The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Junaid16
Since you're mocking Southampton, I take it, you're off to Ox/Cam? or maybe even Warwick/UCL/ICL/LSE? :smile:

No. I got an offer from Lancaster and York, which are both better than Southampton, I know many people who go there any they are, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
Reply 101
Original post by intellectual1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8635891/Top-students-concentrated-in-just-12-elite-universities.html

It shows that the highest number of AAB students attend Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

Oh yeeeah, I is teh smart. Derp.
This article is ridiculous. What about those smart students who did not have their hand held when they chose their a level subjects, or during those two years? What about the smart students who had to help out at home while studying? What about the ones who are talented who didn't have amazing private school classes with 5 people per class?

The above is why A level grades are a poor indication of intelligence. That's aside from the actual A levels themselves. University is where you really shine, and more so in the real world, where these little letters will have no relevance at all.
Original post by Millz
No. I got an offer from Lancaster and York, which are both better than Southampton, I know many people who go there any they are, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

You personally knowing smart people going to Lancaster means nothing on how good the university is (other than it is good). I know someone who turned down an offer from Oxford to go to Southampton - it's all down to personal preference. I have no idea about Lancaster but I personally don't see a huge difference between the top universities (excluding the very top). Some have better prestige, but at the end of the day, they are all teaching pretty much the same things in similar environments.
Original post by Millz
All academics know about LSE, do not make me laugh, Hayek=LSE.

Oxford people know about, UCL and KCL people know about due to medicine :smile:

Original post by FinalMH
What universities in the UK have they heard of then?? or have they never heard of any?

Original post by choices
I am in America. I have not met a single student here who knows about ICL and LSE. Let alone UCL where I am gonna go. Hell some have not even heard of Oxbridge. Sooooooooooooooooooooo : )

I know people who have lived in the UK all their lives that have not heard of Oxbridge. Its not that unusual.

Although TSR would actually burn them at the stake. :mob:
I think OP is joking us about
Original post by Misery
No UCL or KCL in this list, but there is Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton? Incredibly peculiar.

Does this not include AAA-A*AA students, or are they swept in with the AAB students as 'above'?

The table uses absolute numbers of those with ABB or higher grades:

1 University of Manchester 2776
2 University of Durham 2581
3 University of Oxford 2568
4 University of Cambridge 2554
5 University of Nottingham 2505
6 University of Leeds 2376
7 University of Exeter 2368
8 University of Bristol 2199
9 University of Warwick 2068
10 University of Birmingham 1883
11 University of Sheffield 1846
12 University of Southampton 1686

Obviously no one in their right minds will think Manchester and Durham attract better students than Oxbridge, or even Nottingham attract better students than the London Top 4 (LSE, Imperial, UCL and KCL).

If you change the table into percentages , it changes drastically and is more reflective of what we can term as top unis:

1. University of Oxford 99.4%
2. University of Cambridge 99.1%
3. Imperial College London 95.7%
4. London School of Economics 92.5%
5. University of Durham 84.7%
6. University of Bristol 84.6%
7. University College London 82.4%
8. University of Warwick 81.0%
9. University of Exeter 74.3%
10. University of Bath 69.0%
11. King's College 67.9%
12. School of Oriental and African Studies 57.0%

You still have to take even this table with a pinch of salt as some universities offer courses that requires low grades and students taking the course are a significant proportion of their students which will affect their scores. KCL will not have a chance in this kind of assessment. For example, 20% of the entire KCL student body is in the Nursing school, where the grades required is BCC. This is factored into the average and brings their scores down. This will also affect schools like Southampton, York and Nottingham (10%) with huge Nursing schools.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz

You do realise that it isn't mandatory to put LOOOL at the end of every sentence. As a prospective Exeter student, your comments would probably cause me some concern over my choice. However, you've clearly shown yourself to be a vacuous cretin, so I don't think I'll lose any sleep.

Also, that you rate Lancaster so highly is lamentable. I'm guessing this is purely based on how highly it's been ranked in the tables recently? LOOOOOOOOOOL.

FYI, I rejected York for Exeter.

FROM THE PREVIOUS POST. A list of the percent of top students at each University.

11. King's College 67.9%

Obviously, that this is based on percentage and not 'numbers of students', it voids any arguement of student population being distortive.
WHERE ARE THEY? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Millz
Southampton, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

top 3rd of 4th for Engineerings so....
Reply 109
LOL School of Oriental and African Studies, the 57% must be oriental. ya get me?
Reply 110
Original post by DdotT
top 3rd of 4th for Engineerings so....

Ooooohh, so is that what it is good for ?
Reply 111
Original post by Millz
Ooooohh, so is that what it is good for ?

Well I've had an offer from them, it's a good Russell Group uni with strong research and expertise (especially in science and engineering), generally ranks higher than others such as Manchester/Leeds/Cardiff/Newcastle etc...I think over the years it's undoubtedly done better in tables than Lancaster (though Lan looks very strong recently).
If we take a look at average entry tariff scores of English Unis used by the Times and Guardian (that is removing St Andrews and Edinburgh), the top 12 are:

1. University of Cambridge 556
2. University of Oxford 535
3. Imperial College London 514
4. London School of Economics 512
5. University of Durham 485
6. University of Warwick 480
7. University College London 474
8. University of Bristol 465
9. University of Bath 456
10. King's College 444
11. University of Exeter 437
12. University of York 434

Comparing this with the earlier table of proportion getting AAB+ above, this indicates that of those that get AAB+, the ones in Cambridge get far above that AAB score on average than those in Oxford that get above that AAB score.

People with scores of AAB+ at Warwick get far above the AAB scores on average than UCL, and UCL far more the score on average than Bristol. Bath and KCL far more on average than Exeter.
Original post by LutherVan
If we take a look at average entry tariff scores of English Unis used by the Times and Guardian (that is removing St Andrews and Edinburgh), the top 12 are:

1. University of Cambridge 556
2. University of Oxford 535
3. Imperial College London 514
4. London School of Economics 512
5. University of Durham 485
6. University of Warwick 480
7. University College London 474
8. University of Bristol 465
9. University of Bath 456
10. King's College 444
11. University of Exeter 437
12. University of York 434

Comparing this with the earlier table of proportion getting AAB+ above, this indicates that of those that get AAB+, the ones in Cambridge get far above that AAB score on average than those in Oxford that get above that AAB score.

People with scores of AAB+ at Warwick get far above the AAB scores on average than UCL, and UCL far more the score on average than Bristol. Bath and KCL far more on average than Exeter.

There is barely a difference between the average UCAS points of those at Durham and those at Bristol...
Original post by Rainman88
There is barely a difference between the average UCAS points of those at Durham and those at Bristol...

Maybe.

But the figures are of those that enroll at the schools, which suggest that people that attend Durham actually achieve higher than the required average UCAS grades.

So for example, if Durham and Bristol both show on UCAS that they require AAB at A-levels for the students that want to study Physics. The students that finally enter Bristol might get on average AAB, while those that enter at Durham might get AAAb on average. That is, these tariffs suggest the Durham students on average exceed the requirement than Bristol students.
Reply 115
Maybe.

But the figures are of those that enroll at the schools, which suggest that people that attend Durham actually achieve higher than the required average UCAS grades.

So for example, if Durham and Bristol both show on UCAS that they require AAB at A-levels for the students that want to study Physics. The students that finally enter Bristol might get on average AAB, while those that enter at Durham might get AAAb on average. That is, these tariffs suggest the Durham students on average exceed the requirement than Bristol students.

The point was that the 20 ucas point difference is virtually nothing. You used to get more than that for a 1 at standard grade.
Original post by Slumpy
The point was that the 20 ucas point difference is virtually nothing. You used to get more than that for a 1 at standard grade.

I agree, but it does show the demarcations:

- Top 2 (Oxbridge)
- Top 4 (Oxbridge + LSE + Imperial)
- Top Unis (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and about 7 to 10 others)

The small difference between the new entries in each bracket is virtually nothing.

Not much difference between Cambridge and Oxford, not much difference between LSE and Imperial, not much difference between the next 10 universities.

This poster classified it fairly nicely: http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.128.html#msg5905180
Reply 117
Bearing in mind that Oxfords lowest offer is AAA, and Cambridge's is A*AA, unless Clare think that you are the next Einstein and give you EE, then what kind of fool is surprised at everyone there having at least AAB?
The table uses absolute numbers of those with ABB or higher grades:

1 University of Manchester 2776
2 University of Durham 2581
3 University of Oxford 2568
4 University of Cambridge 2554
5 University of Nottingham 2505
6 University of Leeds 2376
7 University of Exeter 2368
8 University of Bristol 2199
9 University of Warwick 2068
10 University of Birmingham 1883
11 University of Sheffield 1846
12 University of Southampton 1686

Obviously no one in their right minds will think Manchester and Durham attract better students than Oxbridge, or even Nottingham attract better students than the London Top 4 (LSE, Imperial, UCL and KCL).

If you change the table into percentages , it changes drastically and is more reflective of what we can term as top unis:

11. King's College 67.9%

You still have to take even this table with a pinch of salt as some universities offer courses that requires low grades and students taking the course are a significant proportion of their students which will affect their scores. KCL will not have a chance in this kind of assessment. For example, 20% of the entire KCL student body is in the Nursing school, where the grades required is BCC. This is factored into the average and brings their scores down. This will also affect schools like Southampton, York and Nottingham (10%) with huge Nursing schools.

Great post, but where's the source?
I dont see ucl or bath in this list. End of

Latest

Trending

Trending