The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnumberwang

Ah thankyou!! Yeah, it sounds random, but I was just talking about sacrificial offerings in my Goethe essay :tongue:
Original post by manic_fuzz

:wink: there's nothing wrong with loving perfect grammar! :tongue: I have a book on Latin verbs... it's humungous! They love their grammar! Although... i swear all 'examples' refer to fights and empires, it's a shame, nowhere does it show me how to order a cheeseburger :lol: haha!

I have two massive grammar books for Latin and Greek :coma:

That is the truth...in learning Greek I learned the word "I fight a sea battle" (ναυμαχεω) before I learned the word for yes (ναι) :lol:

not sure if you made the Nazi/German language connection...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nightmare91
Hahaha that seems like a great idea for Skype interviews :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Or just have a buddy in the room with a second laptop who sends you the right answers on Skype chat :biggrin: But I think the Tutors are aware of that kind of temptation :tongue:

That second suggestion made me laugh! :lol:

Or you could get someone else to pose as you, wearing a low-brimmed hat and dark glasses... :tongue: You could claim you're sensitive to the light or something, but in reality, it will be an expert on the subject whom you bribed to sit the interview for you! XD
Original post by such_a_lady
Ah thankyou!! Yeah, it sounds random, but I was just talking about sacrificial offerings in my Goethe essay :tongue:

In a Goethe essay? How random :tongue:
Original post by punctuation
That second suggestion made me laugh! :lol:

Or you could get someone else to pose as you, wearing a low-brimmed hat and dark glasses... :tongue: You could claim you're sensitive to the light or something, but in reality, it will be an expert on the subject whom you bribed to sit the interview for you! XD

Hahaha that idea is also great!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Come on, let's write a book about: "10 ways to cheat in an Oxbridge Skype-interview... in a cool way" :biggrin:
Reply 3325
Pssht. I just end up staying up later, I suppose :tongue:

It's not really an exchange for my friend and me; we're just travelling to Ealing every day. Other kids from the EU are coming to stay in London though.

That's sad :frown: I've been to stay with my German exchange twice now, met up with her three times. My new Spanish exchange on the other hand sends me one-word emails...

Well, I usually go out for a run about ninish. Then I get in at halften and spend my allotted nightly few hours on the compy. And I like to go on here as people are interesting.

Ahhh cool. =D

Well, as my French ameliorated and his English improved, the letters (he refused to send emails) got steadily longer but less frequent. In the end it'd be a huge spiel every 4 or 5 months until the day he just couldnt be bothered. And that was the end of that.
Hahaha that idea is also great!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Come on, let's write a book about: "10 ways to cheat in an Oxbridge Skype-interview... in a cool way" :biggrin:

Yay! Let's. :smile: We'll split the money 50/50? :biggrin:
Original post by medbh4805
I have two massive grammar books for Latin and Greek :coma:

That is the truth...in learning Greek I learned the word "I fight a sea battle" (ναυμαχεω) before I learned the word for yes (ναι) :lol:

not sure if you made the Nazi/German language connection...

:biggrin: Oooh i like grammar, but yes, it is rather strange! I don't think i quite plan on fighting any sea battles any time soon

oh... no... i can sometimes be completely oblivious to such things... would it ruin the joke if i laughed now..? :lol: I'll laugh anyway :lol:
Reply 3328
Original post by Lac.
I found http://www.bris.ac.uk/international/study-at-bristol/how-to-apply/eu-quals.html#france, which is brilliant - only place I've found showing the exact equivalence.

cool link, that does clear things up
In a Goethe essay? How random :tongue:

Have you ever read Prometheus? The word Opfersteuern is mentioned :tongue: (for non-Germanists, that's sacrificial offerings)...
I don't think i quite plan on fighting any sea battles any time soon

You, maybe, but I'm heading out for mine tomorrow. :colonhash:
Original post by Eldedu
cool link, that does clear things up

I love seeing the people halfway across the world log on when we ought to be going to bed :tongue:

Just like to point out that I saw your post over in H&R the other day, saying that women like looks, intelligence and a good body, therefore you pride yourself not only on your fabulous conversation but also on your six pack, or words to that effect :lol: It made me giggle!
:biggrin: Oooh i like grammar, but yes, it is rather strange! I don't think i quite plan on fighting any sea battles any time soon

oh... no... i can sometimes be completely oblivious to such things... would it ruin the joke if i laughed now..? :lol: I'll laugh anyway :lol:

Yeah, it's because one usually learns Latin and Greek for the purpose of reading literature, and that is the vocabulary that is useful, especially for prose narratives, political speeches etc e.g. Xenophon, Lysias, Cicero, etc which are the first kind of texts you're likely to deal with (unseen verse translation isn't assessed until A2) so it makes sense if you think of it that way :colonhash:

I should probably just watch less 'Allo 'Allo. :colondollar:
Reply 3333
Seriously considering bringing my new psych textbook to class... not that worried about the weird looks my classmates are bound to give me, more the fact that it's heavy and I already have a chemistry textbook. :frown: I don't have a better time to read it though. I'm finished all my other books, except for crit thinking, and I'm not about to bring that to class! XD I wouldn't be able to concentrate on any of the exercises. :no:

Lol, I used to lug a mobile library into school as I'd always be terrified of free periods where there was no reading material and/or no-one'd play chess or cards with me.

A corner of the common room turned into a storage space for the teetering piles of my books. And you know what? No-one laughed. I think they all just expect it now.:s-smilie:
I love seeing the people halfway across the world log on when we ought to be going to bed :tongue:

Haha, I'm actually used to being on forums with brits, except there would still be handfuls of those from Malaysia or the other half of the world who would stay and chat the night. :wink:

I'm no longer lonely on this forum! :woo:
Reply 3335
Hahaha that seems like a great idea for Skype interviews :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Or just have a buddy in the room with a second laptop who sends you the right answers on Skype chat :biggrin: But I think the Tutors are aware of that kind of temptation :tongue:

I'm not sure for Oxford, but for medicine at higher levels in the UK you actually have a certified person (actual dr with no confilct of interest) sitting in to make sure that the canditate is not wiking anything during the phone interview. Though now I hear that they've done away with phone interviews
Original post by GH
I'm not sure for Oxford, but for medicine at higher levels in the UK you actually have a certified person (actual dr with no confilct of interest) sitting in to make sure that the canditate is not wiking anything during the phone interview. Though now I hear that they've done away with phone interviews

Ahaha wow. Good to know!
Yay! Let's. :smile: We'll split the money 50/50? :biggrin:

Alright, that sounds like a deal :biggrin:. Maybe we'll make so much money that we don't even have to go to University anymore :tongue:

Have you ever read Prometheus? The word Opfersteuern is mentioned :tongue: (for non-Germanists, that's sacrificial offerings)...

Oh I did, I had to analyze the whole writing in 4000 words and I got.. *now has to brag how good he was at writing that analytical essay because usually he sucks at German lit and this one made him secretly proud* .. 14 points in it :wink: So I guess you're linking it to the Aztecs? Very clever!!! :smile:
You, maybe, but I'm heading out for mine tomorrow. :colonhash:

Oh really? I prefer to fight in air, rather than on water :wink: If you see my super-duper-shooting-aircraft-thing then be sure to wave at me from your boat! :biggrin:

Original post by medbh4805
Yeah, it's because one usually learns Latin and Greek for the purpose of reading literature, and that is the vocabulary that is useful, especially for prose narratives, political speeches etc e.g. Xenophon, Lysias, Cicero, etc which are the first kind of texts you're likely to deal with (unseen verse translation isn't assessed until A2) so it makes sense if you think of it that way :colonhash:

I should probably just watch less 'Allo 'Allo. :colondollar:

Ah yes that makes sense! :tongue: i forget about things like that, probably because i've never done any language qualifications and such as :frown: The closest i get in school is studying already translated texts in englishlit, although i love the way they all have such powerful sounding names! :tongue: I think if i ever decided to learn ancient Greek it'd be to read their mythology in the original languages, mmmm mythology...

is it bad that i've never watched that? :tongue:

Oh I did, I had to analyze the whole writing in 4000 words and I got.. *now has to brag how good he was at writing that analytical essay because usually he sucks at German lit and this one made him secretly proud* .. 14 points in it :wink: So I guess you're linking it to the Aztecs? Very clever!!! :smile:

I might send it to you if you like, when it's done? What points did you make it your essay? I'm so interested to hear :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending