it's quite useful for a personal statement; shows you've done things outside of school work and that you're willing to follow up your interest. Also gives something to discuss in the interview; fair few people I know have had it come up in interview.
Reply 1196
Original post by Groat
Ah, your EPQ sounds quite interesting, at least! Development economics is a topic I want to read more about in the near future.

I had the same sort of distress in my M1 exam, but I was nervous as it was the first of my exams. I didn't keep a cool head and absolutely lost it. However, looking at the mark scheme now I could potentially get 69/75 which is a credible score, just not to my high standards.

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? Unfortunately, I hear that they'll offer you A*AA excluding Maths A-Level as you've done it early. :frown:

Best case scenario is 69/75 on C4 for me lol. That's an optimistic estimate. And yea, I'll be applying for Cambridge if the rest of my AS results pan out. I'm hoping not cashing in the A-level will allow me to still use it in my offer. I'm not sure how exactly it'll work tbh but I hope I can leave it pending in my UCAS form and just have module scores included in the reference or something so they know I've done the A2 modules.

Meh, I'll have to ask around. It would be annoying if the A*AA offer excludes Maths and even more annoying if they want the A* in FM.
Reply 1197
Original post by zxh800
Best case scenario is 69/75 on C4 for me lol. That's an optimistic estimate. And yea, I'll be applying for Cambridge if the rest of my AS results pan out. I'm hoping not cashing in the A-level will allow me to still use it in my offer. I'm not sure how exactly it'll work tbh but I hope I can leave it pending in my UCAS form and just have module scores included in the reference or something so they know I've done the A2 modules.

Meh, I'll have to ask around. It would be annoying if the A*AA offer excludes Maths and even more annoying if they want the A* in FM.

It's great being optimistic! I'm hoping for low grade boundaries across the board for Edexcel Maths - quite a few of the exams I did took longer than usual or had quite a few sneaky questions. 100% in AS-Level Maths would be bliss! I'm so glad I chose Further Maths - I wasn't even that aware it would benefit an Economics application so much.

I must admit that I think Cambridge would piece it all together. You can't say it's pending when you have the module results, I believe? It's better to be honest in your UCAS, else it may come back to haunt you. You'll surely manage an A* in Further Maths, though?
Reply 1198
Original post by zxh800

Dozens for Econ at Cambridge and UCL :O I don't think anyone has ever got into a top 5 for pure econ from my school (that I know of :L)

What combined course would you go for? (Just out of interest)

I agree with Psychotic that the EPQ is quite good for showing your interest in economics and for the personal statement. Luckily I entered the young economist of the year essay competition which is a 2000 word essay on one of the titles they give you, it's a good alternative to the EPQ (I think) and I talk about it quite a lot in my PS.
Original post by Tateco
Dozens for Econ at Cambridge and UCL :O I don't think anyone has ever got into a top 5 for pure econ from my school (that I know of :L)

I think my college will be lucky to even get 1 or 2 students into Oxbridge each year....

Latest

Trending

Trending