The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Mature Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
'Mature' student here. I'm also 22! :tongue: I'm going for Japanese Studies but I don't know what accommodation I'm going for yet, I'm pretty determined on bringing my pets with me so it might have to be private, but we'll see.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
I've applied for Opal 2, but I wrote in the free text box that my main priority is actually to live with other people in their 20s.
Reply 22
Original post by GuineaPrig
'Mature' student here. I'm also 22! :tongue: I'm going for Japanese Studies but I don't know what accommodation I'm going for yet, I'm pretty determined on bringing my pets with me so it might have to be private, but we'll see.

Hi GuineaPrig *waves* I'm 22 in December and starting Japanese Studies too :wink: See you in Seppppppppppppptember!

Em...the accommodation site has a list of dos and don'ts and I think pets are a don't :frown:. Check first though!!!! I know someone is sneaking their turtle with them. What kind of pets do you have? Or is that a stupid question? :colondollar:
Reply 23
Original post by 07734
Hi GuineaPrig *waves* I'm 22 in December and starting Japanese Studies too :wink: See you in Seppppppppppppptember!

Em...the accommodation site has a list of dos and don'ts and I think pets are a don't :frown:. Check first though!!!! I know someone is sneaking their turtle with them. What kind of pets do you have? Or is that a stupid question? :colondollar:

I've met quite a few 'mature' students that are going to be doing Japanese at Sheffield this year! Excellent. :biggrin:

Yeah I've no chance of going into halls with pets, I have 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs who I really can't bear to leave behind, I'll probably look into renting a house with other people, I've seen a few adverts that say they don't mind pets, so that's always an option. I'm trying to train myself into thinking about leaving them behind though because it'll probably be much cheaper and easier, but on the other hand it'll probably a lot harder emotionally what with moving and all that upheaval.

I don't really mind not going into halls to be honest though, I'm coming to university firstly and foremostly to study Japanese because I love it and I find it fun and have wanted to get my teeth stuck in for ages, so while it's good to have fun and let your hair down I'm not sure if I could stand people running up and down corridors at 3am screaming and knocking on doors most nights, especially with a really intense course like this that has a huge workload. I could see myslelf probably having a mental breakdown or something. So if I have to sacrifice the wonderful experience of halls (:confused::biggrin:) for a slightly more relaxed living environment in order to strike a good balance, then that's okay with me. XD

edit: oh, and hi! :biggrin: Too busy rambling. :blush:
Reply 24
This is a fairly old thread, but is there anyone else in their 20s off to Sheffield in September? (I'm 23) :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by DuskyC
This is a fairly old thread, but is there anyone else in their 20s off to Sheffield in September? (I'm 23) :smile:

I'll be 21 when I start :smile:. I was reading through the registration documents yesterday and apparently 21 or over and your classed as a mature student :eek:.

Have you applied for halls?
Reply 26
Original post by DuskyC

I'm 24, also starting in September!
Reply 27
Original post by trublu1883
I'll be 21 when I start :smile:. I was reading through the registration documents yesterday and apparently 21 or over and your classed as a mature student :eek:.

Have you applied for halls?

Yeah, I think that's standard though.. you're either young or mature, there's no in between!

I've applied for shared bathroom halls (i.e. Broad Lane Court, Endcliffe Vale flats or Crescent flats) and stated that I want to share with other students in their 20s. How about you?
Reply 28
Original post by iris01
I'm 24, also starting in September!

Ooh what are you studying? Have you applied for uni accommodation?
Reply 29
Screen translation.
I have, just received confirmation today.. to broad lane court.
I have to accept or decline before next week... not sure what to do though. The rooms are quite small and there is no common room apart from the kitchen. Don't feel like being stuck in the tiny room all day!
How about you?
Reply 30
Original post by DuskyC
Yeah, I think that's standard though.. you're either young or mature, there's no in between!

I've applied for shared bathroom halls (i.e. Broad Lane Court, Endcliffe Vale flats or Crescent flats) and stated that I want to share with other students in their 20s. How about you?

I've just had my offer through today for Howden :smile:

Have you received your offer yet? Will be interesting to see if 'mature' students are put together...
Reply 31
I'm the oldest one here!!! I'm 26 and I'll be studying a PhD in molecular biology and biotechnology, and I've just received an offer for Opal 2.
Reply 32
Sorry I am, just :-) I'm 27 and i've applied for shared bathroom Endcliffe. I'm doing Materials Science and Engineering.
Reply 33
I've applied for self-catering shared bathroom accommodation - either Broad Lane Court or Endcliffe :smile: does anyone know when I'll receive my offer of accommodation? Will it be when I send confirmation of my results (hopefully within the next two weeks!)?
Reply 34
I'll be 22 in December :smile: Studying postgrad course in Archaeology, but I've opted for Omnia Space halls, which I think are down the road from Broad Lane :smile:
Reply 35
I got my offer in less than two weeks, with an unconditional offer, so I'm not sure if it takes longer if you need to hand something in? :smile: I am officially going to broad lane court, but I asked them to change my contract to 42 weeks in stead of 51 weeks. Just in case I do want to change, or move to private accommodation before starting my thesis.
Reply 36
I'm 25 and I got allocated to Red Lane... Anyone with me?
Reply 37
Original post by iris01
I got my offer in less than two weeks, with an unconditional offer, so I'm not sure if it takes longer if you need to hand something in? :smile: I am officially going to broad lane court, but I asked them to change my contract to 42 weeks in stead of 51 weeks. Just in case I do want to change, or move to private accommodation before starting my thesis.

I've applied for Broad Lane Court :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by DuskyC
I've applied for Broad Lane Court :smile:

Did you hear back from them yet?
Reply 39
Original post by iris01
Did you hear back from them yet?

Not yet. I've got a conditional offer - get my results this week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending