The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by crazy1234
Fair play, I'm basically the same as you then, in average GCSEs, but I've started A/S Fm (teaching it to myself) this year hoping that it might help. Yeah I was going to apply Deloitte aswell, but after results. I'm guessing your applying to the other standard ones as well: BoE and Rothschild.
I didn't realise Deloitte were that quick, because when one of the guys came in to talk to us about it, he mentioned an assessment centre and stuff, which I thought would long it out.

Yeah I probably will, but if I get Deloitte I'll just go with that one, such a good package compared to others. Might still apply for the Bank of England one...

Yeah I thought it would be much longer (4 months+) but they get it moving really fast, so I'll know by late august early september hopefully :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Yeah I probably will, but if I get Deloitte I'll just go with that one, such a good package compared to others. Might still apply for the Bank of England one...

Yeah I thought it would be much longer (4 months+) but they get it moving really fast, so I'll know by late august early september hopefully :smile:

Yeah it looks amazing, largely because of all the thing they do after the gap year, also someone who was on it from our school came back to give us a talk and said the actual work you do is pretty good as well compared to all the other schemes.

Good luck for your application :smile:
Reply 1222
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah it looks amazing, largely because of all the thing they do after the gap year, also someone who was on it from our school came back to give us a talk and said the actual work you do is pretty good as well compared to all the other schemes.

Good luck for your application :smile:

Cheers :smile:

You should apply too! Never know, we might both end up on it!
Reply 1223
Five weeks until results, guys! I'm quite excited now. :eek:
Reply 1224
Original post by Groat
Five weeks until results, guys! I'm quite excited now. :eek:

I bet it's going to go so fast :eek: I'll know it's really getting closed when I start feeling ill from nerves :tongue:
I'm not looking forward to results at all. I've seen Bristol let in people with Bs at AS-Level though so *fingers crossed* that even if I do mess up, I'll still have a chance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1226
Original post by Tateco
I bet it's going to go so fast :eek: I'll know it's really getting closed when I start feeling ill from nerves :tongue:

I'm trying not to get nervous this year . . . like that'll work! :colone:

Pembroke's reply:
Successful applicants usually have A-levels in Maths, Economics, plus AS or A2 Further Maths, and maybe another A-level such as an arts subject or a foreign language. An A-level subject where you have needed to write essays is very helpful.

If that helps at all with your choice! :u:

I'm entering my UCAS choices in, because I am so bored!
Reply 1227
Original post by Groat

Emma it is... :colone:
Reply 1228
Original post by thegenius31416
I'm not looking forward to results at all. I've seen Bristol let in people will Bs at AS-Level though so *fingers crossed* that even if I do mess up, I'll still have a chance.

You have 5 so one B isn't bad at all! :smile: You'll be fine don't worry!
Reply 1229
Original post by Groat

What choices are you putting in? :smile: I'm still not at all sure yet :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco

I don't know about Emmanuel. I do think that the University that comes at the top of the Tompkins Table is going to receive a lot of applications for the next year. Of course, you're chance of getting into Cambridge should remain the same (due to the pooling system) but your chance of first choice college will probably reduce I would think (may be wrong though).
Reply 1231
Original post by thegenius31416
I don't know about Emmanuel. I do think that the University that comes at the top of the Tompkins Table is going to receive a lot of applications for the next year. Of course, you're chance of getting into Cambridge should remain the same (due to the pooling system) but your chance of first choice college will probably reduce I would think (may be wrong though).

It came top... that's not going to help competition. Have you got a link to the table?
Original post by Tateco
It came top... that's not going to help competition. Have you got a link to the table?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Table

Basically, this table should bear basically no bearing on which college you choose. It fluctuates a fair amount and also, different types of applicants go to different colleges. Ultimately, all colleges are almost as good as each other really. The unfortunate thing is, a fair number of applicants will use this table when choosing colleges. For this reason, colleges near the top may receive a lot of applications the following year. There's a lot of correlation/causation issues here, but my reasoning I believe does make sense. Emmanuel is often a competitive college though. If you're also happy getting pooled and getting picked up by a newer, out of town college then go for Emma, but if your heart is set on a older central one, maybe don't go for Emma then. Just something to think about.
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Groat

When are you 2 planning to submit your UCAS assuming your both applying to Cambridge? :biggrin:
Reply 1234
Original post by jamiepango
When are you 2 planning to submit your UCAS assuming your both applying to Cambridge? :biggrin:

September 1st :colone:... only joking, not sure yet, it will probably be late September early October? But if everything is done by September 1st then I don't actually see why not :tongue:

thegenius31416, thanks for the link, I'll have to think really carefully about it, luckily I've got ages to survive!
Original post by Tateco
September 1st :colone:... only joking, not sure yet, it will probably be late September early October? But if everything is done by September 1st then I don't actually see why not :tongue:

Same here, I think the majority apply at that time but I hear some submit as soon as they receive their results :eek:

Original post by Groat

Remember that there will be plenty of economists equating the opportunity cost of applying to Emmanuel given its position on the Tompkins Table. :colone:

:laugh:
Reply 1236
Original post by Groat
My internal deadline is 15th September, so whenever my reference is completed after that!

If you look at Economics admissions statistics in particular, there is no evidence to suggest Emmanuel receives more applicants than it should for its size. I agree that on a college level they receive quite a lot of applicants given their size, yet it had the highest number of pool offers from other colleges. If you like Emmanuel, you may as well apply, in my opinion.

Remember that there will be plenty of economists equating the opportunity cost of applying to Emmanuel given its position on the Tompkins Table. :colone:

I think I'm just going to stick with Emma, if I don't get in and do get pooled then I have a pooling recommendation from one of the highly regarded colleges. And then if I don't get in at all then I'm probably not good enough :smile:
Reply 1237
Same here, I think the majority apply at that time but I hear some submit as soon as they receive their results :eek:

To be fair, I will be eager to send mine off so I can stop worrying about the personal statement!
Reply 1238

:O That early?! I thought you could only submit it after September 1st?
Reply 1239
Original post by Groat
To be fair, I will be eager to send mine off so I can stop worrying about the personal statement!

I think I'll be more worried of the prospect that I couldn't edit my PS any more :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending