The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by intellectual1
That sure does as UCL is on par with Imperial and LSE in many courses.

but as UCL offers different courses which require different entry requirements that's why its lacking behind plus the other two universities only offer small amount of courses anyways.
Reply 61
Original post by FinalMH
This is not done on percentage of STUDENTS. This is just done on overall amount of students. With UCL and KCL not having as much students as the other options then they won't be able to compete.

If we were doing this based on percentage of students then UCL would be in it as well.

Manchester number of students with AAB = 2623/6562 = 0.3997256933861628 = 39%

UCL AAB - 1376/2712 = 0.5073746312684366 = 50%

That kind of tells a different story ^^^

Point received friend; therefore, this is just a BS story??

Why do people on TSR like to blow their own horns though?

Should they not just focus on trying to get a fist at uni?
Reply 62
Original post by FinalMH
This is not done on percentage of STUDENTS. This is just done on overall amount of students. With UCL and KCL not having as much students as the other options then they won't be able to compete.

If we were doing this based on percentage of students then UCL would be in it as well.

Ok, but why didn't they get special mention like LSE/ICL did?

And Oxbridge don't accept a great amt of students, do they?
Reply 63
Original post by Rainman88
It's based on numbers of students and not proportions. UCL has fewer undergraduates than the other universities mentioned. In terms of percentage, UCL would be in the top 12.

My mistake, I always forget UCL isn't as large as I tend to think.

Original post by Focus08
Ok, but why didn't they get special mention like LSE/ICL did?

And Oxbridge don't accept a great amt of students, do they?

IC and LSE did have pretty ridiculously high percentages, so are worth mentioning. Someone above quoted 50% for UCL, which is a bit less newsworthy(don't know where it came from though).
Not a huge amount of students, but virtually all have AAA or above.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by FinalMH
but as UCL offers different courses which require different entry requirements that's why its lacking behind plus the other two universities only offer small amount of courses anyways.

KCL and UCL, are lacking behind, really ???

Loooooooooooooool. Go to America and ask them, have you heard of, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by FinalMH

accurate to the nearest femtostudent... impressive :rolleyes:
Reply 66
Original post by Millz

Loooooooooooooool, Go to America and ask them, have you heard of, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

i think you miss understood my point, because they offer more course with lower entry requirements their OVERALL amount of students with higher grades will be affected

PS i m going to KCL this September :L
For places like imperial do international students warp the results, as they may not have A levels
Reply 68
Original post by FinalMH
Yes this is BS, its just to wide up people.

Imperial didn't do as good as everyone making out they got 57% :eek: with AAB or higher, LSE got 70%, Leeds on the otherhand got 37%? :eek::eek::eek: and now its elite?

Given the article in question states IC and LSE both got over 90%, I'm curious where your figures have come from?
Reply 69
Original post by FinalMH
Yes this is BS, its just to wide up people.

Imperial didn't do as good as everyone making out they got 57% :eek: with AAB or higher, LSE got 70%, Leeds on the otherhand got 37%? :eek::eek::eek: and now its elite?

Ratings for you. You are not stuck up your own **s, like these kids on here.
Reply 70
Original post by intellectual1
Figures also show 99 per cent of Oxford and Cambridge's UK students in 2009/10 achieved at least AAB

Is that all?
Reply 71
Original post by Slumpy
Given the article in question states IC and LSE both got over 90%, I'm curious where your figures have come from?

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/hefce/2011/11_20/11_20d.xls
Reply 72

Your own link says IC has 96% AAB+ and LSE 93%.
Edit-with regards to your deleted post, you aren't taking into account people for whom results weren't known.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Slumpy
Your own link says IC has 96% AAB+ and LSE 93%.
Edit-with regards to your deleted post, you aren't taking into account people for whom results weren't known.

Yes i know :laugh: i aint math student
Reply 74
There was a mention of it including grades in excess of AAB in the article but it wasn't very obvious. I would think Oxford and Cambridge have a higher proportion of A*AA than AAB by quite a long way now that competition is increasing, unless of course the statistics are based on all students enrolled and not on the first years that can have A*'s.
Reply 75
Original post by Kim-x
There was a mention of it including grades in excess of AAB in the article but it wasn't very obvious. I would think Oxford and Cambridge have a higher proportion of A*AA than AAB by quite a long way now that competition is increasing, unless of course the statistics are based on all students enrolled and not on the first years that can have A*'s.

Stats are based on all students enrolled.
Reply 76
I have never in my whole life been less surprised by a statistic.
Reply 77
Original post by Kim-x

The whole article is based on AAB or greater.
Reply 78
Original post by Millz

Loooooooooooooool. Go to America and ask them, have you heard of, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I am in America. I have not met a single student here who knows about ICL and LSE. Let alone UCL where I am gonna go. Hell some have not even heard of Oxbridge. Sooooooooooooooooooooo : )
Reply 79
Original post by choices
I am in America. I have not met a single student here who knows about ICL and LSE. Let alone UCL where I am gonna go. Hell some have not even heard of Oxbridge. Sooooooooooooooooooooo : )

What universities in the UK have they heard of then?? or have they never heard of any?

Latest

Trending

Trending