The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wow no KCL or UCL?

and nottingham has course that offers BBC hmmmmm lol
Bath, lancaster, leicester?
Reply 22
Original post by intellectual1
Those are statistics for those that attained AAB grades. It may well be that UCL has a higher number of students with significantly higher grades? It was the global university of the year recently was'nt it? :confused: Entry requirements at UCL tend to be higher than AAB for many courses.

Original post by logic123
where is UCL?

They've got the wording wrong. 96% of Imperial students had at least AAB, the same goes for LSE (93%). I don't know where UCL is, it definitely should be there - maybe it didn't release any information or was omitted for some reason?
Reply 23
I attend one of them.

Reply 24
bla
Reply 25
Original post by samarisa
bla

Your first ever post on TSR, and you come up with this ?!
Reply 26
Original post by chrislpp
I attend one of them.

I guess you go to Imperial then, seeing as it's a sausage fest :wink:
Reply 27
Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton, elite ???? Really ??

Thank you to all of those who are supporting me, and helping me to counter the snobbery and the pathetic level of self praise on TSR. Ooooh, look at me, I am special. I go to an elite uni, which is ***t really. lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by whattheheck
" "The remainder of bright students living in the UK are shared between ..."

The author of this report clearly does not know the difference between England and the UK.

Data were published by HEFCE and so only account for universities in England. Many of the UK's top universities are not in England -- e.g. Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Stirling.

I wonder how different the picture looks when the rest of the UK is included."

A comment from the article.

Yeah I was going to say this...what about St Andrews?

Also, I'm presuming this article disregards people with Scottish qualifications/the IB?
Reply 29
It's to be expected that top students will mostly attend top universities.
Reply 30
Just like to add does this include postgrad students?

Also my sister has an offer of BBB from UCL which she thinks she'll just about get.
Reply 31
Original post by Millz
Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton, elite ???? Really ??

Yep. Overall league tables are BS tbh. It's how good a uni is at the subject you want to study that matters.
Reply 32
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8635891/Top-students-concentrated-in-just-12-elite-universities.html

It shows that the highest number of AAB students attend Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

Figures also show 99 per cent of Oxford and Cambridge's UK students in 2009/10 achieved at least AAB the highest rate in the country.

Imperial College in London admitted 944 students with AAB, equating to 96 per cent of their intake, while 93 per cent of students at the London School of Economics 617 in total had these grades.

If anything im shocked that it is 99% and not 100% for Oxbridge given the number of straight A students they turn away
Emphatically obvious, and yet some people still hold these kind of facts and figures in disdain. KCL's omission seemed odd, but it actually has a number of ABB and BBB courses, so it fits. UCL's omission in bizarre though.
Original post by jacob7191
If anything im shocked that it is 99% and not 100% for Oxbridge given the number of straight A students they turn away

Cambridge do have matriculation offers of EE for some students:rolleyes: BBB offers also exist at Cambridge on the Access scheme widening participation...Oxford is known to give some students lower offers for those from disadvantage backgrounds as well...There are also some students who still get admitted with ABB...it is'nt unheard of at all.
Reply 35
Original post by chaz1992
Yep. Overall league tables are BS tbh. It's how good a uni is at the subject you want to study that matters.

UCL, KCL, York and Lancaster, they are better than a lot of the universities I highlighted.

Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton

Yeah, I agree with you. Leeds and Birmingham are the biggest jokes there, what makes this even more BS is the fact that those "best students" do not achieve the best grades. Looooooooool, BS man, this is not the Ivy League. I think that people are just looking for ego boosts, lol. My response to that, get a first!!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Exeter? Russell group? really? :confused:
Reply 37
It only includes AAB students, KCL and UCL tend to have far greater numbers achieving in excess of AAB, with alot of A*AA and AAA students. However they also have lower offers for many of their other courses.

Original post by Misery
That explains it, then.

And all of the others don't? Oxford let in just 36 people with AAB last year.

Its because UCL and KCL are smaller unis, and this data is about absolute numbers not proportions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jon of the North
Emphatically obvious, and yet some people still hold these kind of facts and figures in disdain. KCL's omission seemed odd, but it actually has a number of ABB and BBB courses, so it fits. UCL's omission in bizarre though.

You must remember that the Science/Engineering courses at UCL tend to admit students with grades lower than AAB.

KCL however was known to admit students with significantly lower grades for many of their Science/Engineering courses.

Also note how many of the other universities part of the 12 elite, down sized subjects like Computer Science significantly. Imperial, Manchester notably reduced the size of their Comp Sci depts etc
Reply 39
here are also some students who still get admitted with ABB...it is'nt unheard of at all.

It is pretty unheard of. Even AAB at Oxbridge is pretty damn unusual.

Latest

Trending

Trending