The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bax-man
I assume it'll be after results given we've not had anything so far.

Oh, have you joined the Exon. College group on Facebook, Fiona?

Well, I'm not there yet, am I? :wink: Also, I don't really want to know anyone when I arrive. Obviously TSR's compromised that a little bit though, eh?
Reply 2121
Woo, actually got an email from Merton! Admittedly it was just checking they had my personal email address, but at least they haven't forgotten me or anything. :smile:
Kinda silly question I suppose, but if we haven't received our reading lists yet, are we free to relax and read what we want? Or would be it be worthwhile to study a bit anyway? I'm (hopefully) off to do History at Oriel, and I'm considering learning some 17th, 18th and 19th century British history, as this is a (large :P) gap in my knowledge.
Or should I just relax and be in better form for when the reading list does come?
Reply 2123
Original post by laura_bird88
Kinda silly question I suppose, but if we haven't received our reading lists yet, are we free to relax and read what we want? Or would be it be worthwhile to study a bit anyway? I'm (hopefully) off to do History at Oriel, and I'm considering learning some 17th, 18th and 19th century British history, as this is a (large :P) gap in my knowledge.
Or should I just relax and be in better form for when the reading list does come?

I cannot imagine a situation in which learning 17-19th century British history could possibly be a bad thing. That said, why are you treating relaxing and learning as opposites? Get a book or three and read in a comfy chair, or outside in the sun, whenever you feel like.
Original post by dbmag9
I cannot imagine a situation in which learning 17-19th century British history could possibly be a bad thing. That said, why are you treating relaxing and learning as opposites? Get a book or three and read in a comfy chair, or outside in the sun, whenever you feel like.

Haha don't worry, I read History books for fun anyway, I suppose I meant whether it would matter if I didn't manage to be very productive... I don't quite know what I meant now :P Just generally nervous I suppose
Reply 2125
Original post by laura_bird88
Haha don't worry, I read History books for fun anyway, I suppose I meant whether it would matter if I didn't manage to be very productive... I don't quite know what I meant now :P Just generally nervous I suppose

Fair enough, I admit even I've finally succumbed to the 'ask for a reading list' plague (but she emailed me first, so it's not my fault). I haven't done any maths for over a year, so I very much hope you're allowed to be unproductive before the course starts. :p:
Reply 2126
There's learning and there's working; alls I was saying was that learning doesn't have to be working, and it can be relaxing. Course they're not always going to be that way - I did the IB. :p:
Reply 2127
Original post by dbmag9
Fair enough, I admit even I've finally succumbed to the 'ask for a reading list' plague (but she emailed me first, so it's not my fault). I haven't done any maths for over a year, so I very much hope you're allowed to be unproductive before the course starts. :p:

Blehh, if only :frown: We were told to do the problem sheets at
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems
before October. And results aren't even out yet!
Reply 2128
Original post by Mellete
Blehh, if only :frown: We were told to do the problem sheets at
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems
before October. And results aren't even out yet!

Dang, looks like I might actually have something to fill my time with. At least it's not compulsory yet.
Seeing everyone with reading lists is starting to make me feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing at the moment :s-smilie:
Original post by soutioirsim
Seeing everyone with reading lists is starting to make me feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing at the moment :s-smilie:

Same! Apparently Univ Chemists didn't get a reading list last year but I feel so guilty about not doing anything at the moment :frown:
Reply 2131
Original post by Salliana23
Same! Apparently Univ Chemists didn't get a reading list last year but I feel so guilty about not doing anything at the moment :frown:

There's no need to do reading before you get here for chemistry. We were told to read the first chapter or two of Clayden but it's hardly taxing.
Original post by BJack
There's no need to do reading before you get here for chemistry. We were told to read the first chapter or two of Clayden but it's hardly taxing.

Oh that's a relief :smile: thanks!
Original post by dbmag9
Dang, looks like I might actually have something to fill my time with. At least it's not compulsory yet.

i was wondering if it's worth to buy that book...
"Mathematical Techniques"
Reply 2134
Original post by moritzplatz
i was wondering if it's worth to buy that book...
"Mathematical Techniques"

Amazon has the 2002 version used from 10 quid or so, but the 2008 version is nearly 30 quid. :s-smilie:
Reply 2135
Original post by dbmag9

You...asked for a reading list? That's silly. Also, you only do logic for philosophy in your first term, so it's not like you need to read anything for that.
Reply 2136
Original post by Bezzler
You...asked for a reading list? That's silly. Also, you only do logic for philosophy in your first term, so it's not like you need to read anything for that.

Not really; I asked if anything was on its way, and she hasn't replied anyway. It's more my maths that I'm out of practice with anyway.
Original post by dbmag9
Amazon has the 2002 version used from 10 quid or so, but the 2008 version is nearly 30 quid. :s-smilie:

i saw it...
but it says that the used version can't be shipped in italy :frown:
Reply 2138
Original post by moritzplatz
i saw it...
but it says that the used version can't be shipped in italy :frown:

Dang, that probably means it can't be shipped to Germany either. Ah well, no maths book for me.
Reply 2139
Original post by flavius11
Extremely belated response but i'm another hopeful Worcesterite- for Law though :smile:

Hi! Nice to find someone else that I might possibly meet if all goes well :smile: Was Worcester your first choice college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending