The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by choices
I am in America. I have not met a single student here who knows about ICL and LSE. Let alone UCL where I am gonna go. Hell some have not even heard of Oxbridge. Sooooooooooooooooooooo : )

All academics know about LSE, do not make me laugh, Hayek=LSE.

Oxford people know about, UCL and KCL people know about due to medicine :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Kim-x
There was a mention of it including grades in excess of AAB in the article but it wasn't very obvious.

Second sentence: Some 26,121 out of 50,712 students who gained at least two As and a B[...]. Come on now, surely that's obvious enough?
Original post by logic123
where is UCL?

I was about to say London. :biggrin:

HATERS GONNA HATE!!! :L
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by intellectual1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8635891/Top-students-concentrated-in-just-12-elite-universities.html

It shows that the highest number of AAB students attend Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

Figures also show 99 per cent of Oxford and Cambridge's UK students in 2009/10 achieved at least AAB the highest rate in the country.

Imperial College in London admitted 944 students with AAB, equating to 96 per cent of their intake, while 93 per cent of students at the London School of Economics 617 in total had these grades.

It's funny because this thread was void of intellect, "intellectual1".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
After which they then talk about AAB students and proportions of AAB on a number of occasions, so it would be easy enough to overlook the inclusion of those with higher grades in these statistics if you only read part of the article.
Reply 85
Original post by choices
I am in America. I have not met a single student here who knows about ICL and LSE. Let alone UCL where I am gonna go. Hell some have not even heard of Oxbridge. Sooooooooooooooooooooo : )

Have they heard about England?:redface:
Reply 86
Original post by Millz
All academics know about LSE, do not make me laugh, Hayek=LSE.

Oxford people know about, UCL and KCL people know about due to medicine :smile:

I go to a top 5% public school in the US.(really doesn't say much but it gives some perspective at least). I asked around, teachers, other students hell if it wasn't for my dad(who grew up in the UK) I wouldn't even have bothered applying off to the UK. Now bear in mind most of the people I mix around with are people who are aiming for HYPSM tier schools. People don't know about foreign schools unless they do at least some research into the topic. Go and read the international forum here at TSR or on College confidential. You'll see questions like IS LSE ANY GOOD? or people asking for a list of good schools in the UK.

My statement about oxford was qualified with SOME. Academics are not representative of the general populace and I was responding to a statement about the general populace. But the fact of the matter still stands. Even the people shooting for the top schools here in the US with GPA's in the 3.9's and SAT scores in the 2300's that I have met have not heard of ICL, LSE or UCL. : ) : ). Do you have any experience with americans?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Theophile
Have they heard about England?:redface:

LOL. You know those stereotypes about Americans being dumb? There is some truth to that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually couldn't locate England on a map here.
Reply 88
Original post by FinalMH
What universities in the UK have they heard of then?? or have they never heard of any?

Most have heard about Oxbridge. That's about it.
Well, since it's rare for the students to be able to even get onto the course with grades lower, it's hardly surprising :p:
Reply 90
Original post by choices
I go to a top 5% public school in the US.(really doesn't say much but it gives some perspective at least). I asked around, teachers, other students hell if it wasn't for my dad(who grew up in the UK) I wouldn't even have bothered applying off to the UK. Now bear in mind most of the people I mix around with are people who are aiming for HYPSM tier schools. People don't know about foreign schools unless they do at least some research into the topic. Go and read the international forum here at TSR or on College confidential. You'll see questions like IS LSE ANY GOOD? or people asking for a list of good schools in the UK.

My statement about oxford was qualified with SOME. Academics are not representative of the general populace and I was responding to a statement about the general populace. But the fact of the matter still stands. Even the people shooting for the top schools here in the US with GPA's in the 3.9's and SAT scores in the 2300's that I have met have not heard of ICL, LSE or UCL. : ) : ). Do you have any experience with americans?

Yes. The majority of my family live there. You lot are really arrogant to be honest, Lol. All my cousins know are Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and MIT ECT. But I know that academics would have heard of UCL, LSE and Oxford due to their research. I know that the general populace have not, I mean, I got asked where London is, for God sake. Then I also got asked, so, have you had tea and scones with the queen?

Looooooooooool, Americans, you got to love them. hahaaha
Reply 91
Original post by choices
LOL. You know those stereotypes about Americans being dumb? There is some truth to that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually couldn't locate England on a map here.

Just for the sake of this thread I've just called seven of my friends in America (I go there a lot, family etc), asked them if they've ever heard of; Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Oxbridge.

Oxford - 7/7
Cambridge - 7/7
LSE - 4/7
UCL - 3/7
ICL - 5/7
Reply 92
I had to chance to firm southampton so i feel smart,
Thanks for making my day :biggrin:
Reply 93
Original post by DdotT
I had to chance to firm southampton so i feel smart,
Thanks for making my day :biggrin:

Southampton, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Reply 94
Original post by Millz
Yes. The majority of my family live there. You lot are really arrogant to be honest, Lol. All my cousins know are Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and MIT ECT. But I know that academics would have heard of UCL, LSE and Oxford due to their research. I know that the general populace have not, I mean, I got asked where London is, for God sake. Then I also got asked, so, have you had tea and scones with the queen?

Looooooooooool, Americans, you got to love them. hahaaha

Arrogant? I'm not even an American. I grew up in Singapore and I've only been here for a few years. All I've been communicating so far have been my experiences with Americans here. I think UCL, LSE and Oxbridge are great schools. I wouldn't desire to come here and have my parents spend a hundred thousand pounds on me if I didn't deem an education here world class. My bringing up of the people I go to school with was to give context as to the kind of people that I base my experience from and to demonstrate that I'm not just talking about the stereotypical redneck flag waving ignorant Americans. I got the impression earlier on that you were saying that Americans in general have not heard of Leeds, Exeter, Southhampton etcetcetc and I was saying that based on my experience that's not only the case with those schools but with most of the Universities in the UK as a whole.

On an unrelated note do Leeds, Exeter ,southhampton etcetc not do research either?
Won't academics here in the US have heard of those schools too?
Reply 95
Original post by Millz
Southampton, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Since you're mocking Southampton, I take it, you're off to Ox/Cam? or maybe even Warwick/UCL/ICL/LSE? :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by sophia_
Just for the sake of this thread I've just called seven of my friends in America (I go there a lot, family etc), asked them if they've ever heard of; Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Oxbridge.

Oxford - 7/7
Cambridge - 7/7
LSE - 4/7
UCL - 3/7
ICL - 5/7

Ok. Maybe its just the areas that I lived in or visited where that's the case then. Or it could be that your friends have some prior knowledge of the UK that might lead to that response from them(after all you are from the UK I presume) it could be because they want to or have friends that want to study in the UK, have family in the UK, a valedictorian or highly ranked person went off to UCL/LSE/ICL/Oxbridge in the UK etcetcetc. You and I would both agree(I hope) that 7 is hardly a statistically valid sample size. My opinions are based on what I have experienced during competitions where I've had to go to other states, experiences with other students at the schools in both Illinois and Texas, opinions I have read while doing research about the UK and exchanges with my robotics mentors who work at exxon and shell. The question "where do you want to go to University" or "where are you going to University" comes up a lot. I've given up on saying UCL and now just say some school in London.
Reply 97
Original post by choices
Ok. Maybe its just the areas that I lived in or visited where that's the case then. Or it could be that your friends have some prior knowledge of the UK that might lead to that response from them(after all you are from the UK I presume) it could be because they want to or have friends that want to study in the UK, have family in the UK, a valedictorian or highly ranked person went off to UCL/LSE/ICL/Oxbridge in the UK etcetcetc. You and I would both agree(I hope) that 7 is hardly a statistically valid sample size. My opinions are based on what I have experienced during competitions where I've had to go to other states, experiences with other students at the schools in both Illinois and Texas, opinions I have read while doing research about the UK and exchanges with my robotics mentors who work at exxon and shell. The question "where do you want to go to University" or "where are you going to University" comes up a lot. I've given up on saying UCL and now just say some school in London.

I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything! I just thought I'd call the people I know and see, just for the sake of it. :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by Millz
UCL and KCL, for example, get the best out of students who may not have received the best grades. That is the true mark of a good university, I believe.

Some of the others named do not perform that grate with, supposedly, better students.

I hope you don't study English at whichever elite Uni you're at!
But on another note, I met many, many American people studying in Barcelona recently. They were hard pressed to name a city in England that wasn't London or Manchester - I therefore very much doubt they would be able to name many English Uni's; elite or otherwise.
Reply 99
Original post by sophia_
I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything! I just thought I'd call the people I know and see, just for the sake of it. :smile:

Well the statistic shocked me a tad bit. =D That and I tend to go off writing long responses >.>.

Latest

Trending

Trending